INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Canon 6D and AstroPi3 setup, exposure abort problem

• Thank you received: 32
So, first test-night under the stars with the AstroPi3 Pi 3. Working like charm, all devices seem to function fine and thanks once again to Rlancaster for the wonderful setup script!

However, 1 problem. My Canon 6D is capturing the first photo just fine, but during the autofocussing and taking the second photo it complains about not being able to abort an exposure because it's already busy. I'm not sure why, but when I listen I think I hear the Canon just snapping a picture as fast as possible for the second photo and then stuff goes wrong. I think I've had something similar like over a year ago, might this be an error in Gphoto again?

Some log info for the Canon;
[2018-02-06T21:02:22.419 CET DEBG ][           org.kde.kstars.indi] - Canon DSLR EOS 6D : "[DEBUG] Starting exposure (exptime: 10 secs, mirror lock: 0) "
[2018-02-06T21:02:22.420 CET DEBG ][           org.kde.kstars.indi] - Canon DSLR EOS 6D : "[DEBUG]   Mutex locked "
[2018-02-06T21:02:22.420 CET DEBG ][           org.kde.kstars.indi] - Canon DSLR EOS 6D : "[DEBUG] Setting radio/menu widget iso: 13 (1600) "
[2018-02-06T21:02:22.421 CET DEBG ][           org.kde.kstars.indi] - Canon DSLR EOS 6D : "[DEBUG] Setting new configuration OK. "
[2018-02-06T21:02:22.421 CET DEBG ][           org.kde.kstars.indi] - Canon DSLR EOS 6D : "[DEBUG] Setting radio/menu widget imageformat: 32 (RAW) "
[2018-02-06T21:02:22.421 CET DEBG ][           org.kde.kstars.indi] - Canon DSLR EOS 6D : "[DEBUG] Setting new configuration OK. "
[2018-02-06T21:02:22.422 CET DEBG ][           org.kde.kstars.indi] - Canon DSLR EOS 6D : "[DEBUG] Using internal bulb widget:eosremoterelease "
[2018-02-06T21:02:22.422 CET DEBG ][           org.kde.kstars.indi] - Canon DSLR EOS 6D : "[DEBUG] Setting radio/menu widget eosremoterelease: 2 (Press Full) "
[2018-02-06T21:02:22.422 CET DEBG ][           org.kde.kstars.indi] - Canon DSLR EOS 6D : "[DEBUG] Failed to set new configuration value (camera busy), retrying... "
6 years 2 months ago #23048

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Mmm interesting. I switched to indi_Gphoto as setting and that seems to work now (also did a power cycle of the 6D which might also have worked).

edit: Ah no, cheered too soon. It seems that I manually can snap away, but autofocus causes a problem. 2nd photo always fails with an unable to abort error.
Last edit: 6 years 2 months ago by Vincent Groenewold.
6 years 2 months ago #23052

Mmm maybe I'm getting somewhere. I was using the focus module, tried to autofocus, then it doesn't take the next due to the busy error. I forgot to stop the focus module, went to try to manually take pictures and they also failed. Then I went to the camera module and tried a shot there and it told me the focus routine was still busy. So I pressed "stop"and after that could take normal pictures again. So it seems all this is related to the focus routine getting caught in an error.
6 years 2 months ago #23054

Given the Canon 1000D post and his rather similar issue, it does look like the setting to RAM is causing an issue. I couldn't save to SD card, but will dive into that tonight again. Still weird to me that manually I can snap away though.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Magnus Larsson
6 years 2 months ago #23068

• Thank you received: 62
Hi!

Yes, it does sound quite similar - and I even have had a number of precisely the same error report, but intermittent, so I have not focused on that.

I've set my canon to "save to SD-card" now, it seems to work when testing it indoord, but that is of course not with the focus module (hard to focus indoors during the day). Looking forward to your findings, and I'll get back as soon as I have a chance.

Magnus
The following user(s) said Thank You: Vincent Groenewold
6 years 2 months ago #23069

Trying to get it to save to SD card, I'm using an upload directory setting that exists and can be written to on the RPi, but am getting this error;
2018-02-07T16:35:05: [ERROR] Failed to expose. 
2018-02-07T16:35:05: [ERROR] Error downloading image from camera: File not found 
2018-02-07T16:35:04: [INFO] Starting 1 sec exposure
6 years 2 months ago #23073

Hi!
On the R-Pi?

My setup is that I save the images on my laptop indoors but not on the R-Pi. And on the camera SD-card. R-Pi is the setting to save on client or server, right? Not SD-card or RAM. Or am I misunderstanding you?

Magnus
6 years 2 months ago #23082

Well, not entirely sure what the setting means actually. Saving in the ram or sd-card of my 6D or the Pi? Only thing I know is that it kind of works when set to ram (but then has these timeout issues during focussing) and when set to SD card it complains about a directory not found. I used to send the images to my pc inside, but am now running KStars locally on the Pi and use VNC to log into it.
6 years 2 months ago #23084
Attachments:

Well, I can't check now cause I'm travelling. But I've understood it as RAM vs Sd-card is in the camera, and that doesn't care about your setting paths. Then there should be a "save on ....client vs server" setting, and THAT depends on the paths you set for Indiserver and Ekos client.

But I never saved to my R-Pi server. What I do know is that setting the RAM vs SD card to SD card suddenly made the images turn up on the camera SD-card. :)

Is there a SD-card in the camera? I have a setting on the camera for "run without card" too. I set that to false.

Best,

Magnus
6 years 2 months ago #23087

Right, yes that makes a lot of sense and I didn't have a SD card in the camera itself so that explains the not found part. I did use a SD card at some point as I thought of that option but that also didn't work properly, so I dismissed the card being in there as being important and the confusion started. :) Maybe the paths have been wrong, so I'm going to properly check that again inside, I might just be mixing paths up due to the change of saving pictures on the Pi etc.
Thanks for the tips!
6 years 2 months ago #23090

Great!

However, I guess we have two issues here: the focus module isse and the SD-card/abort exposure issue. Feels like two rather than one, the more we talk about it.

I'll be back home tomorrow for more playing with it. But of course it will be clousy as ever when you have something to test.

Magnus
6 years 2 months ago #23092

I will check with my DSLR today. But I've seen a lot of posts about this, can someone summarize the issues like 1. With this option, this happens , 2. in this module, this problem happens. A direct description so when I test later today I know what to look for. From the posts I understand that saving to RAM does not work and abort exposure prevents future exposures.
6 years 2 months ago #23098

Time to create page: 0.285 seconds