INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

OBJCTRA & OBJCTDEC keywords

• Thank you received: 14
I managed to finally get all my equipment working with the Raspberry Pi last night, using KStars & Ekos on the Obsy Windows 10 machine - very nice!

What I have noticed with couple of test images is :

OBJCTRA & OBJCTRA are in the format nnn.nnnnnn (which I believe is a TDOUBLE result)

For the astrometry I have done in the past with MaximDL and more recently with PixInsight, the OBJCTRA stored in the FITS header is character in the form 'HH MI SS' (Hrs Mins Sec) and OBJCTDEC is character in form 'Deg Min Sec' (degrees Minutes Seconds)

I was unable to solve any of the images in PixInsight which did not pick up the OBJCTRA & OBJCTRA stored via INDICCD...

Now I realise that the FITS header "standard" is somewhat abused, but at least 3 or the programs I have used expect the RA & DEC to be character long format.....

Comments?
Last edit: 7 years 1 month ago by Phil Shepherd.
7 years 1 month ago #14500

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

ok... let me ask a slightly different question....

Is there a specific need to store the OBJCTRA & OBJCTDEC as a double number?

If not, can I suggest that it's stored as a string in the format "HH24 MI SS.SS" (for RA) and "+/-Deg MI SS.SS" for Dec in indiccd.cpp... This will allow PixInsight and Pinpoint to utilise the stamped RA & Dec....

I have temporarily side stepped the issue by making a custom mod to the sxccd.cpp (I use an SXVR-H16), in my local copy, by adding an extra function (SXCCD::addFITSKeywords... etc. ) which seems to override the one in indiccd.cpp

Phil
Last edit: 7 years 1 month ago by Phil Shepherd.
7 years 1 month ago #14580

Thanks for the note, I updated it to use HH MM SS.SSS and +/-DD MM SS.SSS as strings.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Hans, Phil Shepherd
7 years 1 month ago #14583

Nice 1!

Appreciated

Phil
7 years 1 month ago #14586

btw, for Windows, why don't you use astrometry.net solver? It's supported by Ekos.

EDIT: Looks like I need to add support to ANSVR Local Astrometry.NET, but that shouldn't be too difficult, working on it.
Last edit: 7 years 1 month ago by Jasem Mutlaq.
7 years 1 month ago #14587

I have done once or twice when using KStars/Ekos.... still early days for me... but I don't intend to solve every time I take an image in a sequence - seems like an overhead?

That will allow me to solve later if I want to, with either Pinpoint (which is incredibly fast) or within PixInsight in order to create an annotated image.

It would be interesting to hear if anyone has scripted Pinpoint?

Phil

p.s. That ANSVR looks interesting - a few people I know use SGP & have talked about ansvr.... I'll have to listen a bit more closely.
7 years 1 month ago #14588

I'm downloading index files now on Windows with ANSVR, will test it with Ekos. I didn't mean solve each image in the sequence! But for Ekos Alignment module. At any rate, I'll check it out and hopefully it works out of the box with Ekos, guess will see soon.
7 years 1 month ago #14589

I assumed you meant as part of the alignment routine... which was why I didn't quite understand when you asked why I didn't use astrometry.net solver!

Will be interesting to see how you get on...

Phil
7 years 1 month ago #14591

Time to create page: 0.893 seconds