INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

AstroPi3: Canon1100D does not take picture in KStars

• Thank you received: 0
Hi everybody,

beginning Tuesday, today a highschool student and myself (planetarium educator) were able to get AstroPi3 running on a RaspberryPi 3 (headless configuration). Neither of us have much Linux and programming experience so we are quite happy that it worked out. There is just one minor issue:

Our setup is relatively simple, i.e. one mount/telescope and a Canon 1100D. Ekos recognizes both mount and camera just fine.
When we take a "preview" image from within the Ekos menu, everything looks good, we can also save the picture from the preview window. However, when we go back to KStars, slew to an object (which does work fine) and then right click --> Canon DSLR 1100D --> Light nothing happens. How do we take *manually* an image from within KStars?

We've looked in this forum, but either nobody else had this problem or we couldn't find it.

Thanks in advance for your help.
David
6 years 1 month ago #23606

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

That does not take an image! That selects what type of frame you want (Light, Dark, Bias..etc). To take an image, you need to use Ekos to do that.
6 years 1 month ago #23625

• Thank you received: 20
Here is the link to the Ekos Capture Module manual:
www.indilib.org/about/ekos/capture-module.html
The following user(s) said Thank You: David Gruber
6 years 1 month ago #23626

Ah ok, thanks. I assumed that since it is possible to control the mount from within KStars (slew, track etc) that I would also be able to control the camera in KStars.

So if it is not possible to control the camera in KStars, what is the point of having this selection (Light, Dark, Bias etc) in KStars if I need to open Ekos anyway to take pictures? I can select Light/Dark/Bias in the Ekos module and since it has to be opened in the first place, I don't see the point in having the picture-type selection in KStars? Probably I am missing something here, so please be patient with me :)

Thanks!
Last edit: 6 years 1 month ago by David Gruber.
6 years 1 month ago #23628

That's a good question. This menu actually predates Ekos, it's been there for over a decade since it displays some INDI Standard Properties. So basically it's been there forever, and might have to update how KStars approaches the standard properties now that Ekos is there. But you can _technically_ still use KStars with INDI without ever touching Ekos :D
The following user(s) said Thank You: David Gruber
6 years 1 month ago #23658

Thanks for clearing this up!
6 years 4 weeks ago #23759

Time to create page: 0.596 seconds