INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Nikon D7000 - Live view issues

• Thank you received: 0
I'm using the available version of EKOS from the PPA running on a RPI3 with Ubuntu Mate installed.
The (remote) client is a Windows machine.

I have a Nikon D7000 connected to EKOS and all seems to be rather working except when I enter into Live VIew mode (aka as Streaming in EKOS), I ear the mirror being locked and I'm able to see the (video) image on my remote client.

First point: no matter what I do (maybe I'm pushing the wrong dials) the live view image is not affected, for instance If I change the ISO value either prior to opening the live view mode or when already open.

Second point: If I now try to close the live view mode either by just closing the video window or by going into the Streaming tab of the Nikon module on the INDI control panel, the mirror is never return to it's "open" position, which means it's impossible to take still pictures.

Anyone else is experiencing this issue ?
Last edit: 6 years 10 months ago by João Brázio.
6 years 10 months ago #16875

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Not sure about the first issue, but on the second issue a similar issue was reported with Canon DSLRs . The only thing I can do for now is to set viewfinder=0 when the preview ends, but it doesn't appear this is working all the time. Do you have gphoto driver log?
6 years 10 months ago #16879

Actually I don't have it but as the issue seems to be 100% reproducible on me setup I can easily get what you need. Just tell me how to extract it, I'm new to debugging EKOS. :-)
6 years 10 months ago #16899

Check my signature for how to submit logs. If you find a way to force the mirror to go back to the open position, let me know.
6 years 10 months ago #16907

I've taken the debug logs of the sequence which puts the camera in a non-working state.

1) Start INDI and Connect: 00-connect.txt
2) Click "Preview" without and SDCard: 01-preview-nosdcard.txt
3) Change Recording Media to RAM and click again "Preview": 02-recordingmedia-sdram.txt
4) Live View on: 03-liveview-on.txt
5) Live View off: 04-liveview-off.txt
6) Click "Preview": 05-preview.txt

At this stage the camera no longer responds to capture commands, the only way to proceed is to power cycle it.

Looking at the LCD at the camera, during normal operation the LCD has the following status: IMG_2990.JPG
When Live View is ON it changes to the following status: IMG_2992.JPG
When the Live View was supposed to be OFF it keeps the following status: IMG_2992.JPG

If I do the following:
root@mos-rpi-3b-1:~# gphoto2 --shell
gphoto2: {/root} /> set-config viewfinder=1
gphoto2: {/root} /> set-config viewfinder=0

I see the LCD status change to IMG_2992.JPG and then come back to IMG_2990.JPG after the "set-config viewfinder=0" command.
6 years 10 months ago #16919

Downloaded the the source from Github (kstars and indilib) and build them on Linux.
I get now a different behavior from the stable windows client, the video window is shown for a fraction of a second and then it disappears.

On the log I see:
2017-05-27T18:24:40: Error capturing video stream. 
2017-05-27T18:24:40: Error capturing preview: Unspecified error 
2017-05-27T18:22:42: Starting the video stream with single frame exposure of 15.000000 seconds.

When running on Linux (ubuntu) or when building from source do I require some special libs for the video window to work ?
I've followed the dev tutorials and installed the listed dependencies.
Last edit: 6 years 10 months ago by João Brázio.
6 years 10 months ago #16994

No it shouldn't require anything special. Also I'm not sure if Live View even works on Nikon cameras, I've only seen it work on Canon (I have 600D).
6 years 10 months ago #17011

Time to create page: 0.463 seconds