INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Not saving frames from Nikon d5500 when set with "native" mode

• Thank you received: 23
I am experimenting with a client setup connected to my Nikon d5500.

I have a Raspberry PI 3 connected to my d5500, the server started using the web interface set up with a Nikon DSLR. I spin up Ekos in a VM on my mac, connect as a client to the pi, start the indi server, and connect to the camera- all is well. Preview works, everything looks as it should.

When I try to take actual shots - that is the part isn't working how I want. When I have the camera settings set to FITS with compression off and take a real shot (sequence of 1) it downloads fine - takes about 80 seconds to transfer and save to the VM that Ekos is running on. When I switch to FITS/Compressed it takes about 60 seconds. In each case it saves the file to the specified directory.

If I switch to native instead of FITS the time to download drops down to about 20 seconds- but all it does is open up the Nikon DSLR viewer - it doesn't automatically save the file. Is there a setting that I am missing? I would really rather post-process these on the faster machine than on the PI.

Thanks,

-jamie
7 years 5 months ago #11028

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Does it generate an NEF file or what?
7 years 5 months ago #11037

All it does is open the file in the "KStars Image Viewer: Nikon DSLR" - but it seems to only be in memory. I tried both compressed and raw with the native transfer format.

The viewer comes up like this:

I did a
sudo find / -name *.nef -o -name *.NEF
and there are none on the Ekos machine.

When I switch back to FITS it works (but takes ~5x longer). Notice that the viewer that comes up for the FITS file has a tab with the name

(yes, those are just pictures of my stairs :side: )

I am in "client" mode for saving (on the INDI control panel, Nikon DSLR -> Options -> Upload)- I tried "Both" as well, but that didn't ever seem to work, and just spun the downloading icon- and one time forced me to reboot my PI.
Last edit: 7 years 5 months ago by Jamie Smith. Reason: fix image
7 years 5 months ago #11049
Attachments:

What are you capturing? RAW? JPEG? I believe Nikon produces NEF files for RAW hence I asked. But it appears you are using JPEG since an image is being displayed and I don't have any code to handle NEF.
7 years 5 months ago #11060

It appears that it was using jpg - though it wasn't saving them.

I did a new install on a kubuntu and realized that the version of kstars I had was out of date, so I did an apt-get upgrade and got a newer one.

I switched to RAW in the capture settings, and now it DOES download and save the NEF! It doesn't, however, put it in the Lights/ folder that I have specified, nor does it apply the naming patterns to it - it just drops them in the home dir as:
-rw-rw-r-- 1 indi indi 28186427 Oct 27 21:54 file_2016-10-27T21:54:20.nef
-rw-rw-r-- 1 indi indi 28260438 Oct 27 21:59 file_2016-10-27T21:59:26.nef

Though at weird times it resets my frame size to subframing. It seems like I lose quite a bit of functionality using NEF - I will just stick with the FITS.

Thanks for great tools!
7 years 5 months ago #11071

Will be releasing a new version of KStars soon that would handle NEF as well. Maybe later today.
7 years 5 months ago #11072

I will keep an eye out - what is the best way to pick up updates? apt-get upgrade?
7 years 5 months ago #11073

Time to create page: 0.637 seconds