INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Canon DSLR Connected to Raspberry Pi Not Connect

• Thank you received: 7
Sorry if this is really dumb but I'm something of a novice and am unsure how to diagnose/resolve hence seeking advice.

Setup: Raspberry Pi3 loaded with IndiLib (not Kstars/Ekos). Two devices connected to RPi iEQ45 Pro and Canon DSLR. KStars/Ekos on Ubuntu. Everything loaded/setup within the last few days.

Problem: Server on RPi starts through Indi Web Manager fine. Connect to (Start) remote Indiserver from Ubuntu KStars/Ekos connects to server Ok, iEQ45 will connect and work fine but the Canon DSLR always says "Cannot open camera: Power OK?"

Note: I do not have a serial/usb shutter release and am only using the single USB cable to he camera. I see in the Indi control panel Canon DSLR>Main control (tab) that the Shutter release is "green" - don't know if this is because it is not configured or something else.

Tried (stopping and restarting indiserver between different attempts:
1. Switch off DSLR and switch on again
2. lusb (on RPi) lists the Canon as being connected (and lusb when Canon switched-off does not list the device)
3. Plug Canon into Mac and it talks to Mac fine
4. Tried starting indiserver from command line (rather than through remote indi web manager) and no difference
5. Tried starting without iEQ45 (i.e. only the Canon)
6. Tried both Canon DSLR and Gphoto CCD (in the Indi Web Manager - thought they were "the same" but tried both)

Details: Don't know what info might help. In the Ekos Canon DSLR INDI Control Panel Name: Gphoto CCD, Exec indi_gphoto_ccd, Version 1.5, Interface 10
I have pressed the "Default" configuration and dome a save and load

lusb (on RPi) output:
~ $ lsusb
Bus 001 Device 012: ID 04a9:3218 Canon, Inc. EOS 600D / Rebel T3i (ptp)
Bus 001 Device 004: ID 0403:6001 Future Technology Devices International, Ltd FT232 USB-Serial (UART) IC
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 0424:ec00 Standard Microsystems Corp. SMSC9512/9514 Fast Ethernet Adapter
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 0424:9514 Standard Microsystems Corp. 
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

Exact error message
2016-06-02T13:09:26: Can not open camera: Power OK?

In Ekos INDI Control Panel for the Canon under the Options tab the "Configuration" has a green light to its left. Also, the "Snoop Devices" has a number of devices listed which are not configured (the relevant simulators) and has a green light to it's left.

Any suggestions as to what to investigate of change would be gratefully received (or requests for more info about the config). Not terribly familiar with Linux but reasonably techy (spent career in asm/C/C++ software development but under Windows and OS X(GUI)

Thanks
Ian
7 years 10 months ago #8592

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

I have the same camera, it turns itself off quite quickly. Try to turn it off/on and then within 10 seconds connect to it again and see. I think there is perhaps some power setting to make it last wait before it turns itself off.
7 years 10 months ago #8595

Tried again and no joy (immediately). Also restarted everything and connected within seconds and still "complains"

I had a few problems posting so there are some other (same) threads as posts don't seem to appear when I press submit.

But, more info, when I connect he camera to an indiserver under Ubuntu (without iEQ45 using telescope simulator instead) I get the same error. So seems related to the camera (and software) rather than the Raspberry Pi.

The camera does work fine connected to Canon EOS Utility (on Mac) and when connected to Ubuntu, Ubuntu pops-up a "what do I do with this device" question (so is connecting to the computer ok.

Camera auto power-off time set on camera to 4 mins.

Edit: Enabled logging everything and output:
2016-06-02T14:15:36: Can not open camera: Power OK? 
2016-06-02T14:15:36:   Retval: -7 
2016-06-02T14:15:36: Camera init.  Takes about 10 seconds. 
2016-06-02T14:15:36: Opening gphoto 
2016-06-02T14:15:36: Mirror lock value: 0.000000

Thanks
Ian
Last edit: 7 years 10 months ago by Ian.
7 years 10 months ago #8596

Did you read the DSLR FAQs regarding disabling automount on your OS?
7 years 10 months ago #8597

I had disabled auto-mount and the gvfs services mentiond were not running. But to be 100% I've done the "rm"s and rebooted and no difference.

From looking at the source code and playing a bit more, if I try to connect with the camera switched-off I get a -105 error (model not found), but with the camera switched on it is a -7 (IO error). Tried several different ports (on different computers) and different cables.

I've tried an lsof searching for Canon and gphoto but can't spot anything there suggesting an issue (Canon does not appear and gphoto occurrences are all from indi_gphoto to libgphoto2<xxx>

(I will be well embarrassed when it turns out to be something totally daft)

Thanks
Ian
7 years 10 months ago #8598

What's the OS for your Pi?
7 years 10 months ago #8600

Raspbrian (with an update within the last couple of days)

cat /etc/debian_version
returns 8.0

(Sorry about all this grief and many thanks for your help).

Ian
7 years 10 months ago #8601

How did you install libindi? what's the version? indiserver --help
7 years 10 months ago #8602

INDI Library: 1.2.0
Code $Rev: 2780 $. Protocol 1.7.
Installed following instructions on the web site indilib.org/download/raspberry-pi.html
All worked 100% - no glitches, no errors (I was well pleased).

Ian
7 years 10 months ago #8603

Well, I'm going to test it later on my Raspbian, we almost have identical configuration (same DSLR), so I'll let you know, but now I'm going to the movies (Warcraft IMAX yay!)
7 years 10 months ago #8604

Have fun.
It's no panic. I'm a complete amateur and the weather here is <bad language removed> and in the UK it does not even get properly dark at the moment and I'm learning.

I'm sure it will be something obvious - particularly as my Ubuntu system is doing the same (pretty much - I'm not repeating every test and the Ubuntu is maybe a few more variables as it is a VM under VMware on a Mac/OS X host - which all seems very solid).

Ian

Edit after further investigations: I suspect it is due to something opening/mounting the camera. Because, playing more on my Ubuntu system and when I plug it in the camera is mounted - even though I've changed setting to "do nothing" and if I unmount it, then a local Indi server will successfully connect to the camera. i.e. Ubuntu (which is actually my Ekos client and only being used to test for broken camera/cable) seems determined to mount the device but once unmounted will connect. Suggesting the RPi is opening/mounting the device.

I have been seeing gvfs-fuse starting but that seems related to my occsionally running tightvncserver (to make it easier to hunt around for anything mounted) and the problem persists when I don't run tightvncserver and thus don't have gvfs anywhere in the mount list.

Further Edit: Treble checking the
sudo rm /usr/share/dbus-1/services/org.gtk.Private.GPhoto2VolumeMonitor.service
sudo rm /usr/share/gvfs/mounts/gphoto2.mount
sudo rm /usr/share/gvfs/remote-volume-monitors/gphoto2.monitor
sudo rm /usr/lib/gvfs/gvfs-gphoto2-volume-monitor
and I do still have a executable /usr/lib/gvfs/gvfsd-gphoto2. Not anything the previous FAQ says to remove (and I'm a bit reserved about deleting still I have no idea about what it might do etc. but probably worth mentioning.
7 years 10 months ago #8605

Well, you can unplug the camera, plug it in, then check dmesg to see how it is connected. This is what I have:
[31836.904286] usb 1-1.5: new high-speed USB device number 11 using dwc_otg
[31837.394685] usb 1-1.5: New USB device found, idVendor=04a9, idProduct=3218
[31837.394719] usb 1-1.5: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=0
[31837.394737] usb 1-1.5: Product: Canon Digital Camera
[31837.394754] usb 1-1.5: Manufacturer: Canon Inc.
7 years 10 months ago #8606

Time to create page: 0.900 seconds