INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Joystick connected to remote computer?

• Thank you received: 62
Hi!

I'd like to be able to use a joystick, but cannot figure out how to do it when I use my remote setup. The telescope is connected to the Rasberry Pi server, but the joystick to my client laptop. How do I set this up? It all works rather nicely when I have it connected locally..... I start the indiserver with the module indi_joystick, but I cannot set the appropritate connection port, since it is on the client, not the server...

Magnus
7 years 11 months ago #7871

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 2
Hi,

I am also interested in this configuration. I also have a Raspberry Pi controlled remotely by a laptop with the Ekos virtual machine on it, and I would like to setup a joystick on this client laptop. I cannot try this configuration before next month though, as I do not have currently my joystick with me here.

Gorgias.
7 years 11 months ago #7902

It is possible. But you need to establish two servers, one local and one remote. For example, suppose on the raspberry pi (e.g. IP 192.168.1.10) you start:
indiserver -v indi_simulator_telescope indi_simulator_ccd

On the local machine start another INDI server:
indiserver -v indi_joystick "Telescope Simulator"@192.168.1.10 "CCD Simulator"@192.168.1.10

In Ekos, keep connection to remote, but set host to <strong>localhost</strong>. The local server is already chained to the raspberry pi, so you can use your joystick locally.
Last edit: 7 years 11 months ago by Jasem Mutlaq.
7 years 11 months ago #7905

Hi,

I have not been able to make my joystick work remotely.
My config:
Remote: Raspbian@Raspberry Pi 3, Celestron Nexstar 8SE (driver indi_celestron_gps)
IP of the machine: 192.168.2.2
I run indiserver -vv indi_celestron_gps

Local: Ekos VM Kubuntu 16.04, Saitek Cyborg V1 joystick
I then run indiserver -vv indi_joystick "Celestron GPS"@192.168.2.2

When I connect Ekos to localhost:7624, both the joystick and the celestron telescope appear in the list of devices. I can slew the mount manually by clicking on the buttons in the Celestron control panel, but I cannot move the mount with the joystick. I enabled the joystick mode in the Celestron control panel. When I move the joystick, the local server sees the movement (it is printed in verbose mode "vv"), but it looks like it does not send the commands to the remote server, because I do not see any network traffic.
Could it be an issue with the name of the Joystick to use in the Celestron options? I use "Joystick_1" like I do in local, it is OK?

Gorgias.
7 years 10 months ago #8292

• Thank you received: 15
Hi,

like Jasem, but only on the raspberry i've already done it like this :
indiserver -v indi_simulator_telescope indi_simulator_ccd "Joystick"@192.168.10.1
(with the IP address is my laptop).

After, on EKos, you start the device in remote and it's done !

Christian
7 years 10 months ago #8301

Okay, so you do the opposite of Jasem: you link the INDI server on the Raspberry with the (already running) server on your laptop? This is something I cannot do, because the INDI server on my Raspberry has to run autonomously without relying on another machine.
7 years 10 months ago #8304

Hi Gorgias,

yes, (I have forgot to mention) i start on my laptop the indi service for the joystick but i don't know if i start before or after the server launch. I believe that work while you didn't connect the client to the server before.

But if you cannot change anything on your raspberry the solution of Jasem will run (normally). You must indicate in your local indiserver where are the services with the syntax "name of service"@address and the joystick in local.

But, are you sure that your joystick run with your telescope ? when i tried I had used with a PS3 pad. Are you activated the joystick in the driver ?

Christian
7 years 10 months ago #8307

Hi,

after some rechearch, find the procedure to control with a joystick a remote telescope without change anything on the raspberry

1) on the rapsberry, in console :
indiserver -v indi_telescope_simulator indi_simulator_ccd
no need to add joystick in this stage.

2) on the pc/laptop, in a console ;
indiserver -v indi_joystick "Telescope Simulator"@raspberry "CCD Simulator"@raspberry

3) on the pc/laptop, in Ekos, configure a (new) profile with the telescope simulator, ccd simulator and aux1 (per example) with the joystick in local not remote.
The joystick is declared in local

4) in Ekos, start indi and connect all devices

5) in the telescope simulator option tab, activate the joystick (maybe already started)

play with the joystick :P move the telescope position in kstars.
7 years 10 months ago #8313

In my previous post, I mentionned that I do the following:

On the Raspberry:
indiserver -vv indi_celestron_gps

On the local computer:
indiserver -vv indi_joystick "Celestron GPS"@192.168.2.2

I then connect Ekos on the local computer to localhost:7624
In Ekos, both joystick and Celestron appears, and the joystick tab shows that the joystick is working. But in the Celestron tab, with the joystick enabled, the joystick does not manage to make the mount move.

I have 2 questions:
1) are the Telescope Simulator and the CCD Simulator required?
2) In Ekos, before connecting to the (local) server, is it important to choose the right devices? From my experience, after connecting, the devices of the server always show up.
7 years 10 months ago #8315

hi Gorgias,

i don't think so that ccd simulator is necessary.

Have you already testing with the simulator telescope ? maybe your joystick don't work in this case !

A tip, look in the monitor tab. You must see the value changing when you push the button. Another tip, zoom max on the telescope cross hair and look if the cross move when you push any button.
7 years 10 months ago #8316

Sorry for not being clearer, the monitor tab indeed shows that the joystick works. And when it was directly plugged on the Raspberry Pi (and while running only the remote server with the devices Celestron GPS and Joystick), it managed to control the Celestron mount.

I will try again tomorrow, and with the simulator telescope (but what is the purpose of the Telescope Simulator anyway? I have not been able to find documentation about it).
Last edit: 7 years 10 months ago by Clément.
7 years 10 months ago #8317

no, it's very clear but it strange :dry:

so, the joystick is ok, the mount is ok.

I don't remember if i already try outside of the simulator :dry:
when the weather will be acceptable i will try to control my Atlas mount with a joystick.

good night, i'm going to sleep :silly:

sy
Christian
7 years 10 months ago #8318

Time to create page: 0.601 seconds