INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

[Abandonned] Ekos settings problems

• Thank you received: 1
Hello,
I installed Ubuntu 22.04 mate on a RPI4B 8GB, then set it up using this . Build is latest as of early july.
I could manage to understand and set up almost everything I need so far, but there remains a few problems I could not solve.
  1. I was not able to add my 500mm & 1000mm SLR lenses. It seems the limit is 300 mm. I had to add them to the telescope tab, but it does not behave the same as for lenses
  2. I was not able to add my DSLR doubler. It adds a dummy entry instead. I installed a db browser and had a look into the db : it seems there is no entry related to this section
  3. When driving my Nikon D4s DSLR, I could not find how to have the pictures saved to the D4s memory card. Whatever the settings, they are stored on the RPI's card
  4. When building setups, there is no way to edit an entry : a new one is always created instead, and one has to delete the unwanted one
  5. When using a shutter delay with the D4s, the exposure time does not take it into account : if I set 60s exposures, they will begin at the exact time the mirror is up instead of 3s later, when the shutter really opens
  6. I could not find how to activate or deactivate the shutter delay within the sequences (I do know what code does this, but not how to add it to the sequences so it is activated before the lights, and then deactivated before the darks).
I think that is all for now.
One more thing : I started digging into my SLR's commands, and could find which correspond to the codes in INDI dashboard Controls tab.
Is it worth sending them to you, so as you can add them to the config files, or would it be too much difficult ?
Rgrds,
J.-Luc
Last edit: 8 months 3 weeks ago by Jean-Luc.
9 months 3 weeks ago #93904

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by Jean-Luc on topic Ekos settings problems

Seems the more I will use it, the more issues I will be facing.
I had planned to spend ~3 hours acquiring with my ZWO last sunday, it took me 2 more hours before I could effetively start.
Nothing seems to work as the fine manual states it ought to.
OK, maybe am I stupid. However, I do not agree with the name the target is saved to, versus the one it ought to be according to the tags on the scrrenshot.
As one can see, the version is latest, but it does not really match with what the fine manual states .
And, before you tell me : if I add the tags after the folder name, they are erased as soon as I laucnh the process and only the path remains (/home/astropi/Pictures).
Maybe someone could tell me what - if ever - I am doing wrong ?
Or, do I have to open a bug report ?
rgrds,
J.-Luc
Last edit: 9 months 3 weeks ago by Jean-Luc.
9 months 3 weeks ago #93929
Attachments:

• Thank you received: 566

Replied by Hy Murveit on topic Ekos settings problems

Sorry you are having issues, Jean-Luc.

I can't tell exactly what your issue is, but I can guess. Please try the below and let me know.

(Please forgive me if you already know this, but) the way the scheduler and capture module tables work is as follows: It may not be the most intuitive thing, but once you understand it, it works. You can create a capture specification using the UI elements on the page (e.g. fill out all the details like exposure, number of captures, filename format, ...), then click on the '+' above the table, and those specifications are moved to a line on the capture table. Some of the specs are displayed on the line, but not all--there's not enough room. You can add several rows to the capture (or scheduler) table that way, where each line may have different specifications. Then that table can be saved to disk via the UI elements above the table, and perhaps read back in later.

Once you have some lines placed into the table, changing the UI elements on the capture page does NOT change the values stored for those rows in the table. So, if a row was added with a certain file naming specification, and then you change the specification, you'll still have the original spec in the row. When capture runs it will use that original spec. To modify (or even simply view) the specs in a row, you need to double click on that row--when you do that you'll then see the '+' above the table change to a checkmark. After double clicking, all the values stored for the row are transferred to the UI elements on the capture page, and you can view and modify them, and then hit the checkmark to transfer the possibly modified values back to the row. (And you can save the new table to disk if you like).

I'm guessing that this is what happened to you: Perhaps you created a row with a certain file naming spec, then later changed the spec on the page and assumed it would transfer to the row. To find out, double click on the row you're interested in, and see what the spec is on the "Format" line. If it changed to something you're not interested in, then edit the Format box, click check, and save your table. Then reload it and hopefully now it will pass the "double click test".

Hy
9 months 3 weeks ago #93930

Replied by Jasem Mutlaq on topic Ekos settings problems

You're saving to remote? then you need to put the full path to remote not just Pictures. If you want to save locally, then change upload mode to LOCAL
9 months 3 weeks ago #93931

• Thank you received: 23

Replied by Fitchie on topic Ekos settings problems

Save & load mechanism doesn't seem to work in my case...

1. Table created with only a single sequence line & local saved in Dropbox folder:

2. Table cleared & saved file from previous step loaded:

3. Table remains empty:

9 months 3 weeks ago #93940
Attachments:

Replied by Jasem Mutlaq on topic Ekos settings problems

Not sure if it is related, but you should rename "Sequences & Schedules" to just "jobs" or something simple. No spaces, no symbols.
9 months 3 weeks ago #93942

That indeed solves the problem!
Thank you!

Both the directory and the filenames must not contain any special characters and then it works perfectly!
Underscores are not a problem according to my tests.
9 months 3 weeks ago #93958

@Jason & @Hy,
Thanks for your replies.
I am not able to reply for now, but I will come back with more precisions and logs.
Rgrds,
J.-Luc
9 months 3 weeks ago #93959

• Thank you received: 0

Replied by Serg on topic Ekos settings problems

Hi all! I am a beginner user of kstars/ekos and I understand that my questions will seem silly) I used Astroberry for a short time.
Recently installed on Raspberry 4/4, OS Bullseye 64bit following this instruction indilib.org/forum/astroberry/12390-64bit....html?start=12#91418
There was a problem with the kstars interface. There are no telescope and guide settings in the highlighted field. Need help please)
9 months 3 weeks ago #93965
Attachments:

Did you already define your optical train(s) ?

See:
knro.blogspot.com/2022/10/kstars-v361-released.html
The following user(s) said Thank You: Serg
9 months 3 weeks ago #93967

Hello,
I have been digging a little deeper for the las two hours, and still cannot understand the philosophy of this all.
First, yes, I did understand that I had to set and save sequences that I would launch later and thatt would do the jobs I had set up. And I had done this already.
They do not appear on the screenshot, because at that time I was only testing the preview, in order to see how the thing behaves, where and how its stores the files.
For the two last hours, I have been trying to understand how it works when the sequences are run.
My conclusion is that it is not consistant. whether I set it to local or distant, it behaves two different ways.
As you can see ont he screenshot, I set the folder to Pictures for local shots and to Images for distant ones.
Though, there again, I still cannot understand the difference between each, as they both result in saving to the PI. And, yes : I know the time is not correct, I was too lazy to set it for my testings.
But let this for later, and let us focus on my main issue : get a consistant behaviour.
  • The target %t is M42, and
  • I want it to be stored to the distant folder Images,
  • in a subfolder nammed upon the target name %t,
  • then to another subfolder nammed upon the type %T,
  • and finnally the shot itself nammed upon the sequence name (ASI30s) %f, timestamp %D, exposure %e and sequence number on three digits %s3.
  • This results in Images/%t/%T/%f_%D_%e_%s3 and should give me something like Images/M42/Light/ASI30s_2023-07-12T02:21:54:975_30_secs_001.fit
But, as you can see, the result I get is far from what I could expect.
If I then try to store to local, with the same scheme, I actually get the correct naming.
Where is the problem ?

File Attachment:

File Name: log_03-04-45.zip
File Size:2 KB
9 months 3 weeks ago #93968
Attachments:

Good evening everyone !

It's another beautiful night so time to take pictures.
But while creating the jobs I came across the following strange fact:

As you can see:
- 10 pictures of 2 minutes
- 3 repeating runs
- 30 captures in total

Should be around 1 hour per job, and that correspond with the timing (next start - next end). But why the last job will run from 03:55 till 04:31 and not the expected 1 hour?

Even weirder is once the jobs are running the timings change and the counter increments simultaneously in all jobs, not just in the active one.

See screenshot below.

Last edit: 9 months 2 weeks ago by Fitchie.
9 months 2 weeks ago #93982
Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.833 seconds