INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Alignment with just a DSLR?

• Thank you received: 0
Alignment works brilliant but the rotation was frustrating. I never compiled ekos but will try this week. Now the only problem that remains - when using v4l2 web cam for guider , the server falls behind even when its set to 500Mb, and it shuts down :(
9 years 1 month ago #2974

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 34

Replied by pauledd on topic Alignment with just a DSLR?

Could you add alignment points while the orientation of the captures changed? That was my problem with it. I was not able to solve anymore images at the point my canon rotated.
But I think it would improve the plate solving accuracy by having the points more spread over the sky. Nevertheless yesterday I realized that the solving over a small area is per se quite accurate. :side:

I have no idea with your server issue. I don't use a separate server. Maybe some logfiles would help.
--= human, without Windows™ =--
pls excuse my bad english! :)
9 years 1 month ago #2975

Excellent work Paul, well, is there any instance where a rotation is desired? or should I turn it off completely?

What happens exactly?? BLOBs for V4L2 are relatively small, so more details are appreciated.

Edit: Ok, it could be that it is accumlating too many frames but unable to send them in time so there are added to the queue and if the queue grows large, the server stops. More details are appreciated on your setup.
Last edit: 9 years 1 month ago by Jasem Mutlaq.
9 years 1 month ago #2976

• Thank you received: 34

Replied by pauledd on topic Alignment with just a DSLR?

I am a not so experienced astronomer but I think I dont need it. Does any professional astronomy camera have an autorotate feature?
--= human, without Windows™ =--
pls excuse my bad english! :)
9 years 1 month ago #2977

I'm sure no astronomer will like to find out at 4am that half of the exposures are rotated- so the rotation is better of all the time.

The setup -
One laptop - mint17 - kstars bleeding
one laptop - mint 17 indi server only - devices : eqmod telescope/ CCD- Canon1000d(or 700d)/guider - Logitech qc4000pro
Connected wireless to cisco e5400 (hooked usualy at 72-100Mbps ). HD streaming with no problems between ekos machine and the server( VLC)

Everything connects normaly. Short exposures - ok. alignment - works through both CCD and Guider. The moment preview on the guider is enabled ekos hangs for long periods and comes with :Connection to server lost.Check the server log.
Some times it starts for about a minute and then hangs.
On the server the message is the server is behind 100Mb and shuts down. I've tested it with 200 and 500mb it takes more time to fill the buffer but in matter of minutes it eventually does.

The same setup under windows works without a glitch.I can see that it skipping frames, some times to 1fps but for guiding it doesn't really matter.
I was thinking if its possible instead of buffering the server could just skip frames?

For time being I have to relay on windows setup but I have ordered RasPi to set as server and will continue testing.
If you let me know where and what to look for I'll try to give more info.
Last edit: 9 years 1 month ago by Milen Velinov.
9 years 1 month ago #2981

What do you mean by preview enabled? what button/action do you do exactly? Also, in the guide module, do you set the exposure time?
9 years 1 month ago #2982

In Ekos/Contro Panel/V4L2 ccd/Main Control/Stream On
9 years 1 month ago #2983

Video stream window is opened but very sluggish... and when it expires only the last frame remains on this window.
In the Control Panel /V4L2 ccd everything is inactive(not gray - just does not respod to anything).
The rest of the connected device remain working til in ekos log apears server disconected and on the server - server shuts down
9 years 1 month ago #2984

You shouldn't have the steam on while guiding! It's only for preview, having it on will only make it worse! But I'll look into having option to drop more frames, but still you _cannot_ use it while guiding, the guide frame will be already displayed in the fits viewer tool!!
9 years 1 month ago #2985

No no. I'm not guiding simultaneously. Just need to find suitable star or any star at all.
9 years 1 month ago #2986

Ok, the video stream usually last for how many seconds/minutes? btw, you can find suitable star by "Start Framing" in the Focus module as well.
Last edit: 9 years 1 month ago by Jasem Mutlaq.
9 years 1 month ago #2987

The web cam is not lx mod and most of the time after alignment I need to find sufficiently bright star manually . by the way stacking option works nicely with stream on when connected locally.
9 years 1 month ago #2988

Time to create page: 0.884 seconds