INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

INDI/Linux driver for the QHY Polemaster, developers needed.

• Thank you received: 6
Not yet... haven't had the time to do any work on this at all.... Right now I'm hoping somebody else will have the time...
6 years 11 months ago #15799

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 32
I requested access. I will see what I can do.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jasem Mutlaq, Anders Lange
6 years 11 months ago #15817

They gave me access. Is there a good place I can look at a camera driver to get an idea of where to start? My C skills are pretty dull knives (I do service management work these days...) but looking over some code should get me back up and going.
6 years 11 months ago #15827

Access to what exactly? just the USB communication specs? or code?
6 years 11 months ago #15835

The low level protocol, and at some point access to their dev board (not sure what that entails).
6 years 11 months ago #15838

• Thank you received: 4
I have a polemaster and can offer assistance with coding, but I'm not so sure about the NDA.

The Polemaster really is just a QHY5L-IIm. In fact, it works with the older QHY5LII ASCOM drivers just fine. Polemaster support was explicitly removed from the imaging driver, so I do not expect that we will get much cooperation from the maker on this. I guess what I'm trying to say is that there already is a INDI support for this should the support for the Polemaster be re-enabled in the binary blobs.
6 years 11 months ago #16202

I just pushed an update to support QHY PoleMaster. PPA users can start testing by tomorrow's update. If you use GIT, pull now and test. Please report back results.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Anders Lange
6 years 11 months ago #16265

• Thank you received: 6
Fantastic :-)
I will test it tomorrow evening, I'm using the PPA, so I'll have to wait ;-)
Last edit: 6 years 11 months ago by Anders Lange.
6 years 11 months ago #16266

Thanks Jasem!

I tested the new build and initially had issues:
- needed GCC 5.x for qhy driver
- my polemaster was not receiving the firmware blob upload and thus was not being recognized by indilib

My polemaster is showing up as Bus 001 Device 006: ID 1618:0940
After loading firmware, it shows up as 1618:0941. I had to modify 85-qhy.rules to include 1618:0940. Disconnecting and reattaching the PoleMaster after making this change resulted in the firmware getting loaded and the device being recognized by indilib.

I found that I was getting about 1FPS while framing. I guess this is to be expected since I am using an Intel Edison which is a dual-core Intel @500MHz, plus I am connecting via WiFi.

I did notice a message about SQM while starting the server which I didn't notice prior to loading the QHY module. Is there perhaps plans to use the PoleMaster as a SQ Meter, because that would be a cool use for the device.
6 years 11 months ago #16271

I attempted to enable compression and got about the same framerate from the camera... it turns out that the CPU was limiting.

I compiled on my pine64 and connected via GigE. Framerate was about doubled, however it appears that compression is single threaded.

I left the indi server up for 2 hours why grabbing frames continuously, and I did not experience issues.
6 years 11 months ago #16272

Thanks for the test, I will relay this to QHY. I updated the rules file to fix the issue. For SQM, it can be done if someone works on the math and algorithm. I have a separate SQM LE device and I wanted the SQM reading to be in the FITS header.
6 years 11 months ago #16274

The camera looks to take images just fine in INDI, is there something specific we should be testing out?
6 years 11 months ago #16299

Time to create page: 0.335 seconds