INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Short exposures for ZWO cameras

• Thank you received: 7
Ubuntu it is then :) I've always liked Ubuntu until the GUI went off-track and I didn't like it so took the Mint fork. I've had Ubuntu since it first came out. Before that I was using Suse, Red Hat and Debian. I set up a web site explaining Ubuntu and providing hints and tips. Gosh, that was a good few years ago :D
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jasem Mutlaq
6 years 4 months ago #20832

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Sorry to bother you but I'm now having a problem getting Ubuntu Mate to work. Wrote the image file to microSD card and put it in the RPi 3 and powered up. I have an HDMI monitor plus keyboard and wireless trackball connected and Ethernet connection to my router. It came up with a screen saying that it had resized the partition and then rebooted. After that it comes up with an error message "Failed to start Load Kernel Modules" then went on to the round image with blobs below which shows progress (sort of) then a blank screen followed by back to the error screen. This sequence repeats at infinitum. I would appreciate any help - I don't know what I'm doing wrong - should be simple! I have tried several times with the same result.

The web site I got the Ubuntu Mate zipped image file is ubuntu-mate.org/raspberry-pi/. Here are a couple of photos of the screen.
6 years 4 months ago #20842
Attachments:

Sorry about this Gina, it seems you're having extremely bad luck getting this to work. Thank you for your patience. It seems this message is normal during boot process on RPI3 (at least Google thinks so). Have you verified the checksum of the downloaded Ubuntu Mate zip file against the hashes provided by them? Just to rule out a corrupted download.
6 years 4 months ago #20843

I have now verified the SHA256SUM Checksum and it's correct. I've also tried two different micro SD cards.

Where do you get you Ubuntu Mate image files from? I suspect there are different versions around. I would prefer not to return to Raspbian.
Last edit: 6 years 4 months ago by Gina Davis.
6 years 4 months ago #20844

There would seem to be alternatives here :- ubuntu-pi-flavour-maker.org/download/ including a server version which looks interesting. OTOH if you are using Mate with RPi 3 B, why won't it work for me? Very odd!!! It makes sense for me to use the same as you.
6 years 4 months ago #20845

• Thank you received: 16
Dear Gina,

With respect to the libcfitsio.so error and using Raspbian Stretch.

I too could not use the Downloaded packages for libindi from indilib.org/download/raspberry-pi.html

This was about 10 days ago.

I had to download the source and compile libindi myself.
I followed the instructions in knro's old pinned post.

This worked fine presumably because the download for raspberry pi was for jessie and I had stretch.

My indi_asi_ccd points to
$ ldd indi_asi_ccd

linux-vdso.so.1 (0x7efeb000)
/usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/libarmmem.so (0x76dd2000)
libindidriver.so.1 => /usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/libindidriver.so.1 (0x76b7c000)
        libindiAlignmentDriver.so.1 => /usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/libindiAlignmentDriver.so.1 (0x76b2e000)
        libcfitsio.so.5 => /usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/libcfitsio.so.5 (0x7697e000)
        libusb-1.0.so.0 => /lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/libusb-1.0.so.0 (0x76959000)
        libz.so.1 => /lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/libz.so.1 (0x76932000)
        libpthread.so.0 => /lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/libpthread.so.0 (0x76909000)
        librt.so.1 => /lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/librt.so.1 (0x768f2000)
        libstdc++.so.6 => /usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/libstdc++.so.6 (0x767aa000)
        libm.so.6 => /lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/libm.so.6 (0x7672b000)
        libgcc_s.so.1 => /lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/libgcc_s.so.1 (0x766fe000)
        libc.so.6 => /lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/libc.so.6 (0x765bf000)
        /lib/ld-linux-armhf.so.3 (0x76eee000)
        libnova-0.16.so.0 => /usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/libnova-0.16.so.0 (0x76238000)
        libjpeg.so.62 => /usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/libjpeg.so.62 (0x761f2000)
        libdl.so.2 => /lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/libdl.so.2 (0x761df000)
        libgsl.so.19 => /usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/libgsl.so.19 (0x75fea000)
        libgslcblas.so.0 => /usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/libgslcblas.so.0 (0x75faa000)
        libbz2.so.1.0 => /lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/libbz2.so.1.0 (0x75f8a000)
        libudev.so.1 => /lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/libudev.so.1 (0x75f6d000)

I confirm this worked last weekend.
My libcfitsio.so.5 came from
$ apt-file search /usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/libcfitsio.so.5
libcfitsio5: /usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/libcfitsio.so.5
libcfitsio5: /usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/libcfitsio.so.5.3.41

Hope you get it sorted.

Regards
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gina Davis
6 years 4 months ago #20846

Downloaded Ubuntu Classic Server 16.04 and wrote it to card. Ran in RPi and the system loaded. Insisted I change password which I did (it was very fussy and wanted a complicated one) and it was accepted. I was able the SSH into it via Ethernet cable but the SSH wouldn't accept my password (I made it memorable in my standard format for complicated passwords.) sudo raspi-config didn't work from the RPi keyboard. So one version of Ubuntu does actually load. BUT I really want to use the standard Ubuntu Mate so that the normal commands work - they might not in a different distro.
6 years 4 months ago #20847

I haven't tried Ubuntu on the raspberry pi.

I presume raspi-config is for raspian ???

If something wants a complicated password I set one then use sudo passwd user to set it to something simple, great for the little ones!

With respect to the ssh allowing you to log on. If you get a response then the server is working. Perhaps ssh as a particular user ? root is not
permitted.

I know for sure I have indiserver working well on raspbian stretch, loads of useful info on the web with instructions about setting up ssh etc.

Persistance as usual will eventually pay dividends.
6 years 4 months ago #20848

raspi-config is supposed to work in Ubuntu Mate. I think it's short for Raspberry Pi Configuration.
6 years 4 months ago #20849

6 years 4 months ago #20850

• Thank you received: 809
Hi Gina,

I have been working on a script to get someone all set up and ready to go on raspberry pi or a similar system with ubuntu mate so it can solve all the little glitches. One issue that it solves is that ssh is disabled on raspberry pi by default now. I was hesitant to recommend it because you sound very experienced and really the script probably does all the things you are already doing, but maybe it will help. I also do not understand why there would be an issue with libcfits since it should have been installed properly? And if you try it and find there is anything really missing that you think is needed, please let me know. I havent used raspi-config, but there is a config.txt file that i edit to set the main settings in the boot partition, if that does the same thing.

github.com/rlancaste/AstroPi3

Hopefully this is helpful.

Thanks,

Rob
6 years 4 months ago #20851

Ubuntu Classic Server 16.04 gave errors on update/upgrade. Rebooted manually and it ran text up the screen for ages but I just caught a glimpse of an error and it was the same "Failed to start Load Kernel Modules" error message which I managed to catch with my camera. Eventually though it finished with the logon message. Typed the login as before and it worked fine. But I've found out why it doesn't work over SSH - a matter of keyboard layout. The Ubuntu was using the US layout and my Linux Mint desktop the UK version.

Anyway, I'm not going to bother with the Ubuntu Classic Server distro - I want to use Ubuntu Mate.
6 years 4 months ago #20852

Time to create page: 0.426 seconds