Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
30 Oct 2016
INDI Development team is happy to announce the release of INDI Library v1.3.0 on Oct. 30th, 2016.
Read More...
  • Page:

TOPIC: Using the asi1600 (Gain=Gain|Unity=Gamma|Offset=Brightness)?

Using the asi1600 (Gain=Gain|Unity=Gamma|Offset=Brightness)? 1 month 1 week ago #13679

• Magnus_e
  • Magnus_e's Avatar Topic Author
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 27
Hi.
In preperation for installing the asi1600mm-c I'm taking cooled flats and biases.
One thing I'm having issues to understand is that the image settings in the INDI driver is different than the official asi drivers.

The asi uses gain, unity gain and offset, but thee INDI driver has Gain, Gamma and Brightness.
I guessed on the translation above based on the range of values I can set in the driver, but not sure if its correct.
I hope they are 1 to 1 translations and that the indi driver does not calculate the actual settings from gamma and brightness? Is it just for consistency with other cameras?

Also when tis is answered, perhaps it's a good addition to the CCD Faq? Will save people from guessing.

Thanks in advance, Magnus

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Proud owner of Observatory 17b - A remote Linux observatory.
Build thread @ SGL: Starting summers observatory project

Using the asi1600 (Gain=Gain|Unity=Gamma|Offset=Brightness)? 1 month 1 week ago #13716

INDI driver just displays whatever the ASI SDK outputs, so these names are from ASI, not INDI.

Using the asi1600 (Gain=Gain|Unity=Gamma|Offset=Brightness)? 1 month 1 week ago #13718

• Magnus_e
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
Ok. I added a post on (the) ZWO formu, hopefully someone can clarify.

zwoug.org/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=6756

Using the asi1600 (Gain=Gain|Unity=Gamma|Offset=Brightness)? 1 month 1 week ago #13744

• Magnus_e
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
After some digging around, this is the result.

Hi. I asked the question about unity here stargazerslounge.com/topic/268797-asi160...ment&comment=3123271

Apparently it's the gain setting of 139, so a therm and not a setting.

Unity gain refers to a Gain setting of 139. It's the value that produces 1 ADU per electron. Doesn't mean very much in practice except that no extra dynamic range is obtained by going below a gain of 139, as I understand it.

This results in Unity = A Gain of 139 | Gain = Gain | Brightenss = Offset | Gamma (apperently a camera setting that is not present in ascom). From what I understand Gamma = 50 is the default (neutral) setting.

Could be nice with that last conclution in the CCD faq, as it took some digging to resolve :)

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.403 seconds

Login

3rd Party

Choose from the numerous 3rd party INDI drivers to suit your needs!

Got Problem?

Check out the FAQ, the forum, and the bug tracking system to resolve any issues you might have!
You can also subscribe to INDI newsletter and development mailing lists to get the latest updates on INDI!

Gallery

Replica

Why INDI

Replica