INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Ekos and Canon 6D setup

• Thank you received: 11

Replied by Andreas on topic Ekos and Canon 6D setup

I don't think the gpu_mem tweaking is of great use for us. The cpu memory shrinks the same amount and afaik the fits are made by the cpu.
Some guys who play games on Pis do have benefits from this. www.reddit.com/r/RetroPie/comments/4ckx6...mory_split_for_pi_3/
I changed gpu_mem like described here: www.raspberrypi.org/documentation/configuration/config-txt.md (2nd chapter)

edit: the swapfile is used by up to ~200M after makeing the fits. If you hit the autostrech button it will use about ~500M.
Last edit: 7 years 5 months ago by Andreas.
7 years 5 months ago #11501

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

I will try to optimize memory usage of the FITSViewer tool so that it works on limited memory systems. I have 32GB DDR2 RAM @PC3200 so it's instant :D
7 years 5 months ago #11504

• Thank you received: 1

Yeah, go ahead and gloat!

A couple questions for you....
1. Is there a way to turn off the FITS image viewer so I don't have to see every sub after it's taken?
2. In the Canon DSLR settings in INDI Control Panel, what does "Capture Target" Internal RAM vs. Memory Card do?
3. Is there a way to get Ekos to just let the camera store the images on the camera's SD card with not transport them onto the Pi3 at all? I'm comforatable doing that if I have option of viewing one of the frames now and then to see how I'm doing. It may speed things up.
7 years 5 months ago #11512

I posted on the other post about the image for Pi3 thread about overclocking to see if anyone tried it.

Well, I used the settings from this web site: haydenjames.io/raspberry-pi-safe-overclocking-settings/ and, altough I have no way to show it scientifically, I think it sped things up a bit.

I took a preview in FITS as I've been doing and I believe it dislayed the image about 15 seconds earlier than it was doing before. Before the test, a preview on my Canon 6D was taking about 80 seconds to fully process and show up in the FITS viewer. After making the overclock settings, I think it took just over a minute.

I realize there's a risk here. The web site listed claims the settings he has posted are "safe" as he's seen no crashes and they don't void warrantees. I'm willing to experiment, so I tried it.

I'd be interested in hearing if anyone else has tried it.....if it was worthwhile......if it caused problems.....etc.
7 years 5 months ago #11514

• Thank you received: 7

Replied by Lars on topic Ekos and Canon 6D setup

Hi,
Sorry for the long delay, but have been very busy and still is.

I updated all programs in my Raspberry, now the Canon 6D camera controls works. Maybe some problem with the computer speed and memory. But I can take photos now. Thanks all of you who have done so lot of work and solved so much problems.

I will continue with this later, it's very interesting and if will work well I will have a much better equipment to controll my devices.

In parallell with this I have ordered a new 3" flattener and with that i hope to reduce the vignetting in my optical system and maybe in the future I can handle a medium format camera. Also the off-axis guider camera will work better now with more light in. I will write about it on my homepage, but a slowly progress expected.

BR
/Lars
Last edit: 7 years 4 months ago by Lars.
7 years 4 months ago #12593

• Thank you received: 11

Replied by Andreas on topic Ekos and Canon 6D setup

Hi at All,
this: indilib.org/forum/ekos/1687-tip-for-ekos...d-devices.html#12499 improved downloading the fits. It's only a quarter (estimate) of the time needed.

Andreas
7 years 4 months ago #12601

Alignment Module question for the group.

Are you guys using your Canon 6D to do alignments in the alignment module? If so, do you have a recommendation for good settings to use? I'm mostly concerned about the script commands that appear in the tool and if those are working OK for the 6D or if I should change/add/delete anything. I'm still waiting for a chance to get this rig out and test it but when I do, I would like to be close to the right settings when I start out.
7 years 4 months ago #13037

I finally got outside with this thing and gave it a try tonight. Everything worked fine except the alignment module failed to solve any images with my 6D. I made sure the scope details were correct and saved so the field of view in the alignment module looked good. I was offline and I have all of the index files downloaded in the astrometry folder that I need (more than I need, actually, just to be sure). It captured, attempted to solve for maybe 30 seconds and then reported that it failed.

I haven't touched any of the setup items; left them at default. Any trouble-shooting suggestions? I had tried to solve some images indoors previously by loading them to solve with the same results. My All Sky Plate Solver solves them fine, so they're solvable.
7 years 4 months ago #13077

Logs? Did you turn Alignment logs on? Did you turn astrometry.net verbose on?
7 years 4 months ago #13081

Unfortunately I did not. And now, after I brought everything inside, my mounts motor controller board has gone on the blink.

It was taking and displaying images. Can I use the telescope simulator to get the alignment module up and try solving the images that I took with logs tuned on? Will that give you what you need?

Are the images taken by the alignment module stored in a different pace than the regular images from the camera module or are they deleted afterwards?
7 years 4 months ago #13087

The alignment images are not stored. Next time you try it out, make sure to enable the logs (INDI and Alignment) and also to enable Verbose astrometry.net under Ekos options.
7 years 4 months ago #13092

Thanks. I will do that once I'm up and running again, which will take a couple weeks. The motor controller circuit board on my mount went bad. Orion is having me mail it to them to look at and replace, if needed. So I'm stuck for a while.
7 years 4 months ago #13099

Time to create page: 0.730 seconds