INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Feature DustCap cange to FlatCap and DarkCap

• Thank you received: 72
Hi.

For an inexpensive dust cap option and flat light I finished ServoBlaster Cap two days ago. It is a duscap and lightbox interface that allows controlling an calibrating a servo for dust cap parking and unparking. It can also use USBRelay2 Roof (and power), or WiringPi GPIO to switch / trigger a light source.

As the 'driver' uses a external light source the option in Ekos imager to use a "DustCap" for bias, dark and flats, would not work as the cap park before turning on the light.
I will have my light source in the park position so I will just enable "DarkCap" and ParkMount.

I implemented and tested all the changes in Ekos, where DustCap is now FlatCap, and DarkCap is added.
Would really love it if it could be added to the Ekos source. If no one ends up using the ServoBlaster Cap driver it's still possible that someone manufactures a low cost DarkCap, giving the implementation purpose.

All changes are in this Gist. gist.github.com/magnue/3955f903cd07f7293634dc9c4c152991

Magnus.
Proud owner of Observatory 17b - A remote Linux observatory.
Build thread @ SGL: Starting summers observatory project
7 years 7 months ago #9687

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

So you have one driver to manage the dust cap and light source? If that'st he case, you can simply write a driver only for the light source and still could use the flat options. Or am I missing something?
7 years 7 months ago #9689

Yes, there is one driver with "Dust Cover: Park / Unpark" and "Flat Light: on / off", but that would not work with the Dust Cover "deviceSourceC" in Ekos calibrationoptions.ui

For Dust Cover you have: "For dark and bias frames, close the dust cap before proceeding. For flat frames, close the dust cap and turn on the light source."
This mean that if I just add a Light source and use the existing Dust Cover, the cap will be parked for flat frames when the light source is on.

If I just add a Light Source, and use "Wall", then the cap will not be parked for dark and bias.

So what I did was rename "Dust Cover" to "FlatLight enabled cover" that still is "For dark and bias frames, close the dust cap before proceeding. For flat frames, close the dust cap and turn on the light source."

Then I added "Dark cover, external light". This will park cap for dark and bias, and unpark cap + enable light for flats. "For dark and bias frames, close the dust cap before proceeding. For flat frames, open the dust cap and turn on the light source."

There already is an option for park mount in the calibration, so the light source will be mounted in the park position.

Not sure it's possible to achieve that behaviour with the exsisting Dust Cover?
7 years 7 months ago #9690

Where is the light source located? No motion is required? At any rate, for KStars stuff, you should submit the diff in KDE Review Board
Last edit: 7 years 7 months ago by Jasem Mutlaq.
7 years 7 months ago #9691

The light source is external and not connected to the cap. I will mount it on the wall where the scope points in park position. It is preferred not to have any motion while capturing flats, but the mount must park before starting flat capture, so the scope stays on the light source.

So the idea is to be able to use a cap with no light that can be made cheap, and use a external light. As an example a A4 LED backlit drawing board as a light source and a basic "rc style" servo to open and close lid. Not all budgets can buy the FlipFlat, but it's nice to have an option for dust cover - bias and darks, and an optional wall mounted light source for flats.

The ServoBlaster Cap driver is "fast tracked" and not a finished product, but when it comes to Cap's the only cap with built in flat light is FlipFlat. Not unlikely that others will make their own dust cap driver, use the servoblaster cap or some company make a budget cap? Just think Ekos could have the option for "Flat light enabled cap" and "Dark cap, (optional) external light"

I might have misunderstood something, but do thing this will be two different types of dust caps, and could both be supported.

I'll check out the KDE Review Board. :)
7 years 7 months ago #9692

Added to KDE Review Board git.reviewboard.kde.org/r/128718/ :)
7 years 7 months ago #9693

No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationCreated a quick and cheap Cap for ServoBlaster Cap from parts i found laying around. Old servo from a rc helicopter that i sold two years ago, etc.
Servo is Futaba s3050, and works great with the driver. Also ordered this light source
The device looks heavier than it is. The "Box" is mostly hollow, except the servo.

I'll add some pictures in case someone gets inspired for some DIY.

And a 17sec video :)

The following user(s) said Thank You: Jasem Mutlaq
Last edit: 7 years 7 months ago by Magnus.
7 years 7 months ago #9700
Attachments:

This is truely great stuff Magnus! Can you please write a complete HOWTO? I'd like to post it on the main website! Thanks a lot!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Magnus
7 years 7 months ago #9702

Thanks.
Will this readme work? github.com/magnue/indi_servoblaster_cap/blob/master/README.md It explains everything from installation to calibrating the servo.

The device can be made in many ways, and mine is probably not the best one can make, but feel free to use the pictures :)
7 years 7 months ago #9703

Or were you thinking about a HOW TO on building the device? I did not take any pictures while building it, but i can make a step by step explanation on what to consider when making one, using the finished product as ilustration.
7 years 7 months ago #9706

Yes, a DIY HOWTO would be great!
7 years 7 months ago #9707

Sure.

Just finished a small HOWTO. I can push it to my github repository, or mail it to you, and you can see if you can use it.
It's in markdown and 328kB total with pictures.

/ Edit.
Uploaded to github.com/magnue/indi_servoblaster_cap/...r/BUILDING_DEVICE.md Feel free to use the pictures in github.com/magnue/indi_servoblaster_cap/tree/master/doc and / or parts of the github.com/magnue/indi_servoblaster_cap/blob/master/README.md

Let me know if it's usable :)
Last edit: 7 years 7 months ago by Magnus. Reason: Added links
7 years 7 months ago #9729

Time to create page: 0.251 seconds