INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

ASI1600MC-C question

• Thank you received: 109

ASI1600MC-C question was created by Jim

Greetings,

I have a ASI1600MC-C that I am trying to use with the latest INDI-bleeding packages on Fedora. I also have a ASI290MC.

I am able to capture a preview image in RAW 8bit, RGB24, and LUMA, but when I switch to 16bit, I get an error in INDI that just says:
Exposure failed after 3 attempts

Also, when I switch to RAW 16bit in the control panel, I get the following messages:
Warning: 16bit RAW is not supported on all hardware platforms
16 bit bayer format GRBG it not supported by the SER recorder

I know the 16bit RAW works on the ASI290MC, so can ignore the first message, but is the second message a concern?

Thanks
6 years 11 months ago #16431

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by Jim on topic ASI1600MC-C question

A bit of a follow up. It turned out that I had multiple instances of the ASI INDI server running on the scope machine. Not sure how multiple started, but when I restarted just 1 instance, things worked better.

I still get the messages about SER and GRGB, but things seem to work okay.

In other threads, there has been the discussion about gain and offset (brightness). Depending on the night, I use either the 0 gain or 139 gain settings with good luck.

Gamma is another beast.

I am finding if I leave gamma at 50, any longer exposures result in very blue frames. I tried setting the auto color balance check boxes for blue and red, but I am not seeing how they change anything. If I lower the gamma to 40 or even 30 for a 120sec exposure, the background get darker and less blue, though detail seems to then also be lost in the image. If I set the gamma back up to 40, the detail is back, and so is the blue.

Does anyone have any recommended starting configs for the asi1600mc as far as color balances, gamma and anything else?

Thanks
Jim
6 years 11 months ago #16700

• Thank you received: 11

Replied by Keith Cobby on topic ASI1600MC-C question

The 16-bit Raw warning to take SER (live video) is just a warning that you need 8-bit to do it.

I'm not sure you should change the Gamma from 50 for One Shot Colour images. The blue can be decreased in post processing.

Just a thought, excessive blue could indicate a collimation issue if you use a Newtonian.

I use the mono version so cannot really double check for you.
Skywatcher 190MN - EQ6 Pro (with Belt Mod) - ASI1600MM-Cooled - ASI EFW7 - ASI120MM - WO f4 Guide Scope - Rigel nStep - KStars/Ekos - KDE - PixInsight
6 years 11 months ago #16734

Replied by Jim on topic ASI1600MC-C question

Thanks for the follow-up. It is a newtonian, but I did check the collimation, and while not spot on, it was still very good. I played last night with leaving gain at unity settings and then playing with the gamma. I think I found a setting around 40 that greatly reduces the blue, but leave the detail alone. I tried for quite a while to search the interwebs for good starting parameters for this camera. There doesn't seem to be any, so will post them here after a little more learning.
6 years 11 months ago #16737

Time to create page: 0.548 seconds