Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
27 Feb 2017
INDI development team is happy to announce the release of INDI Library v1.4.0. This new exciting release builds on the maturity of INDI Library and comes with many new supported devices and fixes for existing drivers. Several improvements and enhancements are included in this release including native support for Cygwin and MacOS platforms in addition to Linux, BSD, and Windows (Client only).
Read More...

TOPIC: Will KStars "V4L2 CCD" talk to Meade LPI ?

Will KStars "V4L2 CCD" talk to Meade LPI ? 2 months 2 days ago #15391

• oopfan
  • oopfan's Avatar Topic Author
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
This is a little off-topic but it is relevant to my original post regarding "due diligence". I changed my mind about what imager to purchase. I've decided to go with the QHY5L-II instead of the Meade LPI. Why? Mostly it has to do with the availability of a working Linux driver. The more I read about it the less confident I am I will get it to work on my Ubuntu laptop, let alone my Raspberry Pi 3. Every link that I find for drivers -- are just for Windows. The only mention of Linux is in the product listings pages of vendors' ecommerce sites -- definitely not a confidence builder.

I was browsing the GitHub repo of INDI source code and I saw that support for QHY is in the "3rd party" folder. I perused the code and recognized the name of an employee at QHY who was named by Jasem as co-developer. Furthermore, it looks likes they are talking directly to the USB port rather than some V4L2 middleware.

If anything I've said is inaccurate please raise your voice. I appreciate your input. I am planning on purchasing a new ETX-90. I'd like a bigger aperture but I also like mobility of a smaller scope. For now I am happy doing Lunar and Planetary imaging, the brighter star clusters, and making time-lapse movies of some of the brighter asteroids. Longer term I'd like to buy an 8-inch scope to do asteroid occultations.

Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Will KStars "V4L2 CCD" talk to Meade LPI ? 2 months 2 days ago #15392

The ASI120 is the same chip, and they provide support for Linux/INDI out of the box. The ASI cameras are all 15% off right now too. :) I would go that route.
The following user(s) said Thank You: oopfan

Will KStars "V4L2 CCD" talk to Meade LPI ? 2 months 2 days ago #15396

I have ASI120 and it's rock solid with my Raspberry PI 3 running for hours without any issues.

Will KStars "V4L2 CCD" talk to Meade LPI ? 2 months 2 days ago #15400

I am trying to use it on a ZWO OAG and I cannot get any stars to appear at all no matter what I do. Might try the old 50mm scope trick, that seems to work better for me for some reason -- unless someone has an idea on how to fix it.

Edit, nevermind... Apparently they ship the OAG with a spacer on it, and I needed to remove that spacer to get into focus. Problem solved. :D

Last Edit: by rockstarbill.

Will KStars "V4L2 CCD" talk to Meade LPI ? 2 months 2 days ago #15410

• oopfan
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
It is good that you have positive experiences with the ASI120 on Raspberry Pi. Going back a couple weeks ago when I began this journey, ZWO was the first product I looked into but I found some discouraging comments on the ZWO user forum. Users were complaining that the USB2 imagers worked fine on Windows but would freeze on Linux. The engineer who responded (who I also think is the CEO) recommended that Linux users connect their devices to a USB3 port and that should fix things. The problem for me is that the Raspberry Pi does not have USB3 nor are they planning on adding one.

The INDI-learning curve is happening for me but I am still at an early stage. It may take a while for me to understand why ASI120 works over USB2 with INDI but not for the poor fellows on the ZWO user forum. I am very keen on purchasing equipment that will work out of the box with minimal hacking. The hacking part can come later as I get further up the learning curve.

I see that High Point Scientific has the ASI120MC on sale for $143 whereas the QHY5LII is $199. I like that the ASI comes with an all-sky lens but the QHY's description and specification are more impressive. Decisions, decisions.

Will KStars "V4L2 CCD" talk to Meade LPI ? 2 months 2 days ago #15412

• oopfan
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
@rockstarbill wrote:
"The ASI120 is the same chip"
High Point Scientific's website says that the ASI120MC uses the On-Semiconductor AR0130CS but the QHY5L-II uses the Aptina MT9M034 sensor. Perhaps they are functionally equivalent.

Will KStars "V4L2 CCD" talk to Meade LPI ? 2 months 2 days ago #15417

That's the color one 120MM is mono..

Will KStars "V4L2 CCD" talk to Meade LPI ? 2 months 2 days ago #15420

• oopfan
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
Right, the QHY5L-II-C, QHY5L-II-M, and ASI120MM each use the MT9M034 sensor but the ASI120MC uses the AR0130CS.
That's confusing!

Will KStars "V4L2 CCD" talk to Meade LPI ? 2 months 2 days ago #15425

Hah, yeah that is odd. For a guide scope you want a mono camera. They are more sensitive.

www.highpointscientific.com/zwo-asi120mm...nochrome-cmos-camera

This is the one I got. It has USB 3.0 support, but works fine with USB 2.0 as well

The USB 2.0 only model is cheaper:

www.highpointscientific.com/zwo-asi120mm...nomy-camera-asi120mm

Will KStars "V4L2 CCD" talk to Meade LPI ? 2 months 2 days ago #15426

• oopfan
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
Hey rockstar, are you connecting to WIndows or Linux?

I agree, I like the light curve of the mono better, greater sensitivity, especially for a small aperture scope like the ETX-90. On the other hand since I will be using it for imaging it would be nice to have color. At this time I am leaning in the direction of QHY but that could change.

Will KStars "V4L2 CCD" talk to Meade LPI ? 2 months 2 days ago #15427

Linux, and if you are doing the same that is a reason to lean the direction of ZWO. They provide Linux drivers for all of their cameras. QHY eventually does, but it takes them a long time to get there. You can put a filter wheel in front of a mono camera to get color.

Will KStars "V4L2 CCD" talk to Meade LPI ? 2 months 2 days ago #15428

• oopfan
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
Here is the big BUT: are you plugging into a USB 3 port or USB 2? My Linux laptop has lots of USB 3 ports and just one USB 2 but I will not be taking my laptop outside and leaving it there. I want to use one of my Raspberry Pi's. They only have USB 2 ports.

Time to create page: 0.106 seconds

Login

3rd Party

Choose from the numerous 3rd party INDI drivers to suit your needs!

Got Problem?

Check out the FAQ, the forum, and the bug tracking system to resolve any issues you might have!
You can also subscribe to INDI newsletter and development mailing lists to get the latest updates on INDI!

Gallery

Replica

Why INDI

Replica