INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Canon 60D - Can not open camera: Power OK?

• Thank you received: 1
Hi everyone.

New to INDI and KStars and so far liking them very much. My aim is to get a power efficient remote setup for my imaging system.

I'm getting the 'Can not open camera: Power OK?' error every time I try to connect to my 60D. The camera is fully functional and works with no issues in BYEOS.
I have successfully connected to my LX200GPS and Neximage (original Version) Planetary Camera.

I'm running INDI on Raspberry Pi 2 and KStars in Ubuntu 15.04 and everything else seems OK. I've even tried connecting the 60D directly to my laptop running Ubuntu but get the same error message.

Any pointers to how to get a working connection to my 60D would be very much appreciated.

EDIT: I should add that dmesg and lsusb list the camera no problems. I'm launchin indi server on the pi with indi_gphoto_ccd and launching it directly from within KStars as local and get the same error.

Cheers

Pete
Last edit: 8 years 6 months ago by PETER DENNY.
8 years 6 months ago #5253

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Can you use gphoto2 to capture an image? You can also try Digikam to capture.
The following user(s) said Thank You: PETER DENNY
8 years 6 months ago #5266

• Thank you received: 11
Here is what I do as soon as reimage my Pi2. Its the auto mount service thats grabbing the camera first. I just remove the auto mount with this:

sudo rm /usr/share/dbus-1/services/org.gtk.Private.GPhoto2VolumeMonitor.service
sudo rm /usr/share/gvfs/mounts/gphoto2.mount
sudo rm /usr/share/gvfs/remote-volume-monitors/gphoto2.monitor
sudo rm /usr/lib/gvfs/gvfs-gphoto2-volume-monitor
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jasem Mutlaq, Magnus, PETER DENNY
8 years 6 months ago #5270

Thanks guys.

I installed GPhoto2 on the Pi and also executed the commands to unmount the camera.
I can now connect to it and take an exposure. I'm used to using BYEOS, (my prefered image capture app) so this is going to be quite interesting getting it to work as well within KStars.

I have already run into some issues.
1. Not being able to capture RAW+jpg to the client (I like to do this as it makes selecting subs for post processing easier).
2. Focus buttons seem to crash KSTARS,
3. Once Preview is selected to display a live image (which works), I cannot disable it via the button. It stays active until I disconnect the camera, although I can still take images via a sequence.

Are these issues related to GPhoto rather than the KSTars app?

Will be a fun learning curve.

Cheers.
Last edit: 8 years 6 months ago by PETER DENNY.
8 years 6 months ago #5273

1. GPhoto driver had problems with downloading two images, so it was disabled. If someone can fix it in the code, go ahead!
2. I tested on my Canon EOS 600D and didn't get any crash. However, I noted that live preview would be delayed until focus operation is complete, and now I changed the INDI GPhoto driver so that the two are possible at the same time. I changed focus in Ekos and could see the result in the live preview. Each 50ms is considered one "step", so if you set 300ms (in Ekos or INDI), it will take 6 steps. Wait until the next PPA update.
3. I can disable it here just fine, not sure what's the issue.

Please note that Ekos is general astro-imaging tool and not tailored to DSLRs like BackyardEOS.
8 years 6 months ago #5285

Thanks! Do you know what other issues could prevent users from using the camera either under desktop or Raspberry PI? I want to put such information in the FAQ since it is such a common issue.
8 years 6 months ago #5286

Thanks again, I'll keep playing with it.

As for the unmount tips, yes they need to go in FAQ somewhere. I'd have been totally stumped without those as I'm not a regular Linux user.

Cheers.
8 years 6 months ago #5292

• Thank you received: 72

This worked like a charm on Odroid C1+ and lubuntu 14.04 + Canon EOS 550d.
Proud owner of Observatory 17b - A remote Linux observatory.
Build thread @ SGL: Starting summers observatory project
8 years 6 months ago #5297

• Thank you received: 3
On an old Canon G series powershot camera using Indi/Kstars in an UBUNTUMate RP2 environment I was able to eliminate the "power OK?" error message in the past by unmounting the camera at the OS level so this fix must work for quite a range of Canon cameras.
I would like to add a quick T2I (550D) question here because the discussion is fresh and it is related to opening canon camera problem. I have an opportunity to buy a used Canon T2i super cheap because the card reader is not working. The seller claims the camera works fine in the tethered USB mode to computer just cant save images to the card or operate camera without the computer. From your knowledge of the 550D camera or other Canon DLSRs would I be able to use KSTARS as a client to this camera on an indi server linux mode with no card? Currently, I have the following setup working with an old Canon G series 4Megapixel powershot for demonstration purposes but I need a real camera to do anything useful :)

Current setup:
Raspberry pi 2 running UBUNTU-MATE 15.04
INDI-SERVER with USB cable to Canon G camera using GPHOTO dlsr mode
INDI-SERVER to LX90 Via USBtoSerial cable
KSTARS /EKOS Client running on the RPI in additon to the server

All is working.. just wonder if the fact the t2i can never boot to the card will block me using this damaged camera in the tethered mode with INDI/KSTARS
8 years 6 months ago #5306

• Thank you received: 72
Just did a quick test. "550d"

Removed sd card
In canon menu, enable Release shutter without card.
Started indiserver.
Shot a couple test exposures.

Not an extensive test, but it worked. Selected client as save path and images was downloaded to my workstation.
Proud owner of Observatory 17b - A remote Linux observatory.
Build thread @ SGL: Starting summers observatory project
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alfred
Last edit: 8 years 6 months ago by Magnus.
8 years 6 months ago #5307

• Thank you received: 11

Thats's all I have to do currently. I will go back through a reimage on my Pi2 and make notes on each step and report back. My goal with the Pi2 is to have very little customization on it and be able to do everything from remote ssh session.
8 years 6 months ago #5311

Could you also document what release of RPi dist you are using?

I'm running 2015-05-05-raspbian-wheezy.img

Also, on the Raspberry Pi Download instructions page I found that the following command to install dependencies

sudo apt-get install cdbs libcfitsio3-dev libnova-dev libusb-1.0-0-dev libjpeg-dev libusb-dev libtiff4-dev libftdi-dev fxload libkrb5-dev libcurl4-gnutls-dev dcraw libgphoto2-2-dev libgsl0-dev dkms libboost-regex1.49.0

caused errors on this Raspbain image and I had to remove libkrb5-dev & libcurl4-gnutls-dev. I did try installing the dependencies that these point to but just ended up going round in circles as more and more seemed to be required. In the end nothing else was installed and Indi Lib seems to be OK, apart from the few issues I have with controlling the camera.

Can you comment on if these missing dependencies are required for using indi_gphoto_ccd?

Cheers.
8 years 6 months ago #5312

Time to create page: 1.068 seconds