INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

ZWO ASI 1600MM-Cool tested

Yes, ZWO is working on fixing the issue. Will let you know once there is an update.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tobiasz Jakubowski
7 years 10 months ago #8834

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 9
Jasem are there any updates? It looks like Wednesday will be clear skies after several weeks of rain and floods and stuff... I would really appreciate if i can finally run my ASI1600MMC with EKOS. :woohoo:

EDIT: Just got the newest SDK from ZWO! :cheer: Jasem can you add it to the repo and force a build?
Last edit: 7 years 9 months ago by Tobiasz Jakubowski.
7 years 9 months ago #8906
Attachments:

Right a build will be available in a few hours.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tobiasz Jakubowski
7 years 9 months ago #8908

• Thank you received: 26
Hello Jasem,

I've just tested the latest code. I could not find the build, but I've downloaded the code from github using the instructions from github.com/indilib/indi
The driver I've compiled for Raspberry Pi works now as expected. Even better... I see the ampglow that was visible in the dark images of 600 seconds with APT under Windows, is even not there anymore using a dark image capture. That's nice to see that the ZWO engineers have managed to solve that too.

Here is a image of the dark of 600 seconds without ampglow:
www.flickr.com/photos/jurgenk2/27774629716

The 12 bit data is mapped into the 12 most significant bits of 16 bits, minimum = 0, maximum (saturation) = 65504
This driver is production ready. I would try it for a full night session to see if it works.

One caveat, I see on (some?) exposure times that exceeds the saturation of the sensor (1.7 seconds in my case) , the data doesn't show up saturated as expected.
Some weird clipped data with values all over the board.

I have provided 2 images, the first with the weird clipping, and the second the almost saturated image as a reference:
www.flickr.com/photos/jurgenk2/27733689281
www.flickr.com/photos/jurgenk2/27809234535
7 years 9 months ago #8925

Hi Jasem and Jurgen

I got the last version via apt-get this morning. But unfortunately I can't even connect with the camera anymore. The camera show up in the manager but when I hit "Connect" the indicator changes to yellow and that's it. I can't even turn on the debug mode. :(

The over saturation issue is known since some weeks I already talked with Sam about this. It looks like this is an issue of the sensor itself.

EDIT: I build the driver myself and now I can connect and change all the settings! :woohoo: Unfortunately I still get errors downloading the Image...
Last edit: 7 years 9 months ago by Tobiasz Jakubowski.
7 years 9 months ago #8926

I've also seen close to saturating, the images shows even/odd rows, columns with a different lumanicity. A difference around 3%.
This is most likely some setting on the sensor to balance the white when saturated. I don't know at what point this behaviour starts.
maybe just making good flats will solve it,

better: do NOT saturate your frames.

www.flickr.com/photos/jurgenk2/27710226002
7 years 9 months ago #8927

The "rows" are something different they appear more like a chess pattern and they're always there. I saw them on my test images of an antenna at <1/4 of saturation... They calibrate perfectly fine with flats. First I tough it's a Bayermatrix but no color information is in there... Perhaps those chips are not true monochrome but bleached after the production. I read about a process with high energy electrons to bleach the Bayermatrix without removal.

Anyway, I still have massiv problems downloading images. Sometimes it works and sometime dont:
ERROR	120.174029 sec	: StartExposure->setexp : 0.500s
DEBUG	121.390592 sec	: ASIGetExpStatus failed (0). Restarting exposure...
ERROR	121.490897 sec	: StartExposure->setexp : 0.500s
DEBUG	124.249290 sec	: ASIGetExpStatus failed (0). Restarting exposure...
ERROR	124.349436 sec	: StartExposure->setexp : 0.500s
DEBUG	127.909870 sec	: ASIGetExpStatus failed (0). Restarting exposure...
ERROR	128.010106 sec	: StartExposure->setexp : 0.500s
DEBUG	135.630369 sec	: ASIGetExpStatus failed (0). Restarting exposure...
ERROR	135.730530 sec	: StartExposure->setexp : 0.500s
DEBUG	137.234075 sec	: ASIGetExpStatus failed (0). Restarting exposure...
7 years 9 months ago #8928

• Thank you received: 87

Replied by nMAC on topic ZWO ASI 1600MM-Cool tested

Same issue here but with ASI120MM, cant even connect or debug.
Last edit: 7 years 9 months ago by nMAC.
7 years 9 months ago #8931

Here I can connect but cannot capture, looks like ZWO broke the last SDK. Will check with them soon.
7 years 9 months ago #8936

I think your PPA is broken, when I compile the driver myself everything is working perfectly fine on PC and RPI2. Only restriction is that with the ASI1600 you have to use USB2.0, don't know about the other cameras. Yang from ZWO told me that it's currently unknown when the USB3.0 support will be implemented! He also modified the INDI driver to properly show the debug messages, I attached the source file. Jasem can you merge this, please.
7 years 9 months ago #8940
Attachments:

I compiled it myself, didn't use PPA. Also, ZWO didn't use DEBUG but they used ERROR which is incorrect, I just pushed a commit for fix that. But that shouldn't affect capture/connection, so it must be something else. The udev rules file seem to cover all camera. Will check once I get home later.

EDIT: Seems there was a problem with the USB port. Changed port and it's working fine now.
Last edit: 7 years 9 months ago by Jasem Mutlaq.
7 years 9 months ago #8941

Some more trials:

2 test pictures, featuring a picture of a 3d printer.
The first is a normal exposure of 0.8 seconds, zero gain:
www.flickr.com/photos/jurgenk2/27242608954
The second is an overexposed which clips the data at +-15%^and strange banding appears, same settings, but 1.7 seconds
www.flickr.com/photos/jurgenk2/27242659914

A test exposure a the scorpio region (including Mars), Normal exposure using 1 second, using INDI Library.
One thing to worry is why the exposure becomes clipped only when longer, like 2 seconds, while a very small part of this image (Mars in this case) is overexposed. Almost all data is in the low <10% value range.
www.flickr.com/photos/jurgenk2/27242674184

One strange similarity: all clipped exposures have started at 1.7 seconds. I have not been able to make a Ha-exposure of several minutes using INDI Library. I suspect my dark frame of 600 seconds made in INDI library (the one without glow amp) is not valid, because it could have become clipped after 1.7 seconds.
Last edit: 7 years 9 months ago by Jurgen Kobierczynski. Reason: addition more info
7 years 9 months ago #8958

Time to create page: 0.592 seconds