INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

TIS DMK 23UP031 exposure settings and general config

• Thank you received: 1

Hi Eric

I fetched PR/299 and made a quick test. The behavior is still the same :(, however, more information ends up in the log-file.
Please let me know if I should run further tests or provide you with more information that might help to solve the issue.
In any case, I'm very impressed to see how fast this is going and that the issue is taken seriously.
Niko
6 years 8 months ago #17848
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 301
Mmh, I clearly made a stupid mistake... You have:
DEBUG	36.418621 sec	: - Exposure (Absolute) (used for absolute exposure duration)
And when starting an exposure:
ERROR	67.975622 sec	: Failed exposing, the absolute exposure duration control is undefined
It is the same control that is referred to by these two logs. I removed one wrong nullptr test at line 841! :blush:
Let me push something more to PR #299. It's a good thing you can fetch and build!

In the meantime, have you tried the IC Capture software with your camera? Are you able to change the exposure manually with that software?
-Eric

EDIT: you may go ahead testing PR #299, I pushed the mentioned fix.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Niko Kivel
Last edit: 6 years 8 months ago by Eric.
6 years 8 months ago #17852

I did check general functionality with IC Capture last week. I didn't do any in deeps checks, I was happy to get a picture at all :)
I'm on vacation right now and don't a have Windows PC with me, so I can't do anything with IC Capture.

For good measure, I added the output of v4l2-compliance, if it's of no use please disregard.
Niko
6 years 8 months ago #17853
Attachments:

and ... it works !!!!!

Many thanks for this remarkable example of open source software advantages.

cheers
Niko
The following user(s) said Thank You: Eric
6 years 8 months ago #17856

I won't let you leave until you share a few logs to prove it :) Now that's a happy ending!
-Eric
6 years 8 months ago #17857

Hi Eirc

here the log to prove it really works.
Thanks again
Niko
6 years 8 months ago #17876
Attachments:

Exposures are indeed possible now, but I would advise you to make more tests:in the log, some controls say exposure is either 1s or 1/3s, and the actual frame says it waited 0.125s. So although this is encouraging, it may need tweaking to function properly.
-Eric
6 years 8 months ago #17881

Hi Eric

I've found some time for testing this evening.
The camera does recognize the exposure settings send via ekos. I prepared a short sequence with exposures from 0.001 -- 0.060 s and plotted the mean pixel values over the exposure time. To me, it looks reasonably linear which is what I'd expect.

The log file seems to be a little messed up. When triggering an exposure, the log receives data from the previous exposure.
In this case, I took a 1 s exposure before the sequence start. Resulting in:
DEBUG	2890.131759 sec	:   Setting Exposure (Absolute) (Exposure (Absolute)) to 10000.000000, ctrl_id = 0x9A0902
from the 1 s exposure, followed by
DEBUG	2890.140622 sec	: 0.001-second exposure translates to 10 1/10,000th-second device ticks.
DEBUG	2892.939829 sec	: Upload complete
which belongs to the actual exposure.

I noticed that the "Gain" in ekos has no effect on the images, but I have to check that in more details and get back to you.

cheers
Niko
6 years 8 months ago #17901
Attachments:

Thanks for that precise information.
When a request is issued to the device, first all control values are forwarded. This includes absolute exposure, and in your case a second control for exposure apparently (the one marked in microseconds). Then the user exposure duration is set into what control was recognized to be the relevant one ("Exposure (Absolute)"). So far, that's what the log reports.
Then what is a bit strange is that the timestamp reported in the V4L2 frame itself is always 0.09 seconds. That log is just informative, I originally planned to use it to drop corrupted frames, but in the end that wouldn't have been a good idea. So be it.
On my DMK changing the gain has a dramatic effect on the dynamic, but it is only 8-bit.
-Eric
6 years 8 months ago #17905

same here, it's just not "Gain" but "Gain (dB/100)". The "Gain" in ekos CDD capture settings has no effect on the image taken.

cheers
Niko
Last edit: 6 years 8 months ago by Niko Kivel. Reason: typo
6 years 8 months ago #17907

Time to create page: 0.858 seconds