INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Problems/questions testing EKOS with Sony a7s

• Thank you received: 2
Hi,

i'm testing INDI-EKOS with Sony a7s and i have some question/problem:

• i select "RAW+JPG" but the files downloaded on pc was only JPG (Saving using "client" mode) . Do I must select "Client + Local" to preserve original raw? There's no way to save raw files on pc?
• Plate solve (offline mode) works fine only with FIT files? i tried to solve old JPGs without success (i used LPS filter but with "all sky plate solve" under Windows i had no problem with these JPGs). The FOV is displayed correctly and i downloaded the necessary astrometry files from "indilib.org/about/ekos/alignment-module.html"
• A lot of time the capture module fails during the last exposure (the cursor remain blocked on dowloading status and i must abort session and restart EKOS
• Guide module: dither must be done necessarily every exposure? there is no way to make dither every "n" exposures?

Sorry for my bad english

Thanks
Last edit: 7 years 4 months ago by giuseppe.
7 years 4 months ago #12080

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Hello.

1. RAW+JPG is not supported by the driver, select one of them at a time.
2. Plate solve also works with RAW/JPG. If it fails, please submit the file and the KStars logs.
3. Submit Logs
4. Currently not supported, but may enable this feature soon.

Good luck!
The following user(s) said Thank You: giuseppe, Tanveer Singh
7 years 4 months ago #12082

Thanks,

i didn't create log files sorry.

During next days i'll try another test and i'll create log files and i'll submit to you.
7 years 4 months ago #12084

I added "Dither every X frames" feature to Ekos and should be available in the PPA within the next 1-2 hours.
The following user(s) said Thank You: giuseppe
7 years 4 months ago #12086

Hi,

Thanks for frames option about dither!
this morning i made another fast test with same problems:

 i set only RAW in INDI set up as suggested;
 i used INDI with telescope simulator and CCD (for guide) simulator and gphoto to control Sony a7s
 i set "Both" option to download frames from camera
 i used PHD2 simulation to guide and worked fine
 log files attached
 jpg attached (NGC 7000). I used this file for plate solve
Capture module
• during first test i didn't convert automatically RAW in FIT: the capture module stops during acquisition and didn't complete sequence. I had to restart INDI. During these test no one file was dowloaded from camera to PC (no RAWs on PC) and no one file was in the camera (no RAWs on Camera)... --> every data lost

• later i tried to chek the option to convert automatically RAW in FIT. Also during these test the capture module stops during acquisition and didn't complete sequence. During these test the FITs file (the frames before module crash) was accurately downloaded and wrote on PC but as before the files RAW was not in the camera.
In both tests RAW files were lost and capture module didn't complete sequences.

Plate solve
• i tried to solve a NGC7000 jpg in offline mode without success. I enclose NGC7000 jpg and a screenshot from "all sky plate solve" that solved this jpg in 9 seconds without problem with the same indices installed.

Thanks so much for the support, i would like to use INDI EKOS if i can solve these problems

File Attachment:

File Name: indilogsfiles.zip
File Size:64 KB

File Attachment:

File Name: ngc7000.zip
File Size:3,724 KB

7 years 4 months ago #12116
Attachments:

Thanks for the logs. First of all, are you running INDI on a remote machine or is INDI/Ekos running on the same machine? If Ekos/INDI on the same machine, then it doesn't make sense to select "BOTH" since it will save twice to the same location, first time by the driver, and 2nd time by Ekos.

Then did you set the GPhoto setting such as pixel size to 16.8? Did you set the Telescope simulator focal length to 607mm? Where were the solver options when you ran it?

I also fixed an issue with GPhoto where it returns "unexpected message" when it was a timeout message.
7 years 4 months ago #12166

Hi,

Ok for "both", this was my misunderstanding: i thought that with "both" option i was able to save files on Sony camera and PC.

About pixel size: why i must set 16.8? the pixel size of sony a7s is 8.4... if i set 16.8 the FOV is totally wrong (my correct FOV is 204x136 that is correctly display in alignment module if i set 8.4).

This evening i set "Client" and made another test: no one sequence was finish and even no one frame was downloaded.
i tried to restart but now seems that gphoto driver desappear! (in INDI start module now i can't see the Gphoto menu for setting Camera...

I Attached
_a .odt file with "solver options" and screens shot of my set up for gphoto (before desappear...)
_a screen with gohoto driver problem
_logs ghoto

sorry but i'm new also in Ubuntu....

thanks so much for your help
7 years 4 months ago #12234
Attachments:

Hi Jasem,
During last test i noticed a thing that maybe can help to solve the acquisition problem: when i start a sequence , these are the cronological steps that i see :
1 start chronometer for first exposure
2 countdown
3 chronometer goes to 0
4 start “downloading” in ekos capture module
5 after about 1 second, i hear the Sony shutter!!

6 the sequence remain in “downloading” state and i must abort..

Why “downloading” start before shutter release?? (or why shutter is realased about 1 second after timer goes to 0?)
Maybe this is the reason because the sequence remain in “downloading” state..
Last edit: 7 years 4 months ago by giuseppe.
7 years 4 months ago #12291

Did you change any guide setting to use external guider?
7 years 4 months ago #12321

Hi Jasem,

I only set PHD2 in "guider type" and Dither in "Settings".

But during last tests i didn't run guide module; i only tried to make some sequences
7 years 4 months ago #12324

ok there was issue with using external guiding applicaton as it turns off BLOB transfer, it's fixed now (or so I hope), please update the PPA for INDI/KStars and try again.
7 years 4 months ago #12325

Hi Jasem

Great! now it works and i can complete every sequence.

I also undertand problem about Raw and Fit:
- if i set "RAW" and "FIT" the files were downloaded and wtrote in the correct folder that i choosed (with subfolder "light" ecc..);
- if i set "RAW" and "NATIVE" the files were always downloaded in "home" folder (the subfolder were created correctly in the folder that i choosed but every ARW files were always wrote in "home" folder. Can you fix this bug?

About plate solve? had you try to solve my jpg? i uploaded my jpg in astrometry.net with success but with ekos allignment module there's no match
7 years 4 months ago #12382

Time to create page: 0.707 seconds