INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Ekos crash on Startup on MacOs High Sierra

• Thank you received: 19
I have to check that back, i don´t know for sure...
Skywatcher EQ6-R | Lacerta 10" Carbon-Newton | Lacerta MFoc Motorfocus | Moravian G2 8300 Color | Canon EOS 5DMarkIIIa | Lodestar X2 guiding cam | KSTARS 3.4.3. on my outdoor-Laptop with KDE-Neon/Plasma | KSTARS 3.4.3. on Remote-IMac with Catalina | KSTARS 3.4.3 on Remote-Macbook Air with Catalina
6 years 1 month ago #23595

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 812
Ok then I think I know what is going on. When I said:
~/Library/Application Support/kstars and the preferences file: ~/Library/Preferences/kstarsrc

The ~ means /Users/username/ where username is whatever your username is
6 years 1 month ago #23599

OK, your right. They were there....
But how is that helpful now?
Skywatcher EQ6-R | Lacerta 10" Carbon-Newton | Lacerta MFoc Motorfocus | Moravian G2 8300 Color | Canon EOS 5DMarkIIIa | Lodestar X2 guiding cam | KSTARS 3.4.3. on my outdoor-Laptop with KDE-Neon/Plasma | KSTARS 3.4.3. on Remote-IMac with Catalina | KSTARS 3.4.3 on Remote-Macbook Air with Catalina
6 years 1 month ago #23600

So try my original recommendation. My initial suspicion was that something got messed up in your kstarsrc file or your kstars data directory. So delete both of them and then start up kstars, it will put them back properly reset to defaults.
6 years 1 month ago #23601

And of course you can delete the kstars data directory you put in the system library folder when you misunderstood where I meant, it is not doing anything there.
6 years 1 month ago #23602

I deleted the folder, and the kstarsrc file. Then i deleted kstars from the applications folder.
Then i restarted my imac.
Installed kstars again.
But unfortunately the same crash to desktop happens again....
I have no idea what could be the reason.
I have to say that i do not have any problems with the imac concerning other programs.

Thanks for your help anyway, maybe you, or someone else, has another idea, what the problem could be?
I will try to install it on my macbook air, just to test if its working there

EDIT:
I installed kstars on my macbook now, and it works like a charm. There is one thing that i noticed when installing. A dialog box opened, and asked me if i wanted to copy the data file to the location you told me. But this dialog was NOT appearing when i tryed to re-install it on my imac.
I think this means, that the DEINSTALLATION was NOT done correctly. Maybe there are some files left somewhere that lets the imac mean that it is already installed.

So i think i have to do a CLEAN DEINSTALLATION at first, right?
To be sure that the downloaded file is ok, i did NOT download kstars on the macbook, but instead took the donwloaded file from the imac.

Cheers
Niki
Last edit: 6 years 1 month ago by the.cakemaker.
6 years 1 month ago #23603

Yes, I would like to get to the bottom of this, because I have used it on more than 20 different Macs running El Capitan, Sierra, and High Sierra and on MacBook Pros Mac minis, and iMacs. In fact I'm using it as I type this on High Sierra with the latest security updates installed. It should not crash on startup.

Did you check to see if it copied the fresh data directory or created the new kstarsrc file? Or did it crash before it got to that point?

Edit, sorry I responded before I got your post.
Last edit: 6 years 1 month ago by Rob Lancaster.
6 years 1 month ago #23604

So on startup when using a Mac , kstars checks to see if the folder ~/Library/Application Support/kstars exists before it continues. If it does not give you that dialog, that means the folder most likely still exists. Maybe the folder is empty, which would explain the entire issue, but the folder would probably still be there.
6 years 1 month ago #23605

OK it works now.

What i did was: I deleted the kstars folder in ~/Library/Application Support/kstars and the kstarsrc file in preferences
Then i emptied the trash, what i did not, the last time.
Then i made a restart and just started kstars from the programs folder. This time it asked me if i would want do copy the data file and then it worked again.
Too bad, i have no idea what the problem was but anyway, thanks for the great input to solve this problem.

cheers
Niki
6 years 1 month ago #23607

Awesome. Glad its fixed. And I think we learned a thing or two. I might have to try this emptying or not emptying the trash thing, I'm not sure I would have expected that to be the problem.
6 years 1 month ago #23608

I am not sure if that was the problem. Maybe i just didn‘t do it right... But thats what i think the problem was.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk
6 years 1 month ago #23610

Funny story. When trying to use kstars today to set up the remotecontrol for my laptop, kstars suddenly crashed to desktop and won´t start anymore.
So it seems i am in the same state, i was today before fixing that issue...

Edit: A friend who works with Mac/Linux as a software developer told me that it seems to him that kstars would like to show something on the screen, that causes the crash.
Maybe this helps for finding a reason for the crash.
Last edit: 6 years 1 month ago by the.cakemaker.
6 years 1 month ago #23612

Time to create page: 0.470 seconds