INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Alignment with just a DSLR?

• Thank you received: 34

Replied by pauledd on topic Alignment with just a DSLR?

Alright I just realized that I have to build the 3rdparties directory... so I was missing all that options in the menu. Second issue is my DSLR is an damn Pentax K5 which is not (yet?) fully supported by gphoto2. I'll try to contact devs there or I will get a new DSLR which is more supported... then I'll be back.

Thanx so far
--= human, without Windows™ =--
pls excuse my bad english! :)
Last edit: 9 years 6 months ago by pauledd. Reason: grammar
9 years 6 months ago #1901

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Just one more question. If the gphoto2 dev's would finish Pentax support will it be automatically supported in indi or is then necessary to do further coding in indi ?
9 years 6 months ago #1902

If it is support by gphoto then it should be automatically supported by indi-gphoto driver.
9 years 6 months ago #1903

So because gphoto2 pentax development seems to stall Ive got an Canon 700D. Camera is recognized.
Problem now is that the following does not work:
preview opens a black window.

console output is:
when I go to ccd/preview it says:
When I set to JPEG it crashed
system log says:my system is gentoo
kstars 2.2.0
latest indi from git (Code $Revision: 726523 $. Protocol 1su.7.)
cfitsio 3.140

to be shure my hardware is ok I installed fresh ubuntu with the bleeding-kstars and everything worked fine, including preview and raw capture

any idea?
9 years 5 months ago #1988

Can you use Digikam or others apps within Gentoo to see the camera's live preview? Does it work?
9 years 5 months ago #1989

Yes, it works now. Last night I was able to perform my first alignment and I was amazed how fast and precise ekos alignment works with just a few stars :). This is far better than my SynScan alignment.
Just one more question for now: How to capture color images? Or is it just not implemented?
9 years 5 months ago #2061

Ekos only works with FITS images, but I believe the images from your DSLR is already stored as colored FITS but the FITS viewer can only display in grayscale, but the image itself should be in color. Trying opening it in another FITS viewer that supports color and see. I guess I'll try to implement color FITS support in KStars at some point.
9 years 5 months ago #2065

It seems they are not in color. I tried to open an fits from ekos stored as sequence in DS9,XFITSview and Gimp. All showed up in greyscale. So I will play around with greyscale and just practicing taking images from the sky until its implemented. Thats ok for me now :)

I could have taken color images directly by gphoto but I struggle with its bulb mode and thats another topic...
9 years 5 months ago #2066

I thnk there is perhaps another way, in the GPhoto driver set upload mode to "local". It will save the images directly to the HDD and not send it back to Ekos as FITS, so it will save them in whatever format you chose
9 years 5 months ago #2067

If I set "Upload" to local the only thing that changes is the filename from file_2014-10-16T15:18:09.* to IMAGE_01.* . But if I set "Transfer Format" to Native I get *.cr2 files in color with desired exposure. Thanx so far.
9 years 5 months ago #2068

Maybe a FAQ candidate Question: Can I add new alignment points to the existing one's after I removed (and rotated) my camera? Everything else was not touched.
9 years 5 months ago #2072

And one more question: When I do alignment in ekos and I gathered points in NW and then I want gather some points in NE my Canon rotates with the tube so that it thinks images are taken vertically and all images are imported upright in ekos. This seems to make the solver unable to solve further points. And of cause I did disable the autorotate feature in the Canon menu and it seems this problem is not only on my 700D but on other Canons too. Can someone confirm this? Is there an option to import the images always horizontal despite what the raw header/metadata tells about rotaion?
9 years 5 months ago #2078

Time to create page: 0.400 seconds