INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Mount keeps slewing according to Ekos even after it has stopped

• Thank you received: 62
Hi!

I've got what I feel is an odd problem with my Losmandy G11. When I plate solve or start the scheduler, Ekos tells the mount to slew (after solving an image and when starting the scheduler). The hand control to my scope says "Finished" and the mount is still, but Ekos keeps telling me that it is "slewing" and does not come any further. So: scope is finished slewing, and is actually in the right position as verified by taking a picture there. But Ekos keeps waiting for it to finish, reporting it to be slewing. I have to manually interrupt Ekos.

Attached is a log, where this did happen, but unfortunately it also contains a lot more. I'm really not sure what this is all about. I've recently had troubles with my motors and have exchanged one of them - maybe this is nothing Ekos related. However, the mount seemes to work fine now, when operated manually. And it slews with Ekos, it's just that Ekos seems not to get information that it is finished slewing.

Anything I can check or try to make sense of it?

Magnus
7 years 3 months ago #13325
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Hi!

An update on this. Whenever I make a slew, Ekos seems not to get any information that the slew is finshed. I have tried switching the USB-serial adapter, but problem remains, I cannot try another serial cable since I don't have any other. Here is a log with only a slew, nothing else.

This is a new problem since the last few days, without any changes in my setup.

Magnus
7 years 3 months ago #13383
Attachments:

• Thank you received: 27
hi!
i seem to have a similar problem with a development of my own when using the serial connection (you use a RS232 cable, right?) - from my logs and your logs i have a slight suspicion that commands come in at a pace which overwhelms the 9600 baud serial line ... but that is just a rough idea ....
yours
wolfi
7 years 3 months ago #13400

Hi!

Yes, I wondered whether your issue was related to mine. And yes, I use a RS232-cable.

So if it is baud rate - how come this problem surfaces now, and not before? And is there a way to test that hypoethesis?

Magnus
7 years 3 months ago #13408

hi!

whe i first encountered issues with LX200 and my program, it was a problem probably on my side as KStars did track - but that was an old version that came with debian jessie. the new version/new indi installation now gave me the trouble that GD and GR are not properly transmitted or responded.

testing serial lines: hum, there is a few things i can try on my side, and it is not said that the problem is the same. however, terminal communication is feeble and LX200 has the special problem of not using lines or commands of defined length. maybe jasem can shed some light on this, let's wait and i will keep you updated if i find out something ;)
yours
wolfi
7 years 3 months ago #13426

Hi!

How about backing to older versions if the indi driver, if there is happening there? I didn't keep track of what version I had installed, but his began last week. But I'm not sure how to downgrade to an erlier version of the indi driver - do you know that? Or is that a bad idea?

Magnus
7 years 3 months ago #13428

hi! what os are you running? jessie deploys an old kstats version.
yours wolfi
7 years 3 months ago #13429

Hi!
Ubuntu Mate on the raspberry pi, updated.

Magnus
7 years 3 months ago #13438

hi!
if you install raspbian fon another sd card and install kstars from the repositories, you'll have an old version ...

yours
wolfi
7 years 3 months ago #13440

Hi!

Some update: I had a good night the day before yesterday, clear and still, but some hardware issues: one of my motors didn't work, so I had to solder the connections, then it's OK again. What was really interesting, was that after this the slew problem disappeared. Now the solving and scheduling worked nicely again! No software updates, no changed settings, just fixing the connections to the motor.

So: could this be something with the signals from the motors, rather than software as such? The problem with my motor was related to the encoder signals not being returned properly from the motor to the Gemini control unit. I don't really understand how Indi gets the information about slewing and finished slewing, but since this problem in a way is related to this, and fixing the hardware problem seemed to fix the Ekos issue, it could perhaps be related? (yeah, you can hear that I don't understand how the software interacts with the control unit)

Best,

Magnus
7 years 3 months ago #13542

It's a simple state transition. OK --> BUSY? Slewing started. BUSY ---> OK? Slewing completed. The OK & BUSY stuff are determined either directly form the mount, or if the mount does not support it then by a threshold value set by the user in some drivers (like LX200 Basic), so if the mount is within this threshold, then the slew is considered "complete".
7 years 3 months ago #13580

Hi!

I think this is solved - hardware issue. I replaced the DEC motor, now it seems to work flawlessly again.

Magnus
7 years 3 months ago #13809

Time to create page: 0.495 seconds