INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Canon 6D and AstroPi3 setup, exposure abort problem

• Thank you received: 62
Hi!
On the R-Pi?

My setup is that I save the images on my laptop indoors but not on the R-Pi. And on the camera SD-card. R-Pi is the setting to save on client or server, right? Not SD-card or RAM. Or am I misunderstanding you?

Magnus
6 years 2 months ago #23082

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 32
Well, not entirely sure what the setting means actually. Saving in the ram or sd-card of my 6D or the Pi? Only thing I know is that it kind of works when set to ram (but then has these timeout issues during focussing) and when set to SD card it complains about a directory not found. I used to send the images to my pc inside, but am now running KStars locally on the Pi and use VNC to log into it.
Last edit: 6 years 2 months ago by Vincent Groenewold.
6 years 2 months ago #23084
Attachments:

Well, I can't check now cause I'm travelling. But I've understood it as RAM vs Sd-card is in the camera, and that doesn't care about your setting paths. Then there should be a "save on ....client vs server" setting, and THAT depends on the paths you set for Indiserver and Ekos client.

But I never saved to my R-Pi server. What I do know is that setting the RAM vs SD card to SD card suddenly made the images turn up on the camera SD-card. :)

Is there a SD-card in the camera? I have a setting on the camera for "run without card" too. I set that to false.

Best,

Magnus
6 years 2 months ago #23087

Right, yes that makes a lot of sense and I didn't have a SD card in the camera itself so that explains the not found part. I did use a SD card at some point as I thought of that option but that also didn't work properly, so I dismissed the card being in there as being important and the confusion started. :) Maybe the paths have been wrong, so I'm going to properly check that again inside, I might just be mixing paths up due to the change of saving pictures on the Pi etc.
Thanks for the tips!
6 years 2 months ago #23090

Great!

However, I guess we have two issues here: the focus module isse and the SD-card/abort exposure issue. Feels like two rather than one, the more we talk about it.

I'll be back home tomorrow for more playing with it. But of course it will be clousy as ever when you have something to test.

Magnus
6 years 2 months ago #23092

I will check with my DSLR today. But I've seen a lot of posts about this, can someone summarize the issues like 1. With this option, this happens , 2. in this module, this problem happens. A direct description so when I test later today I know what to look for. From the posts I understand that saving to RAM does not work and abort exposure prevents future exposures.
6 years 2 months ago #23098

Hi!

An attempt at summary of the abort exposure problem (not the focus module problem):

1. With setting "save to RAM", aborting an exposure leads to the camera being occupied, and not responding to subsequent capture attempts. This in turn stalls the whole process, scheduler not reporting it as error (at least not always) and therefor not (always) parking as it should.
(I am not totally sure about when aborting exposure could occur in a scheduled operation. I have at least one experience of it happening, due to failed autoguiding. Then autoguiding was resumed, but capture could not resume for 4 hours until I woke up).

2. With setting "save to SD-card", aborting leads to camera occupied for a few seconds, then subsequent capture works nicely. However, risk of SD-card filling up during the night.

Magnus
6 years 2 months ago #23102

Thanks for looking into it, you must be getting tired of these things at some point. ;)

The really consistent part for me was;
- Setting to save to RAM, works manually, but during the focus routine the second picture always fails as it reports to be busy.

Thanks, Vincent
6 years 2 months ago #23103

Hi!

Just had a chance to experiment a bit, before clouds gather here. I tested focusing, trying to reproduce the focus module issue of error messages about "cannot abort".

And I have two instances of the "Can not abort" issue. It does not happen every time for me, it seems more intermittent. Attached is a log file, where just at the end, there is one of these "Can not abort"-messages, and there should be another somewhat earlier on. I hope it is of any use.

Magnus
The following user(s) said Thank You: Vincent Groenewold
6 years 2 months ago #23114
Attachments:

So I tried a few more things and paid some closer attention. I'm setting the camera to save to RAM, the directory to my local Pictures folder on the Pi and destination is local only. That works, manually, as many times as I want within the direct INDI control panel. When I switch to Ekos and the focus module, I click autofocus, first picture is fine and location is local only, but I notice it changes the setting to client only for the second picture and it doesn't work anymore (busy) and I see on the camera itself it's been set into recording mode (whatever that means) and is waiting. It's very reproducable.

If I then go to the INDI panel, manually taking a picture also fails. I hit abort, go to the location setting and set it back to local and presto, it works again and saves the image to disk.

This is the log for the camera where I took the manual shots that worked, few posts above is a log of the failure;

6 years 2 months ago #23116
Attachments:

Autofocus always changed mode to CLIENT when it captures. If it was set to LOCAL before, it will fallback to it once capture is complete.

So with my 600D, I wasn't able to reproduce the problem when selecting "RAM" option. It just works in Capture & AutoFocus without any issues. At any rate, as a workaround, I added an option "SD Image", which has 2 options Save & Delete. It defaults to save. If you do not want your SD card to fill up, just select "Delete". This will make it use SD Card capture target, but deletes the file afterwards. Not sure if this will help with the problems above, so give it a try and let me know. Should be in PPA tomorrow.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Vincent Groenewold, Magnus Larsson
6 years 2 months ago #23131

So what is the exact difference between client and local when I'm running the INDI server and EKOS on the same machine? And why would that make it work in my case, does that make sense maybe if something is not set up right?

Thanks for testing, I'll try that option for sure, but SD card saving didn't work properly for me unfortunately. So will look into that as well.
6 years 2 months ago #23134

Time to create page: 0.394 seconds