INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Qestions on CCD cooling (ASI 1600mm-c)

• Thank you received: 72
Hi.

I am testing the cooling on my new ASI, and I'm wondering of what the lowest temp possible is.
From the ZWO site you have that the camera can be cooled 40 - 45 deg below ambient. This seams right as I (indoors) cooled it from ~22 deg to around -22.
The ZWO site says it has a operating temperature of -5 -> -45, but then it says the lowest temperature that can be set is -30

Does this mean that it can not get colder than -30 ? I tried setting the temp to -40 in indi control panel, and it did accept it but I'm not sure it will keep cooling below -30?

If the camera was installed and I would be imaging tonight the ambient temperature would be 0 deg, and thats a worm night for the season, so I will rarely have a issue in imaging around -40 if the camera allows it. Not sure if the -30 limit is in the ascom driver or in the on camera fw?

/Edit typo in the subject. Should be CMOS cooling, but I guess the cooling part is the same for both. Cooler is better.
Proud owner of Observatory 17b - A remote Linux observatory.
Build thread @ SGL: Starting summers observatory project
Last edit: 7 years 3 months ago by Magnus.
7 years 3 months ago #13636

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 72
I guess this is a good an answer as any.
Sat the asi outside in -1C and started cooling to -41

It's at least proof that neither the fw nor indi limits the asi 1600 to -30.
(The first image shows 18deg, but i did not let it cool to ambient outside before starting to cool)

I also have one other question. In the Ekos seduler there is a option in shutdown prosedure (warm ccd). What does it do, and do I need to use it?
Proud owner of Observatory 17b - A remote Linux observatory.
Build thread @ SGL: Starting summers observatory project
7 years 3 months ago #13638
Attachments:

Warm CCD turns off the cooler so the camera warms up gradually, i.e. you're no longer consuming power trying to cool it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Magnus
7 years 3 months ago #13652

Time to create page: 0.152 seconds