INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

DSLR connects but fails when capture is attempted

• Thank you received: 0
I am starting to get my head wrapped around Astroberry and Ekos, and I have nearly everything figured out except this issue. I use a Canon 60D DSLR as my main imaging camera, and I have a wired battery to keep the camera running constantly. I can get the camera to be recognized and connect to it in Ekos (the camera make and model are recognized, and it doesn't throw an error when I hit Connect) but when I go to run an exposure sequence, I get a "Failed to connect to serial port /dev/ttyUSB0" error. What is more bewildering to me is that I can use the live view button and get an accurate live view from the camera. I have tried Force Bulb mode on as well as using Bulb mode on the camera itself. I've also tried different USB connection cables. I have also run lsusb from the terminal and I can see a Canon device connected, but at times it can cut out if the camera goes to sleep.

I've looked at the instructions from someone named Jasem about updating the udev file, but I am not very versed in Linux and when I open the /dev folder I don't find any ports with USB in the name at all. Some of the other steps in the process fail for me as well.

Is there anyone else who has had this issue? I really want to make computer-controlled exposures work and get away from my intervalometer. Thanks in advance.
1 month 2 weeks ago #100008

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Hi, unfortunately, I have the same problem after last major update this spring (2024). It used to work super-smooth before.
I found, pixel-settings for the DSLR are set to 0. Well, I changed it to the usual values (Canon eos 1000d), but the effect is still the same.
Same on my altair guiding cam, btw, also no function..
I am missing some instructions here. I guess, it is something very basic, that I am just missing. The only hint is "Check INDI Control Panel for details." But there are no useful details. Right now, I cannot use ekos any more, what is a shame...
Hope, we get help on this soon!
CS
Holger
6 days 22 hours ago #100751

Update:
After talking with Nazmus from Naztronomy.com (who has an almost identical gear setup to myself), I was able to get my DSLR to capture using the GPhoto CCD driver instead of the Canon one. I installed Astroberry in 2022, but I have run several recent updates from the command line, so I should be running the latest software. My DSLR is a Canon EOS 60D, for reference. I haven't had an issue with my guider, which is a ZWO ASI120mm Mini guide camera. I hope this helps a little.
6 days 21 hours ago #100752

OK, I just fixed mine. I deleted the Canon (and altair) saved config (xml-file) within my .indi folder, and everything was fine afterwards (using new default configs). looks like the old config is not to be used any more after the update.
6 days 21 hours ago #100753

• Thank you received: 69
The GPhoto server is the same server as the Canon, it is an alias.

One of the big reasons DSLRs will fail on captures with INDI is when the resolution and pixel sizes are not configured for the camera. These have to be manually set for DSLRs with INDI.
5 days 8 hours ago #100760

I understand that the Canon driver is simply a specific case of the GPhoto one. I had all the resolution, pixel size, and other parameters set accurately in both cases, and I still never got the Canon driver to work. The GPhoto one worked fine, however, so I noted that here in case anyone else has a similar experience.
3 days 20 hours ago #100769

Time to create page: 1.213 seconds