INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

[SOLVED] Canon 60D DSLR bulb mode

• Thank you received: 812
I have 2 Canon Cameras and have tested them with INDI. My XSi works fine if I set it in the manual mode and can take any length of exposure I give it including more than 30 seconds. My 60D works fine if I put it in manual mode and I want to take an exposure shorter than 30 seconds. If I want to take a longer exposure however, I have to put it in bulb mode, which on the 60D is a different dial position. When I do that, it does not wait for the full exposure time before closing the shutter, but just takes an extremely short exposure. I do not have a serial shutter release cable for my 60D and I have never needed one when controlling the camera via my mac. I also tried running gphoto2 from the command line in linux and it is fully capable of taking an exposure longer than 30 seconds while in bulb mode. This seems to be an issue with the gphoto indi driver not supporting bulb mode on this type of camera without a serial shutter release cable, even though it is a feature in gphoto2. Is that correct? Is there any plan to implement this capability in the future? I did look around in the forums, but I only found people trying to use a shutter release cable.
7 years 9 months ago #8975

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

You enabled mirror lock? Please run it again with full debug logged to file .

EDIT: Also please post the GPhoto2 command you used to capture.
Last edit: 7 years 9 months ago by Jasem Mutlaq.
7 years 9 months ago #8978

I had not enabled it because it said on this page: www.indilib.org/devices/ccds/gphoto.html that the feature was only available with serial shooter cables. I did just try it with mirror lockup enabled in bulb mode. Whereas before it would take a really quick exposure, with the mirror lockup enabled on the camera, it instead never ended the exposure. I will now see if I can get the log and will get the gphoto2 command.
7 years 9 months ago #8981

For the 60D gphoto2 exposure commands, I found commands on this page: www.gphoto.org/doc/remote/
These commands successfully took a 60 second exposure then downloaded them into the current folder on the computer.

gphoto2 --set-config shutterspeed=bulb
gphoto2 --set-config eosremoterelease=Immediate --wait-event=60s --set-config eosremoterelease=Off --wait-event-and-download=2s --capture-image-and-download
7 years 9 months ago #8983

Here are the log files from the experiment using Ekos both with and without the mirror lockup enabled. As I noted before, with the mirror lockup disabled, in bulb mode it took a very short exposure and successfully downloaded it. With the mirror lockup enabled, the exposure went on far too long and eventually failed to download. It tried again, and failed again, and then I aborted. Both failed to produce the desired exposure time of 1 second.

File Attachment:

File Name: WithMirror...bled.txt
File Size:25 KB

File Attachment:

File Name: WithMirror...bled.txt
File Size:1 KB
7 years 9 months ago #8984
Attachments:

I added more debug information and fixed a few things, try with tomorrow's PPA update.
7 years 9 months ago #8997

Just to let anyone who stumbles into this forum know, Jasem solved this issue very well! Both my Canon XSi and my Canon 60D now take photos of any length with the XSi in "Manual" mode and my 60D in "Bulb" mode on the rotary dials. Mirror Lockup is not required (but you can use it if you like), nor is any serial exposure release cable. It works great. Thanks Jasem!!
7 years 9 months ago #9208

Time to create page: 0.249 seconds