INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

1000D and Serial Cable

• Thank you received: 2
Hello.

I am new to INDI / EKOS / kstars :cheer:

I own a Canon EOS 1000D. I am currently on Kubuntu 14.04.

The Canon EOS 1000D does not has a chip that can handle the USB Mirror lock-up.

I tried on windows before and I managed to use the Mirror lock-up like this:

I plug the USB camera
I also plug the serial cable.

I light EOS utility.
I light a software to capture as "FOCUS" or "GUIDMASTER" via the serial cable.

This way the software automatically downloads the catch on the computer and I can use the Mirror lock-up by turning on the DSLR.

Linux in KStars I can not find how to turn the Mirror lock-up and take screenshots with the serial cable.
In addition when I try to then start the fashion "liveview" I have a black screen and impossible to disable the screen without breaking the DSLR.

sorry for my english I'm a little rusty.
Thanks for your help
8 years 8 months ago #4635

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 1

Replied by Marko T. on topic 1000D and Serial Cable

Hi and welcome to the community :)

I too am using a 1000D with Kstars/Ekos/Indi so I'll try to help you out a bit. In order to get the latest updates, you should update to at least Ubuntu 14.10 as mentioned here TOPIC: HOWTO: Building latest libindi & Ekos . I'm running Ubuntu MATE 15.04 with the latest kstars/Ekos/indi updates.
I assume that by "serial cable" you mean the remote shutter cable.

First of all, Ekos/Indi does not have a mirror lock-up function (hopefully sometime in the future ;) ). So turn it off from the camera, otherwise you'll run in to problems.
Secondly, I've personally had no need for live view since Ekos contains a good focus tool under the CCD tab once the driver is loaded and the camera is connected. I can test the live view later today once I get back home.

I hope this helps a bit and I'll get back to this once I access to my imaging laptop.
8 years 8 months ago #4637

• Thank you received: 2
hi !

yes "serial cable" is the remote shutter cable.

how can we use the shutter cable ?

thank for your help
8 years 8 months ago #4638

• Thank you received: 1

Replied by Marko T. on topic 1000D and Serial Cable

Once you have made all the connections and started the Canon DSLR indi driver go to the "Main Control" tab in Indi control Panel and put in the port you have connected the external shutter cable in to the Shutter Release field ( (usually /dev/tty...) and press the "Set" button to the right of the entry fields. And after that "connect" the camera in the Indi Control Panel.

Sorry, I'm not able to post any screenshots at the moment.

Update:
So the Live View can be initiated from the Main Control tab in Indi Control Panel by enabling Preview. At least on my system it works.
However it seems that it leaves the camera in Live View mode. So basically it functions as Mirror Lock-up. The downside to this is that since the camera is in continuous Live View mode the sensor generates quite a bit more heat than in single shot mode. The camera does not leave the Live View mode even after taking images (ie. with the Focus module). It only leaves the Live View mode after disconnecting Indi from the camera.

I hope this helps.
Last edit: 8 years 8 months ago by Marko T.. Reason: Updated Live View
8 years 8 months ago #4639

Time to create page: 0.702 seconds