INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Lacerta MGEN support?

• Thank you received: 19

@TallFurryMan

So do you expose via MGen (dithering) or via kstars?
And is the Meridian flip automated with your setup or do you do it manually?
I bought a extension for my tripod, so the telescope would not hit the tripod so soon, what sometimes saves me the flip. I did not do that do often because the few times i tried it with the handbox flip function, ended on completely wrong coordinates.
Is there a flip function somewhere integrated in kstars?

Cheers
Niki

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk
Skywatcher EQ6-R | Lacerta 10" Carbon-Newton | Lacerta MFoc Motorfocus | Moravian G2 8300 Color | Canon EOS 5DMarkIIIa | Lodestar X2 guiding cam | KSTARS 3.4.3. on my outdoor-Laptop with KDE-Neon/Plasma | KSTARS 3.4.3. on Remote-IMac with Catalina | KSTARS 3.4.3 on Remote-Macbook Air with Catalina
6 years 1 month ago #23358

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 301

Replied by Eric on topic Re:Lacerta MGEN support?

I own an Atik camera, so there's no possibility of exposure control from the MGen through its shutter cable. This would be needed for dithering. I did not check if the protocol provided information on a running exposure, in order to start and stop an exposure on an external camera, but I'm not sure it would be interesting to embed this into the INDI/Ekos architecture, more oriented towards centralized control. However, if the general trend is to move towards more "intelligent" INDI drivers, able to manage a data value chain, this would be a fine addition.

About meridian flip, yes, it is integrated to Ekos, but only when you use the Scheduler and the tracking module. Or when you slew to a target manually, of course.

Because the current implementation does not allow to stop and restart guiding automatically, guiding is engaged manually once for all until the user pauses it. Thus the tracking modules of the Ekos scheduler cannot be used in the scheduler with the MGen, the user has to align first and keep that until the end of the sequence. If the tracking modules were used, it would most certainly make the MGen loose the guide star. Those modules manage meridian flip, so again a compatibility issue there.

However this analysis shows that the first feature to implement today is automated stop/start/calibration of the MGen guider in the INDI driver. This is what I started in the branch mentioned above. Second feature is connecting that automation to Ekos. My own idea was to use the PHD2 protocol, but I'm interested in what @voidpointer is doing.

-Eric
The following user(s) said Thank You: the.cakemaker
6 years 1 month ago #23359

• Thank you received: 19
Hey There!

Just wanted to know if there is some progress with implementing the mgen as full guiding solution...

cheers
Niki
Skywatcher EQ6-R | Lacerta 10" Carbon-Newton | Lacerta MFoc Motorfocus | Moravian G2 8300 Color | Canon EOS 5DMarkIIIa | Lodestar X2 guiding cam | KSTARS 3.4.3. on my outdoor-Laptop with KDE-Neon/Plasma | KSTARS 3.4.3. on Remote-IMac with Catalina | KSTARS 3.4.3 on Remote-Macbook Air with Catalina
5 years 11 months ago #24714

Not yet on my side! I'm still working on the Ekos Scheduler, trying hard not to break anything :)

-Eric
The following user(s) said Thank You: the.cakemaker, Jose Corazon
5 years 11 months ago #24719

• Thank you received: 11

Replied by Andreas on topic Re:Lacerta MGEN support?

Hi there,

does an external guider in general or in special Mgen, send a "finished with dithering ready to expose" signal? So the guider is mastering the time of exposure?
If you had multiple (hardware)camera servers on one mount each firing a camera on its own, they all could listen to this and expose simultanously...

dreaming of some dragonflylike

Andreas
5 years 11 months ago #24945

Good point. There's no support yet for dithering functions in the MGen driver, but it would be nice to have when the PHD2 protocol is up and running (if that's the path that is chosen).

-Eric
5 years 11 months ago #24947

Time to create page: 1.892 seconds