INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Capture: Tmp folder on remote machine filled up

• Thank you received: 62
Hi!

I'm running indi remotely on a R-Pi. So the setup is: Raspberry Pi is connected to the telescope and camera, then my laptop connected to the R-Pi (either over wifi or cabled network) (I've got a rather small SSD drive on the laptop, and store the subs on an external USB drive - and that works nicely)

Problem now, taking a lot of subs, is that the /tmp folder on my remote machine (not the R-Pi) gets filled up with preview files, after a while making download of images impossible. .

So: how do I stop the capture module from producing previews? And how do I empty the /tmp folder without either manually deleting them, or rebooting the laptop? Actually, I would have expected the preview temp-files to be deleted whtn the preview window is closed..

Magnus
8 years 2 months ago #6754

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Ekos deletes preview files and I just confirmed it on my machine. Are they the fitXXXX files? Try deleting them for now, and check if this happens again when you capture a preview.
8 years 2 months ago #6760

Hi!

Strange. No, not fits - I have set the download to "native" so they're cr2-files. Does it matter if I close the preview window with the "Close" button or the cross in the window head? (I always use the cross). And is there a way to make it not show the previews? A nuisance when capturing many subs unattended, I think.

Btw: I am just more and more impressed by this great astro software! Great work!

Magnus
8 years 2 months ago #6762

• Thank you received: 51
Hello all,

Maybe I asked the question before to you Jasem but not recorded the answer.
How to specify to Ekos to store images on the remote device storage ?
If it is in Indi configuration what is the syntax to specify the path ?

Thank you
Patrick
8 years 2 months ago #6778

It's in the driver "Options" tab, you can set "Upload" to local and it will save it at the machine running the driver. The directory can be specified in Ekos capture module.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Patrick
8 years 2 months ago #6781

Hello Jasem,
I have switched to local in the device option, specified an absolute path on the remote device, like /home/odroid/images. I have created a sequence and launched it. It runs fine without error messages but I don't know where the images have gone. This /home/odroid/images doesn't exists on the client side :unsure:
8 years 2 months ago #6782

Hi!

Do you get any error msgs? Do you (or the user running indi on the server) have write-permissions to the folder? IS there sufficent disk space? I found that when disk space is low, there might be similar problems.

Magnus
8 years 2 months ago #6783

In case for remote, the directory needs to exist and permission set to read/write/access (755) for the user running indiserver.
8 years 2 months ago #6785

@Magnus
No messages error on the server side (indiserver -vv indi_asi_ccd).

@Jasem
The folder which is /home/odroid/images has read/write/execute for all.
The indiserver is launched by odroid user on local device.
8 years 2 months ago #6788

• Thank you received: 46
Sorry to jump in here like this, but have you tried to type in a filename also ?? bacause INDI does not generate a random name for the image, and then trigger a new image from the INDI controlpanel.. just a wild guess.. :)
8 years 2 months ago #6790

Hi!

Same thing here tonight - in the /tmp folder on my laptop (the client) images are stored, and they are not deleted when I close the preview. I download the files from the server (the R-Pi by the telescope) in "native" format, that is, cr2. Does that matter?

Magnus
8 years 2 months ago #6795

back to the discussion,

I might be dumb because I can't store images locally on the odroid.
I tried a lot of combinations pointing always on the folder which is totally open for reading and writing.
home/odroid/images
odroid@10.0.0.1:/home/odroid/images
odroid:/home/odroid/images
10.0.0.1:/home/odroid/images
Nothing works.
If I try to use the button on the right side of the edit form to open the file explorer I get a popup that say that the server is not online and... crash

Have you any suggestion ?

Thanks
8 years 2 months ago #6800

Time to create page: 0.585 seconds