INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

QHY163M disconnect INDI

• Thank you received: 6
Same as detailed in the posts above. It just stops responding to Ekos. Other equipment works fine still. In the driver, the camera won't let me disconnect, connect, ect, all the little lights turn yellow.

If I restart just Ekos, it says the QHY Camera not found. The only way to get it to reconnect is to restart the RP3. It seems to happen after the camera completes an exposure, the exposure never registers in ekos as complete, then it freezes up and wont to anything else until the RP3 is restarted. I have no indication as to what is causing the issue expect that the USB traffic setting seems to affect it. If I set the USB traffic to 29, it will crash sooner. If I set it to 40, it will crash sooner. I can get it to go for a while on setting 32 but it still eventually crashes.

The RP3 is hardwired to the router, and I'm saving the images local to the PR3.

I had an ATIK 414EXM working on this same system without issue.
Last edit: 6 years 1 month ago by David Rankin.
6 years 1 month ago #23368

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 12

Replied by Jeff Wilson on topic QHY163M disconnect INDI

Does the disconnect problem happen on a laptop/PC with USB3 ports?
I think what you are experiencing is related to the high bandwidth of the camera. I too would have the 163M drop out on my Pi3, no matter what the USB speed setting. I don't see that problem when commented to my Linux PC through. Also, my (new) Rock64 which has USB 3 does not seem to drop the 163M (only have been testing for 2 days).
6 years 1 month ago #23369

Yes, it would happen when I connect to the PR3 with USB3 as well so I switched to USB2 because it was more stable.

The Rock64 runs INDI okay? I may give that a shot then.
6 years 1 month ago #23370

It seems like the last update has made this issue worse. Last night I had 2 disconnects. I updated INDI before starting tonight and I'm up over 10 now.

The issue does seem to be when the image is captured. It finishes the exposure but the image never writes when a crash happens.
6 years 1 month ago #23372

I just took 30x10s images from QHY 168C on StellarMate (RPI3) from my PC and it went without a hitch. Only problem I saw is that if you disconnect, you cannot reconnect. I will try to investigate this issue in the QHY SDK.
6 years 1 month ago #23388

I just took 30x10s images from QHY 168C on StellarMate (RPI3) from my PC and it went without a hitch. Only problem I saw is that if you disconnect, you cannot reconnect. I will try to investigate this issue in the QHY SDK.
6 years 1 month ago #23389

When my 163M drops from the RPi3, you have to unplug and replug the usb cable and relaunch Indi in order for Indi to see it again. I was having this problem fairly regularly with the Focus module, possibly because my manual focusing takes a while.

I wonder if a watchdog could be put in place? Something that could watch for a lost connection and then reinitialize?

Still, the 168 is a larger sensor, so it would be throwing more data over the bus. @knro, are you connected wirelessly to the RPi?

Regarding the Rock64, there is a thread here about that. So far, I have not encountered a disconnect. However, the available Linux distributions are not up to RPi standards. I’m working through a routing issue with having WiFi and eth0 at the same time. Also, full images transfer slower across the usb3 than RPi’s usb2, 10s vs 7s, but I’ll take that over instability. Another variable, since the Rock64 only has 3usb, I am using a powered hub. I hadn’t tried a powered hub on my RPi.
6 years 1 month ago #23392

I'll try to provide more clarity. Here I have the QHY163M setup to focus on an artificial star in my office.

It goes for a while, but then stops capturing. You can see that 35 frames have passed since starting at 10:10:43, but it is now after 10:13. I then click Stop to halt the focus module, and I go to the Imaging module. I try a 1s preview image.

You can see that while the capture began at 10:13:38, it is now 10:15 and no image has been received. Checking to see if the camera is still connected...

... shows that the 163 (properly identified as c164) is still present according to lsusb. I then tell Ekos to disconnect, stop Indi, and restart Indi.

Unfortunately, Indi no longer finds the camera.

This is how the problem manifests for me. I don't know if it is similar or different for rankinstudio.
6 years 1 month ago #23396
Attachments:

colgs3b,

If you read through the previous pages, you'll see an insane amount of different test and configurations I've tried. Nothing has solved the issue. When mine fails, just rebooting the RP3 gets it back up again. Can you post the link to the Rock64 thread? I'm desperate to get this working and running out of patience. And yes, the way yours is failing with the RP3 sounds like the exact same issue I'm having. The only way I found some sort of stability was to not use autofocus at all. It fails every time when I use it. From there, I have it hard wired to my router, using a USB2 cable directly into the RP3, and all other equipment is on a 3a powered USB hub. I was getting through a good part of the night without a crash that way, 1 to 2 crashes a night. After the last update, I gave up last night after 10 crashes.

Definitely going to give the Rock64 a try.

Cheers
6 years 1 month ago #23398

Here is the Rock64 thread:
indilib.org/forum/embedded-indi/2762-ind...ct.html?limitstart=0
A few people are trying Odroid-xu4 SBCs too.
The following user(s) said Thank You: David Rankin
6 years 1 month ago #23402

colgs3b

One thing you might try is writing your images to the Rock64 and using FTP to get them. I found that is way faster than the INDI transfer, at least for the 163M. Downloads are 1-2 seconds.
6 years 1 month ago #23403

Yes, I leave the images on my Pi and then copy them over.

Bad news. After about 10 successful test runs with the Rock64, this evening it too failed while framing. Previously I had no issues for many minutes. Tonight, the 163M disconnected from Indi in 25s. So, the USB3 bus might not be as big of an issue as I thought.

knro, please let me know how I can help figure this out. I've played with the QHY SDK in the past, and I got a basic PNG imager built.
6 years 1 month ago #23416

Time to create page: 0.275 seconds