INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

SBIG Fan

• Thank you received: 25

SBIG Fan was created by Ferran Casarramona

Hi,

At start up the cooler fan of the SBIG CCD is on but If I turn it off, I can't turn it on anymore.
Whenever I press "turn on" or "turn off" fan buttons in the INDI control panel, fan remains off and the same message "Fan turned OFF." appears in the log window.

2015-10-13T18:05:31: Fan turned OFF.
2015-10-13T18:05:27: Fan turned OFF.
2015-10-13T18:04:54: Setting CCD temperature to +0,0 [C].
8 years 6 months ago #5427

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by Jasem Mutlaq on topic SBIG Fan

I think Gerry also faced the same issue and traced it back to an issue in SBIG Universal Library, any updates on that Gerry?
8 years 6 months ago #5434

• Thank you received: 46

Replied by Gerry Rozema on topic SBIG Fan

I had the same problem when I fired it up last week. Configuration here:-

SBIG ST10-XME with 10 position filter wheel
Ubuntu Vivid 32bit on an atom processor

Real work suddenly got very busy, so I haven't had a chance to try different configurations and see if the problem in the sbig driver is isolated to one architecture, or if it's a problem in general. I did put enough debug prints in place on this setup to confirm, indeed it is being called correctly with correct parameters for 'turn the fan on', but, it always returns 'fan turned off' no matter what parameters the library is called with.

I want to try it on a 64 bit machine, and possibly on an arm processor, try figure out if it's the sbig stuff in general that's broken, or if it's just a problem with the 32bit x86 version.
8 years 6 months ago #5435

• Thank you received: 0

Replied by Richard on topic SBIG Fan

I am having the same issue with a SBIG ST10-XE on a RPi 2 B running Raspbian Jessie
8 years 5 months ago #5511

I guess that confirms it's the sbig library in general, and not just one variant of it.

Have I mentioned how much I hate closed source bits that we cant do trivial fixes to, because this is certainly a trivial thing to fix.
8 years 5 months ago #5522

So I got to fussing with a few things today, and one of them was the st-10 camera. In trying to figure out the fan problem, I thought I would start from first principles, and grabbed the developer kit from the sbig website. In checking, I did find that the sbigudrv.so packaged in indi, and the one in the sbig developer kit toolkit are NOT the same, they do not produce a binary match with md5sum.

For giggles, the first thing I tried, just copy the file from the dev kit directly over the installed copy from the indi install. My fan now turns off and on as it should on this camera when I click on the fan button.

bunch more checking to do, but, on a first rub, it seems to change filters ok, grabs frames from both sensors. I'm using the x86_64 build right now. I have a test running now to see if cooling setpoints etc will work.

but, for folks struggling with the broken fan on the sbig cameras, this may well be the solution, just grab the universal driver from the dev kit, and I will look into swapping out the one in the indi tree for the one that is working here after I've finished giving it some runs thru it's paces to see what else may be broken.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ferran Casarramona
8 years 4 months ago #6140

Another follow up, this time using a 32 bit linux machine, ubuntu vivid up to date with updates. Same issue, fresh checkout of indi, build it all and get the sbig driver going with the ST-10. The fan control will turn it off, but not back on. I grabbed the 32 bit version of the sbig universal stuff out of the dev kit and replaced the one from indi with that one on the machine. The fan now turns off and on as expected.

It remains to be seen if this version of the universal binary has other problems.
8 years 4 months ago #6141

Time to create page: 0.750 seconds