INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Canon DSLR Off By One Images - Very Dangerous!

• Thank you received: 102
Awesome!
BTW, I'm the one that submitted the bug fix for the SynScan driver. I'm brand new to INDI/Ekos/KStars, but I really like the distributed nature of it. Just because the first time using it, it doesn't work, and had to pull out the source code editor and fix it myself, I don't let that slow me down! :)
-- Kevin
5 years 11 months ago #25393

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Okay I've had some time today to do some testing, with the camera on the bench instead of outside hooked up to a telescope.

With the old version, I could queue up many images in the camera by aborting a capture. And how ever many times I aborted, that's how many images it would be behind.

With the new version, all is happy! The camera even shuts down properly now.

Thanks for all your hard work!
-- Kevin
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jasem Mutlaq, Alfred
5 years 11 months ago #25394

Welcome to the INDI & KStars community Kevin! That's precisely the beauty of open source development! Looking forward to your future contributions!
5 years 11 months ago #25395

• Thank you received: 31
Jasem,

Thanks, as always!

Kevin,

Did you try the scenario where the camera is connected to KStars, take a few pics, then go to the shutter button on the camera and take a picture? Then back to KStars and see if there is nothing in the queue?

This was one source of the problem: my Canon 650D has a touch screen, and if I touched it by mistake while zooming for focusing or something, it would go into that mode, and I have to stop INDI, shut down the camera by disconnecting power, then starting INDI again.
5 years 11 months ago #25396

I just tried your experiment, and unfortunately, that problem remains. Since my camera doesn't have a touchscreen, it hasn't been a problem for me, so I only tested my own issues. :)
5 years 11 months ago #25397

The danger of such a bug is that if I don't notice it, and do a plate solve, it will be on the wrong part of the sky, and the scope will wind itself around the mount. Happened to me a couple of times before I realized what is going on.

I workaround it by disabling touch capture, but sometimes I need that so I turn it on, then forget to turn it off. Then when I am fiddling with things, the shutter fires, and then INDI has to be stopped, and the camera disconnected from power.

You can simulate the exact problem by using the physical shutter button.
5 years 11 months ago #25399

I'd recommend filing a bug report, so it doesn't get forgotten about.
5 years 11 months ago #25400

• Thank you received: 160
I must confirm what kross has said. The problem remains when you take a photo by hand.

I took a photo with Ekos, took one by hand and another one with Ekos. The photo that Ekos did show then is the one that I took by hand. Bummer.
5 years 11 months ago #25402

• Thank you received: 160
BTW, this is the same "ghost picture" issue that we have been discussing and working on right here:

indilib.org/forum/ccds-dslrs/3297-indi-gphoto-driver-v2-0.html

There are no more ghost pictures when working with Ekos alone. The problem remains when taking photos by hand though.
5 years 11 months ago #25403

• Thank you received: 32
Just out of curiosity, but why would you want to take a photo by hand when the INDI system is made for automatic workflows? I would almost assume it could throw that off (ofcourse would be nice if it didn't).
5 years 11 months ago #25450

If you take one manually, then delete it manually before you proceed! I guess there could be a button to discard last picture, but again if you took it manually, you can also delete it manually as well.
5 years 11 months ago #25451

Mainly, it is unintentional. But could also be intentional .

For example, pressing on the touch screen (Canon 650D) while adjusting focus. Or you want to record a video of the moon or Saturn, and forgot to set the dial or so.

Or maybe intentional, for example: I am at the camera, and not at the laptop, and the moon or Saturn is in the field of view, and you just want to snap the picture and not go inside to the laptop, ...etc.

Regardless, this action (intentional or not) throws INDI out of sync, and causes serious issues, as I described with plate solving and syncing to the wrong part of the sky.

So it is best if this scenario is prevented.
5 years 11 months ago #25453

Time to create page: 0.352 seconds