INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

SSAG White output, new guidecam?

• Thank you received: 32
Ok, I know this is a new thread on something similar in another, feel free to place it under that topic. I think though it became a bit crowded with different issues and solutions. I'm back at using INDI, it just works so much better and more stable than my Windows setup, but the CCD troubles are unfortunate. So my question is, should I ditch the SSAG camera and buy one that does work well as this thing is causing a lot of the problems I had last year. And if so, which one would be a nice not too expensive alternative?

So, the binning works again, but I do have this white-out problem. It's not a gain issue or anything, it seems it's causing an error. I attached the logs of a capture I just did, an error is reported there as well..
DEBUG	780.410797 sec	: Toggle Logging Level -- Driver Debug
DEBUG	789.507374 sec	: Current exposure time is 5000000.000000 us
DEBUG	789.507620 sec	: SetQHYCCDBinMode 1x1
DEBUG	789.507730 sec	: SetQHYCCDResolution camroix 0 camroiy 0 camroiwidth 1280 camroiheight 1024
DEBUG	789.507829 sec	: Taking a 5 seconds frame...
DEBUG	790.509006 sec	: Exposure in progress: Time left 3
DEBUG	791.510292 sec	: Exposure in progress: Time left 2
DEBUG	792.511538 sec	: Exposure in progress: Time left 1
DEBUG	793.512810 sec	: Exposure done, downloading image...
ERROR	793.513058 sec	: GetQHYCCDSingleFrame error (-1)
DEBUG	793.513153 sec	: Download complete.
DEBUG	793.520401 sec	: Uploading file. Ext: fits, Size: 1316160, sendImage? Yes, saveImage? No, useSolver? No
DEBUG	793.608235 sec	: Upload complete
INFO	805.672439 sec	: CCD is offline.
7 years 4 months ago #12957

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 87
Mine has that problem too! There's one thing I notice, after the first exposure the red led turn off and never turns on again.
That's not normal, it usually blinked after each exposuse. Does your camera do the same? Is it connected to an RPi?
And again the problem happens when connected to an RPi. On a x86_64 PC I have no problems at all.
7 years 4 months ago #12958

Yes, connected to a Pi and I've seen the turning off of the red light on my setup as well. So similar problem. What I don't get is that this thing never had any problem like a year ago, back then I was solving issues with my DSLR (which now works great btw). :) Interesting that it does work on a regular PC, you're running Linux on that as well?
7 years 4 months ago #12959

Yes I am, using Ubuntu Mate x86_64 on a Atom PC. I started noting problems with mine just after the SDK Update to version 1.6.
With the 1.5 Version of the SDK all worked fine including binning. Problems started here:
indilib.org/forum/ccds-dslrs/1293-regres...pi-for-the-ssag.html
That was one of the reasons I gave up on RPi being my primary setup and migrated to a x86 PC. I am using it as a secondary setup
and testing platform. You mentioned other thread, I am starting to think both problems with the two cameras maybe related. Both have similiar
problems with RPi and both work fine on x86. Or maybe that's just me! Go figure!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Vincent Groenewold
Last edit: 7 years 4 months ago by nMAC.
7 years 4 months ago #12962

Well, I think I want to replace the Pi anyway as well. I'm switching my setup from WiFi to gigabit Ethernet and realized the Pi is only 10/100MB. Probably fine, but would like to have that possibility, and USB3. So I'm going for an Atom PC as well, given that this is also a solution for you.

Which one did you get? I'm looking at this one: up-shop.org/4-up-boards
7 years 4 months ago #12964

I wish I had one like that :) but mine is an old D410PT motherboard (64 bit 1.6Ghz Atom) I had laying around and was refurbished on a small micro atx case with 2GB of RAM and a 240GB SSD drive.And, it works very well.
7 years 4 months ago #12965

;) Well, I have a lot of old stuff, but I haven't hacked around since like 10+ years ago. So that stuff is just a bit too old and not nice and small. I just stumbled upon the Up board and am actually really enthusiastic about it. With the Atom as a basis and the speed compared to the RPI2, still at a low price, it seems to perfectly fit the bill.

Anyway, thanks for the advice! Your notice that x86 solved your issue was the last kick I needed. :)
7 years 4 months ago #12966

Well, just a side note, I do not wish to slam on RPi, that is not my intention. I have only experience on my B+, I like it, it's a fine system, never used a RPI2/3 for this but I had my share of fighting with drivers on windows and linux.

I feel the configuration I now have is the most stable for my needs,others may have other opinion and experience.
Maybe this will be all solved with driver patches. I hope so. So if it suits your needs, go for it and good luck. And report on it :-)
That looks like a great system for the price!
Last edit: 7 years 4 months ago by nMAC.
7 years 4 months ago #12967

Oh, but I didn't get that impression. I was very happy with the Pi2 for a long time, it's just that I wanted it to have gigabit Ethernet among things that I started to look further. This Up board is 3x as expensive, but this power in the same dimensions is pretty good I think. I'll definitely report back here! :)
7 years 4 months ago #12968

Well this one suppose to fail from the error, so it should fail now and not send any frames.
7 years 4 months ago #12969

Seems it still send it though, I am getting 130kb apparently back and its white.
7 years 4 months ago #12971

It's just sending empty buffer which is by default "Saturated" so it appears as white. Once the PPA is updated with the QHY driver it shouldn't be the case, but it will fail. But if it succeeds you get a normal image.

EDIT: The change I made will be reflected tomorrow in the PPA, not now.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Vincent Groenewold
Last edit: 7 years 4 months ago by Jasem Mutlaq.
7 years 4 months ago #12976

Time to create page: 0.249 seconds