INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Canon 6D and AstroPi3 setup, exposure abort problem

• Thank you received: 62
Hi!

Here's a screenshot from the focus module, connected to the 1000D and focusing.

Magnus

6 years 1 month ago #23217
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 19
I have EXACTLY the same problem with the focus module.

I read the whole topic of you guys here, and found out that this "fast shot" is happening to me too.
I can not say when exactly the problem happens, but i also have the prob with the message gphoto....abort...

i have a screenshot of my focuser settings here too.
I always use save to sd card, because i like it this way.
My settings for saving the file is client, but i do have to say, that i did not understand completely what i am doing there...

My whole system runs on ONE Laptop with lubuntu on it, and all devices are connected directly to this laptop. I work with it from the warm room over Teamvierwer.
This is for testing only atm. I planed to use a Raspi in the near future.
Skywatcher EQ6-R | Lacerta 10" Carbon-Newton | Lacerta MFoc Motorfocus | Moravian G2 8300 Color | Canon EOS 5DMarkIIIa | Lodestar X2 guiding cam | KSTARS 3.4.3. on my outdoor-Laptop with KDE-Neon/Plasma | KSTARS 3.4.3. on Remote-IMac with Catalina | KSTARS 3.4.3 on Remote-Macbook Air with Catalina
6 years 1 month ago #23316
Attachments:

• Thank you received: 182
I am using a Nikon D3300 and somewhere in the instructions it says that saving to RAM will lead to hangups, so I always selected save to SD card. At the very worst, at the end of the night's session you just delete the images you don't want. As Vincent, I am running Ekos directly on the RPi3 and control it only through a VNC remote desktop (KRDC or RealVNC, depending which one you like better). I like saving the images to the SD card of the camera, it always provides me with a backup in case the saving to the Pictures folder on the Pi has a problem. Autofocus works great with the D3300, never had any issues with it.

Another thing I found is that the RPi3 is pretty much at the limit of its RAM when running Ekos on it. That occasionally led to hangups. To get over those, I added a cheap external hard drive (120GB, $20 at Amazon) and put a Swap file on it. With swappiness at the default of 60, I now don't run out of memory anymore and the system overall is more responsive. Putting the swap file directly on the SD card did not work well, I/O is too slow and over time the SD card will degrade from the frequent R/W cycles.

If you want to get around these problems entirely, put Ubuntu Mate, Indi and Ekos on a Zotac pi332 which has 4GB of RAM and a 32 GB eMMC. True, more expensive at $189, but much faster, too. In that case, just set the path to save your images on the external hard drive, or you can put an SD card also into the Zotac and save directly to that.
6 years 1 month ago #23322

Hi!

Good to hear that more are experiencing the same issue (well, good in one way, not another....). As I understand it:
1. The RAM vs SD-card issue is unrelated to the focus module problem with the "fast shot" and the error msg "Gphoto is already exposing. Can not abort" and stalling there - nothing more happens. These seems to be two entirely different issues. Right?
2. The "save to client" vs "save to local" is only relevant when you run Indi on one machine and Ekos on another. If you use a laptop running both, then connecting to it via VNC, it should be irrelevant. If you use a R-Pi running Indi-server, but not Ekos, and Ekos on a different computer - then this is relevant. Focus module ALWAYS use "client" because Ekos needs the images to be able to focus. Right?

So, Cakemaker, I can see that you have an exposure AFTER your "Gphoto is already exposing. Can not abort". Does that mean the process was not stalled? Or did you press Autofocus or Capture again? And what kind of camera do you have?

Magnus
6 years 1 month ago #23325

Hi!
It‘s not always the same. Sometimes it takes one picture after the fault, sometimes two, sometimes three. What always happens, is that the system stops the focus procedure at that point. But it‘s not a system crash. I have to klick stop, and then autofocus and it starts again.
Sometimes it can manage to complete the focus procedure, well most of the time with a not satisfying result. (HFR @ 4 or 5 or so) but thats a different problem.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk
Skywatcher EQ6-R | Lacerta 10" Carbon-Newton | Lacerta MFoc Motorfocus | Moravian G2 8300 Color | Canon EOS 5DMarkIIIa | Lodestar X2 guiding cam | KSTARS 3.4.3. on my outdoor-Laptop with KDE-Neon/Plasma | KSTARS 3.4.3. on Remote-IMac with Catalina | KSTARS 3.4.3 on Remote-Macbook Air with Catalina
6 years 1 month ago #23327

Since you're also getting the "Gphoto is already exposing. Can not abort" and I cannot find why abort is getting called, can you compile KStars from GIT and then I can ask you to put specific debug statements in some places and then check exactly what is triggering this? I tried with my 600D but I cannot replicate the issue.
6 years 1 month ago #23333

Hi!

With Jasem's assistance, I compiled the gphoto-driver from GitHub and ran a long series of focusing, without any of the errors! Hopefully, this issue is solved then.

Magnus
The following user(s) said Thank You: Vincent Groenewold
6 years 1 month ago #23341

Good to hear.

Could you explain, how i can implement this solution to my system, since i sm very new to linux and the whole Kstars-thing

Cheers
Niki

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk
6 years 1 month ago #23343

• Thank you received: 32
That sounds good, what changed?
6 years 1 month ago #23344

Hi!
No idea what changed. Jasem did some magic with the code for the driver... :)

How to do it: the instructions for compiling fron Git is here: indilib.org/forum/general/210-howto-buil...st-libindi-ekos.html

But I guess it will be in the PPA by tomorrow or the day after that. So just upgrade as usual (sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade).

Magnus
The following user(s) said Thank You: the.cakemaker
6 years 1 month ago #23345

no need to do anything, just update your system.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Vincent Groenewold
6 years 1 month ago #23350

Time to create page: 0.604 seconds