INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Alignment with just a DSLR?

• Thank you received: 0
I had similar [roblem. On 700D when the rotation is disabled from the camera menu it stopped the rotation but on 1000d not. There was an option rotate at pc/rotate at camera/do not rotate - chose do not rotate.
9 years 3 months ago #2624

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

If the image is rotated, don't the FOV values swap as well?
9 years 3 months ago #2627

• Thank you received: 34

Replied by pauledd on topic Alignment with just a DSLR?

Thats what I did. My 700D (FW: 1.1.3) has 3 options: Autorotate (Camera+PC,PC,OFF).

My Kstars is currently under construction but I will look later
--= human, without Windows™ =--
pls excuse my bad english! :)
9 years 3 months ago #2629

Oops. Started to rotate on both canons although rotation is off. I can see gphoto sends rotated image????
How does it recognise if its off from camera software?
9 years 2 months ago #2799

Maybe its accidentally not set by the Canon FW or its somehow misinterpreted by libgphoto2. I dont know where this value is set but I guess its in the Exif part of the cr2 file. Currently my Canon is not in the house but I will look on it if I get it back.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jasem Mutlaq
9 years 2 months ago #2824

I've set autorotate to OFF but dcraw still somehow interprets the CR2 as vertical image if the camera is in an vertical position.

So I did a dirty trick to disable any default rotate action by dcraw by changing the corresponding lines in
"gphoto_readimage.c" adding "-t 0" to not rotate at all.recompiled and in ekos I now get always horizontal images. I did not yet try to capture for alignment but I will test if sky is clear.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jasem Mutlaq, Milen Velinov
9 years 2 months ago #2973

Alignment works brilliant but the rotation was frustrating. I never compiled ekos but will try this week. Now the only problem that remains - when using v4l2 web cam for guider , the server falls behind even when its set to 500Mb, and it shuts down :(
9 years 2 months ago #2974

Could you add alignment points while the orientation of the captures changed? That was my problem with it. I was not able to solve anymore images at the point my canon rotated.
But I think it would improve the plate solving accuracy by having the points more spread over the sky. Nevertheless yesterday I realized that the solving over a small area is per se quite accurate. :side:

I have no idea with your server issue. I don't use a separate server. Maybe some logfiles would help.
9 years 2 months ago #2975

Excellent work Paul, well, is there any instance where a rotation is desired? or should I turn it off completely?

What happens exactly?? BLOBs for V4L2 are relatively small, so more details are appreciated.

Edit: Ok, it could be that it is accumlating too many frames but unable to send them in time so there are added to the queue and if the queue grows large, the server stops. More details are appreciated on your setup.
Last edit: 9 years 2 months ago by Jasem Mutlaq.
9 years 2 months ago #2976

I am a not so experienced astronomer but I think I dont need it. Does any professional astronomy camera have an autorotate feature?
9 years 2 months ago #2977

I'm sure no astronomer will like to find out at 4am that half of the exposures are rotated- so the rotation is better of all the time.

The setup -
One laptop - mint17 - kstars bleeding
one laptop - mint 17 indi server only - devices : eqmod telescope/ CCD- Canon1000d(or 700d)/guider - Logitech qc4000pro
Connected wireless to cisco e5400 (hooked usualy at 72-100Mbps ). HD streaming with no problems between ekos machine and the server( VLC)

Everything connects normaly. Short exposures - ok. alignment - works through both CCD and Guider. The moment preview on the guider is enabled ekos hangs for long periods and comes with :Connection to server lost.Check the server log.
Some times it starts for about a minute and then hangs.
On the server the message is the server is behind 100Mb and shuts down. I've tested it with 200 and 500mb it takes more time to fill the buffer but in matter of minutes it eventually does.

The same setup under windows works without a glitch.I can see that it skipping frames, some times to 1fps but for guiding it doesn't really matter.
I was thinking if its possible instead of buffering the server could just skip frames?

For time being I have to relay on windows setup but I have ordered RasPi to set as server and will continue testing.
If you let me know where and what to look for I'll try to give more info.
Last edit: 9 years 2 months ago by Milen Velinov.
9 years 2 months ago #2981

What do you mean by preview enabled? what button/action do you do exactly? Also, in the guide module, do you set the exposure time?
9 years 2 months ago #2982

Time to create page: 0.552 seconds