INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Developing Driver for Arduino

• Thank you received: 2
Lacking experienced with the tools; my goal is to produce drivers for some Arduino devices. The first project is a DC motor focuser. I know that there are templates for INDI Arduino drivers but first I must learn how to use the tools.

QtCreator 5.7.0 and related Qt tools are installed. Including Qt5Network. (But not Cmoc and Ctest) on Ubuntu MATE 16.04

Reference:
www.indilib.org/develop/developer-manual...ent-environment.html

So I have ~/Projects/indi directory structure

I also have ~/Projects/training where qt-tutorial-01 is stored. This tutorial gives a very basic grasp of how the Qt tool can be used.

I have read the INDI White Paper so that also teaches a lot.

After several hours of exploration and tests, some questions arise.

Is it possible to have KStars-Ekos using the indiserver etc. on the /Projects/indi/libindi-build path rather than the /usr/bin ? My attempts failed (using the webserver localhost:8264) when I disabled the /usr/bin/indiserver in favour of the /Projects/indi/libindi-build and rebooting….)

If this problem can be solved, then the next issue can be the availability of a “test driver” to add to the list to test in Ekos. I would start with the indi driver tutorial examples. How are these builds to be included in the list categories for device drivers? (Probably via the development environment configuration …..?)
7 years 4 months ago #11808

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

If you're developing a driver, there is no need to care about indiserver. The way drivers are displayed in Ekos is via XML files (see /usr/share/indi). To use a self-contained 3rd party example driver, check out Generic CCD , you can see once you compile and run sudo make install that it installs indi_generic_ccd.xml to /usr/share/indi and then you'll find "Generic CCD" in your drivers list in Ekos.

Ok I made another video and posted it here: indilib.org/develop/developer-manual/163...ent-environment.html

So that it becomes super clear and easy on what to do!! I hope that helps
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sébastien
Last edit: 7 years 4 months ago by Jasem Mutlaq.
7 years 4 months ago #11810

Replied by VTVL on topic Developing Driver for Arduino

Jasem,
Thanks for the additional video.
Some learning observations with the QT Creater tool:

1)
Cannot configure via QT Tools/Options/ Build & Run the build dirctory WITH the build parameters in the lower field. So it is only home/john/Projects/build/generic-ccd/

2)
kdesudo -c “make install” is not correct for Ubuntu MATE 16.04
apt-get install kdesudo fixes this.

3)
Install the project...
-- Install configuration: "Release"
-- Installing: /usr/local/bin/indi_generic_ccd
Why is the path not /usr/bin for indi_generic_ccd ? I copied the file to the /usr/bin
-- Installing: /usr/share/indi/indi_generic_ccd.xml
This directory is correct.

4)
Debug Monitor Icon near bottom left of QT (above green run button) has indiserver
and indiserver(2) . I do not know why and I do not know how to delete indiserver(2).

I can however start the indiserver and the indi_generic_ccd .
The Run button invokes
/usr/bin/indiserver -v indi_generic_ccd
The snooping is reported in the application output window.
I can then confirm the start of indiserver and the indi_generic_ccd via connect via the Kstars-Tools-Device Manager Client Localhost port 7624. Then I see the panel for the generic_ccd which has Generic_ccd Model 1 and Generic_ccd Model 2.
The INDI Web Manager also works.
7 years 4 months ago #11939

You must changed CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX to /usr as explained in the guide. I made it in bold and red if it wasn't clear before. To delete build targets, go to Projects --> Run --> then you can find a list and edit/add/delete
7 years 4 months ago #11940

Replied by VTVL on topic Developing Driver for Arduino

Progressing:…….
NFocus and Moonlite were examined. MoonLite appears to be easier to adapt to the command set in the arduino. I copied moonLite .cpp and .h and renamed them to arduinoDCfocus (indi_arduinoDC_focus). Using the Cmake procedure as in the tutorials I tested the arduinoDCfocus after editing .h and .cpp. It worked! The arduino focuser responded to many of the basic commands.
Next I want to edit “moonLite” to “arduinoDCfocus”. So I did find and replace.

When debugging the following error message is given.

#include "arduinoDCfocus.h"
#include "indicom.h"
#include <stdio.h>
#include <termios.h>
#include <string.h>
#include <sys/time.h>
#include <unistd.h>
#include <math.h>
#include <memory>
#define ARDUINODCFOCUS_TIMEOUT 3
#define POLLMS 250
std::unique_ptr<arduinoDCfocus> arduinoDCfocus(new arduinoDCfocus());

Issues

/home/john/Projects/indi/libindi/drivers/focuser/arduinoDCfocus.cpp:37: error: expected type-specifier before 'arduinoDCfocus'
std::unique_ptr<arduinoDCfocus> arduinoDCfocus(new arduinoDCfocus());

So I have done some more exploring of the library and I have Googled.

I cannot see why this message occurs. Please help.
7 years 4 months ago #12496

you can't create an object that has the same name as the class!! Call it something else like ardfocus or whatever
7 years 4 months ago #12497

Time to create page: 0.452 seconds