INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

ZWO ASI 120MC not working with RPI2

• Thank you received: 5
Hi,
After two weeks, now and than trying to have my brand new ZWO running, I become hopeless.
This camera according the different fora should be an excellent investment but under linux I do not get it running at all.
I tried now my RPi2 with Ubuntu-Mate for RPi2 and the result is slightly better.

Could someone tell me what the basic INDI settings are?
I use KSTARS 2.3.0 while on my linux desktop under Ubuntu Mate 15.10 I get version 2.5.0.
I selected under the CCD tab ZWO CCD and It connects.
Should I switch streaming on for taking frames?
I get always the ASIStartExposure error (14).
The USB2.0 cable is the one delivered with the camera and is plugged in directly in the RPi2. The latter is powered with a power supply plugged in a 220V AC wall socket. The supply can go up to 2AMP.

Thanks in advance,
Stefan
8 years 4 months ago #6103

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 41
Looks like you get the same issue I recognized with 120MM some days ago. The issue is in current ASI library (Jasem already reported it to ZWO), a workaround is the usage of an older version (svn revision 2555). For Fedora I blacklisted asicam driver so we still have the older version there.

Btw.: I don't know it Raspi 2 provides enough power @USB, I have to use a powered hub with all my ARM devices (Raspi 1 B, Banana Pi and Cubieboard).
The following user(s) said Thank You: Stefan Nonneman
8 years 4 months ago #6104

I already informed ZWO of this issue and they should be working on it soon.
Last edit: 8 years 4 months ago by Jasem Mutlaq.
8 years 4 months ago #6106

Thank you Lupinix. I installed today the cam under Windows XP SP3 and it works perfectly. The machine I used is bual boot and runs also ubuntu-mate 15.10.
Using the same cam on the same hardware but under Ubuntu does not work in a stable way. I hope you can agree with that on this machine the powering of the cam is not an issue.

I would conclude that Ubuntu is uncarefull with the usb2.0 timing. ZWO cams are hungry for usb bandwidth but what did you conclude that the is the zwo driver rather than the ubuntu usb support?

stefan
8 years 4 months ago #6116

With normal PCs the ZWO works fine here (except when I use the lastest ASI library, I hope ZWO fixes this soon). I use Fedora 22 and 23, never tried it with Ubuntu, so I don't give a comment on Ubuntu in general ;) But as I get "ASIStartExposure error (14)" will all computers when I use the latest ASI library and also knro reproduced it, I agree: Current issue is in ZWO stuff, not in Ubuntu.

About power: I just want to mention this additional source of failure @ARM ;) There you get different results depending on the board. And sometimes it is OS related, for example on the same Banana Pi the ASI 120MM works better with Bananian than with Fedora. All our other cams (QHY5, Atik 314L, Atik 383L+ and SBIG ST2000-XM) don't show such differences.
8 years 4 months ago #6117

Thanks for the info. For the time being I give up on RPi2 and will buy a powered hub. Also about the ARM based support I leave for the moment aside. First I would like to get this CAM running under Linux.

In the mean time I found a reference to ZWO in oaCapture: Open Astronomy Capture.
The last version of oacapture works on Ubuntu 14 and on Fedora 18+ it is stated on the project web-site www.openastroproject.org.
I installed the package on Ubuntu 15.10 and it works with the ZWO ASI120MC.
Honestly speaking I did not have the time to test all the functions, what I will do later.
From my previous posts, ZWO works very well under Windows (even XP SP3) and it seems that also under Linux the application layer is able to cope with the particularities of the camera. I use the cable that came with the Camera and power the camera with the USB-hub in the desktop.
I have no clue about how they did it, but if ZWO Optics is working on a driver (what is probably the far best solution) oaCapture works with the camera as delivered.
Under Windows I was aware about upgrading the driver but not under Linux. Would this mean that oaCapture has a built in adapted driver? What is the root cause of the problem under Linux? Would it make sense to start snooping the USB package exchange on the bus (with wireshark or related)?
8 years 4 months ago #6125

oaCapture uses an older version of the same ASI library we use (statically linked). And with the older one the INDI driver works fine too. Also it could be, that oaCapture uses the lib in a different way, for example video stream instead of single captures.
8 years 4 months ago #6126

Thanks Lupinix, how can I get the old driver under INDI in again and avoid it is overwritten with the newer one? You referred to svn but I did not found back the posts from Jasem immediately. Thanks for the prompt help!!!
Regards, Stefan
8 years 4 months ago #6127

I don't know if there's a way to get packages of older svn revisions, knro should be able to answer. If no packages: Get svn revision 2555 from sourceforge.net/p/indi/code and compile manually (only asicam driver, for rest packages are available).
8 years 4 months ago #6128

If I don't get a response from ZWO in a week, I'll revert back to the older SDK.
8 years 4 months ago #6129

ZWO released an updated library, already available in my Fedora repo :) At least my 120MM works fine now.
8 years 4 months ago #6156

Ok it appears to work here as well, I committed the code, so it should available in the PPA / Raspberry PI package tomorrow.
8 years 4 months ago #6161

Time to create page: 0.997 seconds