INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

QHYCCD driver: Can not expose more than 5 seconds.

• Thank you received: 30
I used INDI with RaspberryPi 3, ubuntu 16.04.

Remote OSX is used.

QHY5L2C is used as a CCD, but if you set exposure for more than 5 seconds in the capture window, shooting will not end. (There is reproducibility.)

In this state, the INDI driver will not be restored unless it is restarted.

There was not this problem before.

please confirm.

The log is too big to attach.
I extracted a part of QHYCCD.

[2017-12-29T01:48:03.234 JST INFO ][ org.kde.kstars.ekos.capture] - "Capturing image..."
[2017-12-29T01:48:03.249 JST DEBG ][ org.kde.kstars.indi] - QHY CCD QHY5LII-C-61b7d : "[DEBUG] Current exposure time is 5000000.000000 us "
[2017-12-29T01:48:03.249 JST DEBG ][ org.kde.kstars.indi] - QHY CCD QHY5LII-C-61b7d : "[DEBUG] SetQHYCCDBinMode (1x1). "
[2017-12-29T01:48:03.249 JST DEBG ][ org.kde.kstars.indi] - QHY CCD QHY5LII-C-61b7d : "[DEBUG] SetQHYCCDResolution camroix 0 camroiy 0 camroiwidth 1280 camroiheight 960 "
[2017-12-29T01:48:04.229 JST DEBG ][ org.kde.kstars.indi] - QHY CCD QHY5LII-C-61b7d : "[DEBUG] Taking a 5 seconds frame... "
[2017-12-29T01:48:05.252 JST DEBG ][ org.kde.kstars.indi] - QHY CCD QHY5LII-C-61b7d : "[DEBUG] Exposure in progress: Time left 4 "
[2017-12-29T01:48:06.257 JST DEBG ][ org.kde.kstars.indi] - QHY CCD QHY5LII-C-61b7d : "[DEBUG] Exposure in progress: Time left 3 "
[2017-12-29T01:48:07.229 JST DEBG ][ org.kde.kstars.indi] - QHY CCD QHY5LII-C-61b7d : "[DEBUG] Exposure in progress: Time left 1 "
[2017-12-29T01:48:08.225 JST DEBG ][ org.kde.kstars.indi] - QHY CCD QHY5LII-C-61b7d : "[DEBUG] Exposure done, downloading image... "
[2017-12-29T01:48:08.228 JST DEBG ][ org.kde.kstars.indi] - QHY CCD QHY5LII-C-61b7d : "[DEBUG] Blocking read call. "
[2017-12-29T01:49:00.601 JST INFO ][ org.kde.kstars.ekos.capture] - "Capturing image..."
[2017-12-29T01:57:10.059 JST INFO ][ org.kde.kstars.ekos.capture] - "Capturing image..."
Last edit: 6 years 3 months ago by T-Studio.
6 years 3 months ago #21957

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 1
Hello,
I met the same problem with my QHY5LII-M-6017d. On my 64-bit Kubuntu 17.10 computer everything is working fine, but whenever I try to capture using another computer (32-bit Xubuntu 17.04, 1GB RAM) which has a similar setup, I'm not able to capture photos with exposure time =3.5s or >5.0s, they simply won't end. Here we have the details: on both the computers I've installed INDI and KStars correctly, plus the latest QHY SDK as recommended by the QHY forum. Despite the same setup, the smaller PC (that I would like to use like a Raspberry Pi server) works only if take a photo in the "allowed interval" of seconds. When the problem occurs "shooting will not end" and even if I close every KStars / INDI control panel window, the indi_qhy_ccd service will continue working in background, locking the camera. Same problem from PHD2 (which uses the INDI drivers), or if connected to a localhost server hosted by indi-web.
If necessary, I'll provide you all the necessary information.
Hope this can help :),
SB.
6 years 3 months ago #22005
Attachments:

• Thank you received: 12
Well, it would be useful to divide this into a QHY vs Indi problem. When the connection appears to break, run lsusb in a terminal. What is the output? Also run dmesg. That will produce a lot more output, but you want to see if the camera disconnected (and probably reconnected) or if there are errors.

A number of us know about “flakey” connections which have to do with the data transfer. This occurs for a number of QHY cameras. You might need to adjust the usb transfer rate, or just use a computer that can handle high usb transfer rates.
6 years 3 months ago #22025

Hello,
I made some new tests after knro said me thatSo I updated all the packages in my computers, but then I wasn't able to connect the CCD to my small PC (still working on the bigger one)! So I checked the red LED on the camera, which was turned off... the camera seems to be unable to boot anymore on that computer, even if using Windows 7. What am I doing wrong? I thought that it was a voltage problem, but the multimeter said me that everything is OK - 5V on both computers, which are powered by a wall charger.It's set to 30 in the INDI control panel. It worked fine last time on the small PC, but now I'm not able to connect the "turned off" CCD, which is, however, listed in lsusb.
See the attached file for the output of lsusb, dmesg and the Ekos log.
Kind regards,
SB.
6 years 3 months ago #22028
Attachments:

• Thank you received: 12
In the build I have from a few days ago (away from system right now) fxload had been removed. For some background, when you plug in a usb device, “rules” are applied when the computer tries to figure out what the device is. For QHY cameras, this means comparing the contents of /lib/udev/rules.d/85-qhy.rules against the discovered device. If a match is found, fxload is run to get the correct firmware loaded, and at least for a QHY5L-II-M, lsusb will then report the id as 0921.

Anyhow, if you run /usr/bin/fxload from a terminal, you should be able to determine if fxload is still installed on your system.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Marco Cipriani
Last edit: 6 years 3 months ago by Jeff Wilson.
6 years 3 months ago #22033

Hello,
Thanks! Also, before you replied me, I tried to figure out the problem, so I looked for the USB version of both computers. The one that works has only 2.0 ports, while the smaller PC has only 1.1 ports. To determine this, I found on Stack Exchange this command:
tail -n 2 /var/log/syslog
whose output is, one the working computer, a log containing the USB port ID, while in the small PC... a problem regarding fxload, as you've just said:
~$ tail -n 2 /var/log/syslog
Dec 29 17:50:12 marco-packardBell systemd-udevd[2043]: failed to execute '/sbin/fxload' '/sbin/fxload -t fx2 -I /usr/local/lib/qhy/firmware/QHY5II.HEX -D ': Exec format error
Dec 29 17:50:12 marco-packardBell systemd-udevd[2026]: Process '/sbin/fxload -t fx2 -I /usr/local/lib/qhy/firmware/QHY5II.HEX -D ' failed with exit code 2.
Also, you are right: if the CCD works
Bus 002 Device 014: ID 1618:0921
is reported.
So, do I have to install fxload to get my QHY work again? If yes, how? By the way, why is the camera working in the other computer even if fxload isn't installed there, too?
SB.

Edit: I found fxload on both computers in /sbin/fxload using whereis, so it is installed. Now the problem is why it doesn't work.
Last edit: 6 years 3 months ago by Marco Cipriani. Reason: fxload found.
6 years 3 months ago #22034

• Thank you received: 16
Double check that the firmware is where it should be.
6 years 3 months ago #22040

If you mean if the /usr/local/lib/qhy/firmware/QHY5II.HEX file do exist, it does - but only on the computer that doesn't work.
6 years 3 months ago #22042

I have the QHY5-II mono and as far as I know you must upload the firmware when you plug it in.

I had a problem before where I had been installing various things and ended up missing the firmware
which was the reason my camera was giving trouble.

It is strange that the PC that works does not have the firmware and the PC that does not work has the firmware.

Also check your fxload is working.
6 years 3 months ago #22043

Yes, that's strange. Could the problem be related to the USB port version (2.0 working vs 1.1 not)? Maybe not, since the CCD worked several days ago.On the working PC, I couldn't find anything about fxload, but it seems to work fine. In the other hand, it doesn't work at all:
~$ tail -n 2 /var/log/syslog
Dec 29 17:50:12 marco-packardBell systemd-udevd[2043]: failed to execute '/sbin/fxload' '/sbin/fxload -t fx2 -I /usr/local/lib/qhy/firmware/QHY5II.HEX -D ': Exec format error
Dec 29 17:50:12 marco-packardBell systemd-udevd[2026]: Process '/sbin/fxload -t fx2 -I /usr/local/lib/qhy/firmware/QHY5II.HEX -D ' failed with exit code 2.
See my previous post about that.
If I have to do more tests, please tell me how because I don't know how to continue.
Kind regards,
SB.

Edit: from the fxload description:
~$ apt-cache show fxload
Using a 1.1 port...
Last edit: 6 years 3 months ago by Marco Cipriani.
6 years 3 months ago #22046

The errror log says the fxload is trying to upload the firmware to the QHY but has failed.
The udev rules tells the PC.

On the PC I am at now the relevant rule is at
/lib/udev/rules.d/85-qhy.rules

Have a peak at the file. It looks at the Vendor and product IDs for things plugged in to USB
The ids can be seen with lsusb.
For the relevant device plugged in, my rules say
RUN+="/sbin/fxload -t fx2 -I /lib/firmware/qhy/QHY5II.HEX -D $env{DEVNAME}"

Your firmware should be (from your log), /usr/local/lib/qhy/firmeare/QHY5II.HEX.

If the firmware is missing you could install it.

Suggestions:

Check you dont have two different sets of rules files, they can be found in several places
like /etc/udev/ and /lib/udev/

Can you post the relevant log output from the PC that works, when you plug the camera in.
Then post the relevant log output from the PC that does not work.

What software distribution are you using on each PC?

Where did you install indi from? Are both PC's up to date?

As I said I, had a weird problem like this once and my firmware had somehow gone missing.
Last edit: 6 years 3 months ago by Adrian. Reason: Forgot to mention possibility of duplicate udev rules files.
6 years 3 months ago #22049

Another thing.

My QHY will only work on my Raspberry PI when I plug it into a powered USB hub.
It does not like being plugged into the USB port on the PI. Presumably it has particular
power needs that are not met by all USB sockets.
6 years 3 months ago #22051

Time to create page: 0.817 seconds