INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

QHY8 support

• Thank you received: 8

Replied by Fabio Papa on topic QHY8 support

I'll try and take a look. Where should I search for the firmware? Is it called qhy.hex just like what's now in libqhy?
7 years 1 week ago #15280

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by Jasem Mutlaq on topic QHY8 support

I honestly have no idea how the Windows stuff are handled. I don't imagine they're very different. Good luck!
7 years 1 week ago #15281

Oh, I thought the .hex files from libqhy came from the windows driver. How are they obtained then?
Anyway, I'll take a look.
7 years 1 week ago #15282

Some more informations.
After Windows initializes the camera, it's then recognized from linux as a QHY8 S, with a devId of 6001, which is not found in the udev rules file. Here the dmesg output:
[ 3.244056] usb 1-8: new high-speed USB device number 7 using ehci-pci
[ 3.394660] usb 1-8: config 1 interface 0 altsetting 0 bulk endpoint 0x1 has invalid maxpacket 64
[ 3.394664] usb 1-8: config 1 interface 0 altsetting 0 bulk endpoint 0x81 has invalid maxpacket 64
[ 3.397647] usb 1-8: New USB device found, idVendor=1618, idProduct=6001
[ 3.397650] usb 1-8: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=0
[ 3.397652] usb 1-8: Product: QHY-8 S
[ 3.397654] usb 1-8: Manufacturer: QHY-CCD
The problem seems to be this particular camera doesn't work when programmed with the QHY8.HEX file present in libqhy. It seems to require another version of the HEX file. Unfortunately, when initially connected, the camera presents itself with a devId of 6000, which is the common QHY8 one. It will be impossible to make a version of libqhy that works with this and the other cameras.
Where could I find a different version of the HEX file compatible with this -S variant? Do I have to contact qhyccd directly, you think?

Thanks
7 years 1 week ago #15342

Replied by Jasem Mutlaq on topic QHY8 support

Yeah contacting QHY is now your only option.
7 years 1 week ago #15346

Good news: Qiu has been very fast and provided me with an alternative version of the qhy8 hex file that works with my friend camera. For anyone interested, you can find it in this qhyccd forum thread:
qhyccd.com/bbs/index.php?topic=5789.0
Unfortunately, I believe it's impossible to create a rule to account for both versions, as the unprogrammed camera presents itself to udev as a standard qhy8 camera, so I needed to replace the existing hex file with this one.

Unfortunately, we still have a couple of issues I'd really like your input on, Jasem.
The first seems trivial but I wasn't able to solve it permanently. The image downloaded from the camera has 3 black bars: a slim one on top, one on the left and a big area to the right. I know there's the frame settings in the capture window, but it always resets to the default. I tried putting the right image setting in the camera configuration screen and then save the config, but it seems it's either not saved, or the capture window overrides it. How can I store those image settings permanently?
The second issue is a bit more serious. We are unable to stop the camera during an exposure. Or rather, Ekos will stop, but the camera enters a state where it's unable to process any other request. It actually isn't the camera, though, as an indi server restart is required. What can it be? Do you need any log output?

Thanks!
7 years 1 week ago #15445

• Thank you received: 3

Replied by Gary McKenzie on topic QHY8 support

Hi,

I have the same issue:

Genuine QHY8. Will work in Ekos if first connected in Windows and then rebooted in to linux without disconnecting, (able to use Ekos and take an image).
dmsg reports:
1.740784] usb 3-3: config 1 interface 0 altsetting 0 bulk endpoint 0x1 has invalid maxpacket 64
[ 1.740976] usb 3-3: New USB device found, idVendor=16c0, idProduct=2972
[ 1.740978] usb 3-3: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=0
[ 1.740979] usb 3-3: Product: QHY-8 V10
[ 1.740980] usb 3-3: Manufacturer: QHYCams

Will not connect if booted to Linux first

If I run
indiserver -vvv indi_qhy_ccd

I get:

gary@Observatory ~ $ indiserver -vvv indi_qhy_ccd
2017-03-21T08:28:43: startup: indiserver -vvv indi_qhy_ccd
2017-03-21T08:28:43: Driver indi_qhy_ccd: pid=2992 rfd=3 wfd=6 efd=7
2017-03-21T08:28:43: listening to port 7624 on fd 4
2017-03-21T08:28:43: Driver indi_qhy_ccd: sending msg copy 1 nq 1:
<getProperties version='1.7'/>

Would be greatful if a work around could be found
Last edit: 7 years 1 week ago by Gary McKenzie.
7 years 1 week ago #15448

Click on the link I just posted, download the hex file linked there and replace it with the original file.
It should then work.
7 years 1 week ago #15449

Hi,
just tried it

Camera was recognised, connected and I was able to take a couple of test shots of a couple of seconds duration. Kstars/Ekos then locked up completely, requiring me to remove power and reboot to restore operation. I also noted the same bars you mentioned in an earlier post.

cheers
Gary
7 years 1 week ago #15450

Did you abort an exposure, by any chance? It locks up for me too, but in my case, restarting the indiserver fixes it, or if it doesn't, unplugging and plugging back the camera then restarting indiserver, solves it.
7 years 1 week ago #15451

No,
but just before it locked up I changed the offset.

After reboot it appears to be working perfectly - I've taken about a dozen images of varying length and have not had a lock up at all. Seems to be fine apart from the bars at either side. just glad it works!

cheers
gary
7 years 1 week ago #15452

Can you please try to interrupt an exposure? Just do a 60 sec preview and interrupt it at like 2 seconds in. The try taking another exposure, of whatever length,
7 years 1 week ago #15453

Time to create page: 1.537 seconds