INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Should I just ditch the StarShoot (QHY5) autoguide camera?

• Thank you received: 32
I love Ekos and KStars and since I got my Ethernet connection last month most is working beautifully. However, this also showed the real (not related to my poor wifi connection I had) issues I still have with the StarShoot camera. Quite frankly, it's terrible in the sense of being reliable. I always run into capturing frames, for instance for the polar alignment, then restarting it and getting an error which can only be resolved by stopping INDI and the drivers en starting everything up again. This happens throughout various elements of the capture process. I can only image a whole night when every single step is perfect during initial setup. Which is why I lately resorted to SGP and Windows, on which the driver does behave (but was a pain to get going). It's all the fault of the QHY driver and QHY/Orion itself I guess so I'm kind of giving up on them. I really want to move back to Linux..

So, I'm hearing a lot of good things about the Lodestar X2. I think I want to go for that one, but before I do, can people here tell me if this behaves way better under INDI?

Thanks!
6 years 11 months ago #15962

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 87
That looks my nigthmare trying to get my SSAG working on INDI. Even on windows it wasn't reliable at all. Totally unstable.
I even used qhy drivers to replace SSAG drivers. I ditched it and got an ASI120MM.

It's not perfect too, sometimes it has some quirks as you can see in the foruns (usb bandwidth / hub connections) but it's pretty stable once you get it right. It also has small pixels (3.75 um) wich is good for guiding at short focal lengths like mine (480mm). My guiding improved a lot making the switch.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Vincent Groenewold
Last edit: 6 years 11 months ago by nMAC.
6 years 11 months ago #15963

So just wanted to update this. I recently got a Lodestar X2 and it's working like a charm under INDI! The QHY driver is definitely just not working right under Linux. Get a Lodestar X2 anyway people, should have done that a year ago. :) This means I'm returning to Linux!
6 years 8 months ago #17721

• Thank you received: 72
I have been struggling with the SSAG all winter, so thanks for the update.

I found that disabling two axis calibration will let it calibrate, but if any process aborts a exposure then it's a server reboot.
I thing it is something like "SingleFrameCaptureError(-1)".

As it's the weakest link in my obsy, I'll be saving up for the lodestar.
I do think I recall the Lodestar 1x is working great as well, so I might go for that to keep cost down. (I just installed my ST80 as a guide scope for my Equinox 80, so slight overkill already :) )
Proud owner of Observatory 17b - A remote Linux observatory.
Build thread @ SGL: Starting summers observatory project
6 years 8 months ago #17740

My exact problem, always has been since the beginning, QHY is at fault here it seems so I'm not getting their cams anymore. Both the original Lodestar as the X2 are great it seems, the X2 is just a bit more sensitive, but not by that much, don't hold off on it too long. ;)
6 years 8 months ago #17746

• Thank you received: 76
I also moved to a lodestar x2 (from a zwo 120) and its an amazing camera. The ASI was always the weak link in the chain. Not indi's fault. Just crappy electronics that dont work well under linux (the zwo that is). The lodestar is so sensitive its amazing and works flawlessly under INDI.
Derek
The following user(s) said Thank You: Vincent Groenewold
6 years 8 months ago #17752

Time to create page: 1.126 seconds