INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Alignment with just a DSLR?

Ekos only works with FITS images, but I believe the images from your DSLR is already stored as colored FITS but the FITS viewer can only display in grayscale, but the image itself should be in color. Trying opening it in another FITS viewer that supports color and see. I guess I'll try to implement color FITS support in KStars at some point.
9 years 6 months ago #2065

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 34

Replied by pauledd on topic Alignment with just a DSLR?

It seems they are not in color. I tried to open an fits from ekos stored as sequence in DS9,XFITSview and Gimp. All showed up in greyscale. So I will play around with greyscale and just practicing taking images from the sky until its implemented. Thats ok for me now :)

I could have taken color images directly by gphoto but I struggle with its bulb mode and thats another topic...
--= human, without Windows™ =--
pls excuse my bad english! :)
9 years 6 months ago #2066

I thnk there is perhaps another way, in the GPhoto driver set upload mode to "local". It will save the images directly to the HDD and not send it back to Ekos as FITS, so it will save them in whatever format you chose
9 years 6 months ago #2067

If I set "Upload" to local the only thing that changes is the filename from file_2014-10-16T15:18:09.* to IMAGE_01.* . But if I set "Transfer Format" to Native I get *.cr2 files in color with desired exposure. Thanx so far.
9 years 6 months ago #2068

Maybe a FAQ candidate Question: Can I add new alignment points to the existing one's after I removed (and rotated) my camera? Everything else was not touched.
9 years 6 months ago #2072

And one more question: When I do alignment in ekos and I gathered points in NW and then I want gather some points in NE my Canon rotates with the tube so that it thinks images are taken vertically and all images are imported upright in ekos. This seems to make the solver unable to solve further points. And of cause I did disable the autorotate feature in the Canon menu and it seems this problem is not only on my 700D but on other Canons too. Can someone confirm this? Is there an option to import the images always horizontal despite what the raw header/metadata tells about rotaion?
9 years 6 months ago #2078

• Thank you received: 0
I had similar [roblem. On 700D when the rotation is disabled from the camera menu it stopped the rotation but on 1000d not. There was an option rotate at pc/rotate at camera/do not rotate - chose do not rotate.
9 years 3 months ago #2624

If the image is rotated, don't the FOV values swap as well?
9 years 3 months ago #2627

Thats what I did. My 700D (FW: 1.1.3) has 3 options: Autorotate (Camera+PC,PC,OFF).

My Kstars is currently under construction but I will look later
9 years 3 months ago #2629

• Thank you received: 0
Oops. Started to rotate on both canons although rotation is off. I can see gphoto sends rotated image????
How does it recognise if its off from camera software?
9 years 2 months ago #2799

Maybe its accidentally not set by the Canon FW or its somehow misinterpreted by libgphoto2. I dont know where this value is set but I guess its in the Exif part of the cr2 file. Currently my Canon is not in the house but I will look on it if I get it back.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jasem Mutlaq
9 years 2 months ago #2824

I've set autorotate to OFF but dcraw still somehow interprets the CR2 as vertical image if the camera is in an vertical position.

So I did a dirty trick to disable any default rotate action by dcraw by changing the corresponding lines in
"gphoto_readimage.c" adding "-t 0" to not rotate at all.recompiled and in ekos I now get always horizontal images. I did not yet try to capture for alignment but I will test if sky is clear.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jasem Mutlaq, Milen Velinov
9 years 2 months ago #2973

Time to create page: 0.521 seconds