INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Problem with ASI Color camera

• Thank you received: 0
ok, so I have succeeded setting up the ASI120mc camera with raspberry pi and it takes a frame every minute and transfers it to my server. However, when looking at the generated FITS file, it seems that I only get one channel. The camera is supposed to be a color camera, any ideas what I need to set in order to get the full image? Does this have to do with the setBLOBmode?

Magnar
8 years 6 months ago #5320

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Put a link for the FITS image.
8 years 6 months ago #5323

Find the FITS image here: fox.phys.uit.no/MAGNAR/latest.fits
Note that this file is only 1.2 MB, while taking a frame with oacapture give one which is 3 times as big.

Magnar
Last edit: 8 years 6 months ago by Magnar G. Johnsen.
8 years 6 months ago #5327

Nothing attached. If you have TeamViewer, I can take a look. Also, make sure you select the correct format, no 8 bit luma (which is the default).
Last edit: 8 years 6 months ago by Jasem Mutlaq.
8 years 6 months ago #5328

try here: fox.phys.uit.no/MAGNAR/latest.fits
8 years 6 months ago #5329

I have the exact camera and I can take color images just fine on the raspberry pi and on the desktop. Are you sure you are selecting a format besides LUMA? Luma is grayscale, the rest are either bayered (8 and 16 bit) or RGB FITS (RGB 24). Btw there was a small problem with RGB color I just noticed and fixed, but it was a color image nonetheless. The formats are in the Control tab.
8 years 6 months ago #5331

Hi,

Yes, I am also able to take color images with it, for instance using oacapture. The problem, and reason why I posted in this thread (indilib.org/forum/general/606-take-image...h-python-script.html), is that I don't have a clue how to set the correct parameter in the python script in order to obtain the rgb image. I'll link to my script tomorrow when I am back in my office. But, I am wondering, does this have to do with the setBLOBmode in the script?
8 years 6 months ago #5350

Well, if you run ZWO ASI in KStars, you'd have to change the format to 8 bit or 16 bit before you get the bayered color image as by default it is set to Luminescence channel only. When I run indi_getprop, I get this (truncated):
ZWO CCD ASI120MC.CCD_VIDEO_FORMAT.ASI_IMG_RAW8=Off
ZWO CCD ASI120MC.CCD_VIDEO_FORMAT.ASI_IMG_RGB24=Off
ZWO CCD ASI120MC.CCD_VIDEO_FORMAT.ASI_IMG_Y8=On
ZWO CCD ASI120MC.CCD_VIDEO_FORMAT.ASI_IMG_RAW16=Off

So the key is to change the format before you capture an image, so switch on either ASI_IMG_RAW8 or ASI_IMG_RAW16 and then perform the capture.
Last edit: 8 years 6 months ago by Jasem Mutlaq.
8 years 6 months ago #5353

Great! A piece fell into place. So, by writing indi_setprop 'ZWO CCD ASI120MC.CCD_VIDEO_FORMAT.ASI_IMG_RGB24=On' I managed to change the setting.

Thank you so much! :cheer:
8 years 6 months ago #5359

Time to create page: 0.744 seconds