INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

TIS DMK 23UP031 exposure settings and general config

• Thank you received: 1
Hi all

I'm new to indilib and I'm stuck at getting a DMK 23UP031 to work.

All's fine with streaming. I can connect the camera just fine and also get a stream to dump a .ser file to the selected folder via the Control Panel.

However, I'm unable to get a single frame grabbed via CDD or Guide taps in the main application. I'm getting a Warning from Main Control:
<< WARNING ... Failed 0.250-second manual exposure, out of device tick bounds [1,300000]

Is there a magic spell to get it working?
Any suggestions would be highly appreciated.

cheers from Switzerland
Niko
6 years 8 months ago #17745

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 301
Hello!
We've been chasing this issue for several weeks now... During the last days we pushed a few changes to the V4L2 driver to clarify the logs which were mixing time units up. On my side, while I own a DMK 21AU04.AS, I can't seem to reproduce the issue, which is annoying...
Could you share information about your setup? Hardware, Kernel version, Indi version, and V4L2 debug logs? In the indi panel, enable Debug and tick Debug Driver, and paste the contents of the console, describing your scenario with the CCD exposure.
Thanks! Let's get this fixed!
-Eric
6 years 8 months ago #17782

Hi Eric

I'm using the camera on a RPi3, directly connected to a USB port. However, the same issue is evident with the EKOS VirtualBox image provided by Jasem.
OS on the RPi is Ubuntu mate 16.04.1 LTS with the ppa from Jasem.
uname -a
Linux INDIPi 4.4.38-v7+ #938 SMP Thu Dec 15 15:22:21 GMT 2016 armv7l armv7l armv7l GNU/Linux

v4l2 driver version shipped with indilib 1.4.1. If you have a more recent version I'm happy to test it, please provide instructions on how to fiddle it into the system, as I'm new to all this.

I attached the log file, hope that's what you're looking for.

Many thanks in advance and good to hear that I'm not the only person with this problem.
Niko
Last edit: 6 years 8 months ago by Niko Kivel.
6 years 8 months ago #17788
Attachments:

Could you clarify what setup you use when saying "the same issue is evident with the EKOS VirtualBox image"?
You mean you connect the DMK directly on the host PC running the VM, initialize a local INDI server, and observe that the problem is the same?

Thanks for the logs. I observe that the three controls have strange starting values:
DEBUG	17.292194 sec	: Adding Brightness -- min: 0 max: 4095 step: 1 value: 1992051051
DEBUG	17.292482 sec	: Adding Gain -- min: 4 max: 63 step: 1 value: 1992051051
DEBUG	17.292759 sec	: Adding Exposure (Absolute) -- min: 1 max: 300000 step: 1 value: 1992051051
If I compare to my own logs, I see:
2017-07-11T19:52:51: Adding Brightness -- min: 0 max: 63 step: 1 value: 0 
2017-07-11T19:52:51: Adding Gamma -- min: 1 max: 500 step: 1 value: 0 
2017-07-11T19:52:51: Adding Gain -- min: 260 max: 1023 step: 1 value: 0 

That might be a hint. I also see the symptom we are after (the logs in your version are a bit misleading):
DEBUG	37.864083 sec	:   Setting Brightness (Brightness) to 100, ctrl_id = 0x980900
DEBUG	37.864687 sec	:   Setting Gain (Gain) to 5, ctrl_id = 0x980913
DEBUG	37.865390 sec	:   Setting Exposure (Absolute) (Exposure (Absolute)) to 10, ctrl_id = 0x9A0902
WARNING	37.866211 sec	: Failed 0.100-second manual exposure, out of device tick bounds [1,30] seconds.
WARNING	37.886070 sec	: Failed 0.100-second manual exposure, out of device tick bounds [1,30] seconds.
WARNING	37.895241 sec	: Failed 0.100-second manual exposure, out of device tick bounds [1,30] seconds.

From there, could you update your INDI installation to r3191 or later? If you added Jasem's ppa to your package manager, you only have to update and you should get that version (or a later one). I'd like to know whether my fixes change something to your scenario.

Thanks,
-Eric
6 years 8 months ago #17791

Hi Eric

@VM: yes, VirtualBox hosted on a MacBookPro, USB passed through and started a local indiserver. Same issue as on the RPi.

I noticed the strange values during initialization. However, I also set them via the respective panel to which the camera responded. Also, the CCD panel seems to push the settings before an exposure attempt.

I'll update to the latest version as soon as possible and let you know.

cheers
Niko
6 years 8 months ago #17794

I'm also looking into why there are 3 failures reported successively. While it is possible, surely you didn't click the expose button thrice so quickly...
6 years 8 months ago #17795

@triple exposure: That only happens when clicking "Preview" in the CCD panel. If I click "Set" in the "Main Control" panel of the "Indi Control Panel" I get only a single error.

I updated to 'libindi1 armhf 1.4.1+r3194~201707111817~ubuntu16.04.1'
The new log is attached.
cheers
Niko
Last edit: 6 years 8 months ago by Niko Kivel.
6 years 8 months ago #17800
Attachments:

If he clicks "Preview" in Ekos and it fails, it attempts a couple more captures automatically so this is why.
6 years 8 months ago #17804

Yes, preview makes three attempts to capture a picture.

I was in contact with TIS. They said the camera can only stream, no single frame capability.
Is there a way to still use the cam for guiding? That's what I intended to use it for in the first place.

Niko
6 years 8 months ago #17811

Given the log, I'd say there is room for single exposure as the controls are available. I'm still investigating the issue.
-Eric
6 years 8 months ago #17814

So after (better) investigation, the device provides no control to switch from the auto aperture mode to the manual aperture mode.
This means the device would be restricted to the frame rates listed for each picture size (1/3s max in some resolutions).
I'll try to update the V4L2 CCD driver so that it chooses the closest frame duration, or at least uses the frame rate currently configured, but no promises it will be usable.
-Eric
6 years 8 months ago #17820

Hello,

I pushed PR #299, which is an attempt to bypass manual/auto control.

On my DMK21, manually exposing requires first switching the manual/auto control to manual, then providing the manual exposure duration. If I leave the manual/auto control to auto aperture programmatically, the code will attempt to set the exposure, which in my case is inactive, and fail (though there is no error returned for that action...). However the capture will be started nonetheless, using a default duration, closest one maybe, or one that matches the frame rate configured in the Capture Options (I had 1/30s in my test, matches the closest frame rate to the duration I used). Note that on my DMK, this also pops corrupted frames, but the V4L2 driver is able to work around this and provide an correct frame.

On your DMK31, there is no control for manual/auto exposure. So I changed the code not to fail when trying to switch that to manual. Theoretically, the driver may then accept the exposure duration inside the boundaries it reported previously (the control might not be inactive in your case), or may choose a default framerate duration (if the control is still inactive). In the best case, you would be able to request up to 3 seconds as indicated by the boundaries in the logs, or to configure a frame rate in the capture options that may be suitable.

I don't know if my explanation is clear. I don't have a hardware to test that so it's kind of a blind attempt.

The accessory problem is that the PR doesn't build because a prior commit broke the OSX Travis check (Travis OSX builds were down yesterday). Thus I don't know when the PR will be merged and available on the ppa. @knro: how do we fix that?

Let us know how it goes,
-Eric
The following user(s) said Thank You: Niko Kivel
6 years 8 months ago #17831

Time to create page: 1.194 seconds