Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
27 Feb 2017
INDI development team is happy to announce the release of INDI Library v1.4.0. This new exciting release builds on the maturity of INDI Library and comes with many new supported devices and fixes for existing drivers. Several improvements and enhancements are included in this release including native support for Cygwin and MacOS platforms in addition to Linux, BSD, and Windows (Client only).
Read More...
  • Page:

TOPIC: Now the offline plate solver is not working for me

Now the offline plate solver is not working for me 4 months 2 weeks ago #12947

I have this working with the simulator the other day, But now it is failing.

When I try to solve the output from the CCD simulator I get the following error with verbose enabled in the log:
2016-12-05T19:35:10 Solver failed. Try again.
2016-12-05T19:35:10 Reading input file 1 of 1: "/tmp/fitsnH6654"...
2016-12-05T19:35:10 /usr/local/astrometry/bin/solve-field --no-verify --no-plots --resort --downsample 2 -O -L 26.5497 -H 36.6805 -u aw -3 23.4917 -4 30.5514 -5 30 -W /tmp/solution.wcs /tmp/fitsnH6654
2016-12-05T19:35:10 Starting solver...
2016-12-05T19:35:10 Image received.
2016-12-05T19:35:09 Capturing image...
When I try to run that command by hand I get this error:
/usr/local/astrometry/bin/solve-field --no-verify --no-plots --resort --downsample 2 -O -L 26.5497 -H 36.6805 -u aw -3 23.4917 -4 30.5514 -5 30 -W /tmp/solution.wcs /tmp/fitsnH6654
Reading input file 1 of 1: "/tmp/fitsnH6654"...
Usage: image2pnm [options]

image2pnm: error: no such option: --mydir
augment-xylist.c:589:backtick Failed to run command: /usr/local/astrometry/bin/image2pnm --infile /tmp/fitsnH6654 --uncompressed-outfile /tmp/tmp.uncompressed.gjITLS --outfile /tmp/tmp.ppm.zved0D --ppm --mydir /usr/local/astrometry/bin/solve-field
 ioutils.c:567:run_command_get_outputs Command failed: return value 2
My options for the plate solver in the Ekos screen are
--no-verify --no-plots --resort --downsample 2 -O -L 26.5497 -H 36.6805 -u aw -3 23.4917 -4 30.5514 -5 30

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Now the offline plate solver is not working for me 4 months 2 weeks ago #12948

@knro I see that you posted a similar question on the astrometry.net github repo, I did in fact have multiple versions laying around. I cleaned up a bunch of the old ones and it seems better now.

try:
sudo find / -name image2pnm\*
/home/jamie/projects/astrometry.net/util/image2pnm.py
/home/jamie/projects/astrometry.net/bin/image2pnm
/usr/local/astrometry/bin/image2pnm
/usr/local/astrometry/lib/python/astrometry/util/image2pnm.py

Now the offline plate solver is not working for me 4 months 2 weeks ago #12949

I had exactly the same issue.
I fixed it by adding --no-fits2fits to command line.
In my case I had the issue with "Load and Slew" which does not have settings for configuring the command line, so I had to change the source code and recompile the program.
I am glad that I spent a cloudy night fetching the source code and compiling the program, so fixing this issue took few minutes this clear night B)

Alex

Now the offline plate solver is not working for me 4 months 2 weeks ago #12952

and I just removed "--no-fits2fits" recently since it was dropped from recent builds of astrometry.net, looks like it is required in _current_ builds. I contacted Dustin over at astrometry.net to inquire about what to to do and hopefully it will be fixed soon.

Last Edit: by knro.

Now the offline plate solver is not working for me 4 months 2 weeks ago #12956

Yes --no-fits2fits is required at least until 0.67 due to a known bug in pyfits/astropy.io.fits :( And it'll take some time until newer astrometry will reach the distributions repositories.

EDIT: The fits2fits bug groups.google.com/d/msg/astrometry/gtlRbaHnaKc/vgxT1PCrAgAJ

Last Edit: by lupinix.

Now the offline plate solver is not working for me 4 months 2 weeks ago #12970

Is there a reliable way to figure out what astrometry.net version is currently installed? I haven't researched how to do this yet so if anyone knows a quick way I can do it programatically from KStars then that's great. Some header file?

Now the offline plate solver is not working for me 4 months 2 weeks ago #12972

What happens with new builds of astrometry if --no-fits2fits is passed - does it crash?
As a workaround, would it be possible to allow user to configure command line params for "Load and Slew"?

Now the offline plate solver is not working for me 4 months 2 weeks ago #12973

It doesn't crash, it just fails.

Do you mean a separate command?

Now the offline plate solver is not working for me 4 months 2 weeks ago #12974

• nmac
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 37
Jasem, just a thought, maybe executing a shell command to query the package database:

dpkg -s astrometry.net | grep Version | cut -d ':' -f 2
or
apt-cache policy astrometry.net | grep Version | cut -d ':' -f 2

but that involves calling command line.Mine retreaves: 0.67+dfsg-1
I have not seen any files we could search for it.

(PT) SC@ROS Observatory
Atom x86_64 + RPi3 / Explore Scientific ES80480 / Canon 550D / ESFF 2" / ASI120MM / Arduino Moonlite DC Clone- HEQ5 Pro
RPi B+ / Orion 120ST / Atik 420m / WOIII / SSAG - Arduino Moonlite DC Clone - LXD75
www.flickr.com/photos/139335144@N03/
Last Edit: by nmac.

Now the offline plate solver is not working for me 4 months 2 weeks ago #12975

Can't use that, that's Debian specific. I found a way to figure out the version, but it only works for offline solver, not remote/online.. so I decided I'll just leave --no-fits2fits back in the option and add a warning that the user should remove it for astrometry.net version 0.68 or above. Maybe in 17.04 or 17.10 when 0.68 is used I'll completely remove it.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.812 seconds

Login

3rd Party

Choose from the numerous 3rd party INDI drivers to suit your needs!

Got Problem?

Check out the FAQ, the forum, and the bug tracking system to resolve any issues you might have!
You can also subscribe to INDI newsletter and development mailing lists to get the latest updates on INDI!

Gallery

Replica

Why INDI

Replica