INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Camera Streaming Not Displaying Frames.

• Thank you received: 226
Attempting to stream with GPhoto and ZWO. Both drivers present a black frame while the FPS counter suggests incoming frames. Since it it with both cameras I feel it is less likely an issues with the specific drivers or settings but something deeper.
Edit. In addition while GPhoto driver is streaming the amount of memory it is using gradually increases. It is a though it is caching the frames. The ZWO camera does not display the same memory use.
Last edit: 6 years 3 weeks ago by Andrew.
6 years 3 weeks ago #23764

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 109
I experience the same thing. In my case it seems to be a function of network bandwidth. If I try to stream from the 16M camera, it does not always get the first image. If I wait for some time, it may start, but generally I have to restart the stream a few times, and wait each time. With my 2M camera, it is rarely ever a problem. My connection is currently over WiFI to the scope computer. When I direct connect, I do not experience this issue. When remote, I see the frame rate change as if the frames are downloaded as well. What is your network configuration?
6 years 3 weeks ago #23795

The cameras have a direct connection to the Pi which is running everything onboard. I control everything with X11VNC or NoMachine typically over WiFi, but I also use a USB Tethered network with a tablet in the field and Ethernet at home for testing.
In this case I was over ethernet, so bandwidth is not an issue. Streaming was fine a few weeks ago last time I used it.
6 years 3 weeks ago #23796

Over Ethernet connection from StellarMate, I'm getting this for live video:
120MM: 14 FPS
178MC: 2.8 FPS
6 years 3 weeks ago #23803

I also have the ZWO120MM. I don't believe the network is a factor as I am not streaming the frames, just observing through VNC what is present on the Pi. In either case I see FPS values, but the windows are black. Also the memory issues with streaming from a DSLR is unusual.
What can I do to provide more details on the backend?
6 years 3 weeks ago #23809

Well, VNC would be an unlikely factor. Have you tried remotely via KStars on your PC?
6 years 3 weeks ago #23810

I installed KStars on Windows and was able to connect to the indi drivers running on the Pi. Enabling streaming actually displays on properly the PC over the network quite well. It also simultaneously oped the stream window on the Pi, which was still black unfortunately. Bizarre.
Edit: Also GPhoto still gradually eats up a lot of memory while streaming, and does not clear it when stream is stopped.
Last edit: 6 years 3 weeks ago by Andrew.
6 years 3 weeks ago #23815

I flashed back to an old image and brought it up to date, Before and after the updates, the streams on that image work properly, So it appears something done to the OS was at fault. So I'll leave it at that.
Although I'll probably make a new post on the separate issue of GPhoto's abuse of memory resources.
6 years 3 weeks ago #23832

The issues with streaming returned for no apparent reason. But I did notice some more details regarding the fault.
I found that streaming will work when only 1 camera is connected. If two are connected at once, I get the black window. Or if one is connected later, the stream in interrupted and will not resume unless the server is restarted.
I recorded a video of the various conditions I tried to demonstrate this. Everything is taking place locally within the Pi.
6 years 2 weeks ago #23953

Thanks for the video, I will try to replicate the same setup and see if I get the same problem.
6 years 2 weeks ago #23967

Were you able to replicate this behavior?
6 years 2 weeks ago #23995

I just tested it and nope, everything works fine. I tested this on my desktop (Canon 600D + ZWO 120mm). I will try to connect the same equipment to StellarMate and see if there is any difference.

EDIT: No difference on StellarMate. I was able to stream Canon + ZWO 120 + ZWO 178 just fine.
Last edit: 6 years 2 weeks ago by Jasem Mutlaq.
6 years 2 weeks ago #24006

Time to create page: 0.280 seconds