INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

[SOLVED] Ekos local functions not working in PI

• Thank you received: 812
I am running KStars/Ekos and INDIServer on a Raspberry Pi 3 with Ubuntu-MATE installed. I have tried this on both KStars and Stars-Bleeding and the problem happens on both. I have noticed 2 problems that I think are related.

When I try to start a local INDIServer in KStars/Ekos on the PI, it does not work, no error messages are displayed in either the console or the log at the bottom of the screen, and it says "Starting INDI server. . ." When I start the INDIServer via the command line or using the new Web Manager on the same Raspberry Pi and then connect to it "remotely" using KStars/Ekos there is no problem and everything functions properly.

The other problem is in offline plate solving. I have installed Astrometry.net and have all the necessary index files in /usr/share/astrometry and configurations seem to be set properly. If I try to solve a field using the offline plate solver in KStars/Ekos on the raspberry pi, it takes the image, says that it is starting the solver and then nothing prints to the log below, nothing shows up in the console, and nothing happens other than a spinning dial. If I run the same command through the new "remote" solver running on the same Pi or if I copy and paste the same command to the command line on the pi, or if I try the same thing in the Ekos VM on my mac remotely connecting to the pi, the plate solves perfectly.

Neither problem will prevent me from using the system because I can start an INDI Server on the same machine and connect "remotely" to that server and I can do the plate solves "remotely" on the same computer and everything seems to work. But I do not understand why neither functionality seems to work properly using the "local" setting. Is there a program that should be running in the background that is not running? Is this a system specific issue, Ubuntu vs Kubuntu or Raspberry Pi specific? I did find that KStars-bleeding had some functions that did not work unless I started the program kded5, but this was not true of KStars stable.

If somebody has an idea of why these functions do not work, please let me know. Thanks!
7 years 9 months ago #8977

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Yes there is a problem with Ekos in local mode on the RPI3, I still haven't figured out the issue yet. Will update you guys once I know the problem.
7 years 9 months ago #8979

Ok, thank you very much!
7 years 9 months ago #8987

Just to let anyone know who stumbles into this topic, Jasem resolved this issue. It was a memory issue I believe. KStars was taking up almost 500 MB of RAM, which along with other programs meant that the Raspberry Pi was operating with 80 of RAM in use. But with his changes, it now takes up less than 200 MB of RAM and the Pi is only at 35% of RAM in use. Now it runs very smoothly. And the local indiserver and the astrometry server both work very well on the Raspberry Pi 3.
7 years 9 months ago #9209

Time to create page: 0.221 seconds