INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

SBIG STT-8300 with FW8G Self-Guiding Filter Wheel

• Thank you received: 0
I am very happy with the indi_sbig_ccd driver to control my SBIG STT-8300 and its filter wheel, except for its guider.
However, although the documentation says that all filter wheels are supported I have not bee able to figure out how the guider residing in the filter wheel can be controlled.

I have a Celestron mount with GPS so I run the command: indiserver indi_celestron_gps indi_sbig_ccd in the computer at the telescope.
For the remote computer I am using kstars.

I would appreciate any help I can get.

Bruno Nilsson
Vero Beach, Florida
9 years 3 months ago #2232

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Hi Bruno,

This is quite new to me (the self guiding filter wheel). I think this is one instance where SBIG refers to it as "external tracking CCD". SBIG driver is now updated to _try_ to use the external tracking CCD. You need to compile the latest libindi and indi-sbig or use the PPA in about 12-24 hours. I'm presuming you're using Ekos, so please do the following.

1. After starting INDI and BEFORE establishing connection to the devices, go to the SBIG CCD driver tab in INDI Control Panel and select the filter type (CFW-FW8-STT) from the Filter Wheel tab.
2. Under Options tab in SBIG Driver, enable Debug and "Log to File" must be checked.
3. Estalbish connection using Ekos Connect.
4. The CCD & Filter wheel should be connected now. Try changing the filter slot to some value, then go to Options and click "Save Config".
5. If all goes well, you will see a "Guide Head" property in the Main Control tab, try to capture there (put 1 second and click SET) and if you receive an image then you're good to go.
6. If you don't see the guide property, email me the log file (mutlaqja AT ikarustech DOT com)

Even if the above doesn't work, there is another test. Shutdown everything and restart all over again. This time, do NOT select the filter type, go ahead and connect directly. If all works well, you will see the filter wheel type is automatically selected and the filter wheel is connected and the filter slot is set to whatever you last used before you clicked on "Save config" above.

Please let me know how it goes.
9 years 3 months ago #2234

Hi Jasem,
Thanks for your prompt reply and suggestions.
I have compiled the source code and tried your two suggestions.
Your first suggestion did not work since after starting up INDI the SBIG CCD driver tab in INDI Control Panel shows only the Main Control and Options tabs.
I have to do a Connect for the Filter Wheel tab to present itself. When I then Connect I have a choice of following Filter Wheels: CFW-2, -5, -6A, -8, -402, -10, -10A, -L and _9. Thus no label corresponding to my FW8G-STT. (I have attached the logfile.)
Before i compiled, by selecting the CFW-10 I was able to control the Filter Wheel and select any of the 8 filters, however that does not seem work now.

I also tried your other suggestion but that does not work either. No Filter Wheel gets connected, nor does the "Guide Property" show up in the Main Control tab.

Hopefully this information will be useful.
Please let me know if you have any other suggestion to try.

Thanks
Bruno
9 years 3 months ago #2240

Did you first compile and install libindi before indi-sbig?
9 years 3 months ago #2241

9 years 3 months ago #2242

Ok, I'll add more debug information and let you know when to try it again.
9 years 3 months ago #2246

Ok, indi-sbig updated with more debug info. Before you connect to the CCD, please go to Options tab:

1. Enable Debug
2. Select "Driver Debug" under Logging. All checkboxes under Logging must be checked that is.
3. Select "Log to File".
4. Ensure driver version is 1.6 under Options. If it still says 1.5, it means installation was not done correctly.
5. Select filter wheel type (CFW-FW8-STT). If it's not there, something wrong with installation!
6. Click "Connect" and use the CCD as you would do normally.
7. After using the CCD/Filter wheel, go to Options, click "Save config".
8. Send the log file to my email, do not attach it here as that doesn't appear to work.

Make sure again to svn up libindi, compile and install before doing the same to indi-sbig. Do you also happen to run the latest kstars-bleeding? What distro are you using?
Last edit: 9 years 3 months ago by Jasem Mutlaq.
9 years 3 months ago #2248

I have now made sure that I have the latest software version. (I am not definitely sure if I had the latest version last time)
Anyhow, driver version is now indeed 1.6.
Filter wheel type CFW-FW8-STT is now available!
However, when I connect the driver crashes. This is with the bleeding version of kstars and UBUNTUMate 14.4 running in local mode.
I also tried with the regular version of kstars in remote mode. In this case the driver does not crash but locks up.

( I compiled and installed libindi before indi_sbig)

I will send the log file separately via email.
9 years 3 months ago #2250

Jasem,
It turns out that after your recommended update of the libindi files in the /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu directory, indi_sbig_ccd no longer crashes!
The FW8-STT filter wheel seems now to work just fine when using EKOS in normal fashion. However, like before he guide ccd is though still not recognized.

Today I am leaving Arizona, where I have my observatory, for Florida.
I have set up the port configuration in the router here so I should be able run the camera remotely from there.

Hopefully, with your assistance, the guiding ccd in the Filter Wheel, can be made to work.
I'll come back to you in a couple of days.

I very much appreciate your helpful assistance!

Thanks
Bruno
9 years 3 months ago #2259

Hi Jasem,
Since returning to Arizona and my observatory, I have been able to successfully use my SBIG STT camera with the FW8G Self-Guiding filter wheel, using the latest indi server and drivers. Everything is now working perfectly!!

Thank you very much for helping out with a solution to the problem!!

Bruno
9 years 3 days ago #3725

When taking a picture with the STT main ccd, guided by ccd in the filter wheel, it turns out that the guidance stops when the main ccd exposure is completed. The guidance software becomes unresponsive and the entire system will have to be restarted. It appears that the operation of the main ccd somehow interferes with the software for the guide head.
8 years 11 months ago #3952

Guiding is suspended when the primary CCD is downloading, and it should resume guiding after the download is complete.
8 years 11 months ago #3954

Time to create page: 0.755 seconds