INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Big patch for streaming, please test.

I just merged 'streaming' branch back into master so that it can be tested. So what does this bring?

1. MacOS users can use streaming functionality now. Please wait for an updated DMG for KStars.
2. Ability to select different encoders for streaming. By default, raw is used, but you can switch to MJPEG encoder to see if it improves performance over WiFi links.
3. Support for OGG Theora video recording in addition to SER.

I would like this to be fully tested before the official INDI Library 1.6.0 release in about 2 weeks. Any reports welcome!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Teseo, T-Studio, Jim, Eric Vickery
6 years 3 months ago #21370

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 809
So far all my tests on both mac and linux and streaming in between have been very positive! I tested with my zwo, my canon camera, and the ccd simulator. They all seemed to work well. The only issue so far has been the video that was saved from my canon live video gave an error message when i tried to play it back. The others saved fine.
6 years 3 months ago #21385

I will probably be able to make a dmg tomorrow
6 years 3 months ago #21386

• Thank you received: 15
Hi,

I just compiled the last github indi repository (1.6).

i tested the streaming in remote (from my laptop to the rpi3 over ethernet). With the asi 120 MM, i have a small gain in frame/sec and the image rate seem me be more stable when i use mjpeg encoder rather the raw encoder.

With the canon eos 1000d (same config), i have a fail with the driver when i use streaming. No picture is display and the driver seem freezed (i must down indiserver and shutdown the dslr). I have the message below :
2017-12-02T17:16:10: [ERROR] Pixel format is not supported by SER recorder. 

May be i should install the theora ogg library ?
6 years 3 months ago #21399

theora ogg is only for recording ogv file, not streaming. I will check with my 600D today.
6 years 3 months ago #21410

well doh, I didn't implement jpeg --> rgb decoding in SER recorder.. it's not implemented in GIT and should be working.
6 years 3 months ago #21417

Hi,

I taked the last git.

The message about the pixel format has disappeared but i can always not display streamed with the eos1000D. Same issue (driver freeze).

i have discovered an another issue. In the ccd tab in Ekos, and with the ASI120mm, i can't record video in my home directory. I have a permission denied.
2017-12-03T15:07:30: [WARNING] Can not create record directory /home/christian/Astro/captures/video/: Permission denied 
2017-12-03T15:07:30: [WARNING] mkpath: can not create /home/christian 
2017-12-03T15:07:30: [INFO] Record file is /home/christian/Astro/captures/video/indi_record_2017-12-03@15-07-30.ser 

Also, the image size in ekos CCD tab, is wrong for the height (see capture) while in indi control panel she is exact. This appear only with the EOS not with the ASI.
6 years 3 months ago #21419
Attachments:

One part i was confused about awhile back is that the video saves on the server not the client. So your error that it cannot make the directory is probably true. Check if that directory exists on your pi.
6 years 3 months ago #21420

Hi Rob,

i upload on the client and the directory exist. I checked on the indi control panel and on the ekos ccd tab. I use the live video on Ekos CCD tab and i choose the destination directory in the recording options windows. No confuse is possible.

I tested that i could take and record a picture with the sequence queue. It's work fine. But, after that, if i want to back in live video, the fps is the same that the exposition time...
6 years 3 months ago #21427

Hi Christian,

Yes as I understand you are using the Raspberry Pi as your server and your personal computer is the client. You are in the Ekos CCD Module. If you are clicking preview or pressing run on the sequence, yes it will save on the client no problem. The issue is when you try to click on the live video and save the video. As I mentioned in my last post, even though you might think it would download the video to the client computer and save on the client, in fact the video will be saved on the server, so you need to make sure the destination directory you select in the live video save dialog (the gear icon) actually exists on the PI. I mentioned to Jasem before that I thought this was confusing, and he put a bunch of text in the tooltips explaining it. I believe the issue is that the frame rate would be greatly degraded if you tried to actually save the video stream on the client computer. As it is currently programmed, it cannot save the live video to the client unless the client is running the indiserver.

Thanks,

Rob
6 years 3 months ago #21436

Thank you Rob, i did not have understood this particularity. Your explanation is very clear now for me.
6 years 3 months ago #21448

Time to create page: 0.311 seconds