INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Ekos/INDI and QHY 5L-II connection problem

• Thank you received: 174
Hi Dan, feel free to continue with the driver development from the point where I've stopped. In the simplest case just implement missing methods in QHYxx classes for the hardware you have and do understand the same way as shown in qhy5.cpp.

P. S. I will remove off-topic GPL discussion from this thread :-)
10 years 2 months ago #645

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 1
Hello,
reading latest posts I'm getting quite confused...here is reported that QHY5-IIL is not jet supported by INDI but it's not clear if even QHY5-II isn't. I had the same behaviour described in the first post on this topic so I wonder if I have to wait new updates or to check why my Ekos recognized my cam but fails on connection to it.

Thanks in advance,
Giovanni
10 years 2 months ago #646

Hi Giovanni, only basic QHY5 is actually supported. There is some experimental code for QHY5-II and QHY-5IIL, but it is not finished as far as we don't have this hardware and we found, that both QHY5-II and QHY-5IIL have the same VID/PID and thus will be incorrectly detected by driver framework. Peter
10 years 2 months ago #647

Thanks for your reply...do you think there will be a chance to solve the VID/PID issue or do you have any program to come back in this driver development?

Giovanni
10 years 2 months ago #648

The only problem with VID/PID issue is that you have to decide and set manually which particular driver to use, while for other camera models it is done automatically. I believe that Dan and his friends will implement it soon.
10 years 2 months ago #649

• Thank you received: 10
This is a most curious situation on the VID:PID. While I am aware of the QHY5 having geographic differences in its VID:PID pathway, I have always thought of the QHY5L-II as having a totally separate VID:PID. Attached is my last posted udev rules, and, as one can see, the PIDs for the 2 cameras are definitely different.

A potential problem can exist because KStars, Lin_guider, and our project use different udev rule names for these cameras. It is my understanding, the higher the udev rule number, it over writes the previous rule. Hopefully, we can settle on one udev rule file name and number. It really does not matter what it is called, so long as we all use it for QHY address definitions.

With regard to code, the OSI project code is written in C, where as KStars INDI is written in C++. While I can compile them both, I am not a programmer in either of these languages. So, this will take me some time, but I will try to get QHY5L as the very first of these.
Best wishes,
Dan
Last edit: 10 years 2 months ago by Dan Holler. Reason: forgot file attachment.
10 years 2 months ago #650

Is the address issue perhaps related to the monochrome vs color versions of the camera? Or usage of particular ccd model?
10 years 2 months ago #651

Base QHY5 is different story, QHY5-II and QHY5-IIL have the same VID:PID (1618:0921).
10 years 2 months ago #653

Hello Peter,
Yes, this is because the same camera hardware is used on the camera for the basic microprocessor, but, its using different ccds in the respective models. The software for the QHY5-II and older QHY5 camera, have the same ccd but different controlling hardware. So, if the user plugs in a QHY5-II onto the system, the software would have to actually pole the camera to make this determination automatic. Otherwise, the user must manually choose the model from a selection list.

We need to check with QHY, but, I thought they updated their firmware to apply a unique serial to these devices. The older camera owners would have to allow a remote flash of their camera firmware, but, I believe this has, or can be, remotely corrected. The specific hex files are different for all the cameras. (QHY5, QHY5L, QHY5-II)

Hope this helps,

Best wishes,
Dan
10 years 2 months ago #654

Hello Giovanni,
Today, I examined some QHY5-II code and found what you need. The OSI project driver should definitely discern between the QHY5L-II and QHY5-II cameras without any change to the firmware. Additionally, it will support binning options on the cameras. That's the good news, though I would caution you, if I do this, its going to take some time even with the help of others. Still, I am optomistic about it.

Best wishes,
Dan
The following user(s) said Thank You: Giovanni
10 years 2 months ago #655

That's a very good news! Time is not a real problem if stuff than works fine! Please keep me updated about this.
Thank you very much for your effort :)

Cheers,
Giovanni
10 years 2 months ago #656

Hello Giovanni,
Because I have never tested QHY5-II camera with OSI driver, could you answer whether you have tested the OSI software with your camera? From what I see, it should work without problem, but, it is best we know its working for you. If you do not compile software, I may be able to package a binary with the needed files and instructions.

Best wishes,
Dan
10 years 2 months ago #657

Time to create page: 0.208 seconds